Adobe RAW queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

yehosaphat

Oct 28, 2005
North
Hi all,

Some queries hoping that you guys can help to clarify:

1) In your Adobe RAW pref, you can save image settings to .xmp or camera raw database. What is the purpose of each and which is better?

2) When you first open up Adobe RAW, there is a ! mark on your pic. What does that mean?

Thanks!

The "!" means the photo is running & getting ready for you to edit,it appears on everyone's adobe raw.As for your 1st question,im curious too :think:

Hi all,

Some queries hoping that you guys can help to clarify:

1) In your Adobe RAW pref, you can save image settings to .xmp or camera raw database. What is the purpose of each and which is better?

2) When you first open up Adobe RAW, there is a ! mark on your pic. What does that mean?

Thanks!
1) not sure about camera raw database, but the xmp is just to record the values you have set for each setting (eg, exposure, tint... etc)

2) iirc, the '!' mark juz mean that the computer is processing the image to get you the preview look. it will go away when the image is processed (with your settings)

Thanks for the answers to 2. For 1, by default it is save to .xmp. But every time you make changes to your RAW file, you create a .xmp file... very messy...

Thanks for the answers to 2. For 1, by default it is save to .xmp. But every time you make changes to your RAW file, you create a .xmp file... very messy...
eh you can overwrite the .xmp file... just drag it together back in photoshop with the raw file(same name), photoshop will open the raw image with the previous settings(in the .xmp) you have set. from there, you can reedit and when you close the .xmp will be overwritten with new settings.

Err... ok. Anyone tried changing the save as .xmp to the camera raw setting?

i'm quite new to acr so please correct me if i'm wrong:

When you edit a RAW image adobe raw doesn't have the ability to save all the changes you've made into the RAW file itself. Instead it can save the changes in 2 ways: 1)to a "sidecar" .xmp file which accompanies the main RAW file in the same directory. OR 2) into its main "database"

Pros and Cons--if you use the first way, to have an .xmp file, when you transfer your files to a new computer or if you format your computer etc etc, as long as the .xmp file is there, you can view your RAW files with the changes you made originally.

if you use the 2nd way, into the main database, the good thing is that neater, no .xmp file. The bad is that if you change computer or format etc. you will lose your changes as you'll be using a fresh copy of adobe RAW. i'm not aware of any way to back up this database, anybody knows?

personally i prefer the .xmp file, a bit more messy but i can live with it. don't really know if i'm 100% on this so those more experienced pls correct me! hope this helps

i'm quite new to acr so please correct me if i'm wrong:

When you edit a RAW image adobe raw doesn't have the ability to save all the changes you've made into the RAW file itself. Instead it can save the changes in 2 ways: 1)to a "sidecar" .xmp file which accompanies the main RAW file in the same directory. OR 2) into its main "database"

Pros and Cons--if you use the first way, to have an .xmp file, when you transfer your files to a new computer or if you format your computer etc etc, as long as the .xmp file is there, you can view your RAW files with the changes you made originally.

if you use the 2nd way, into the main database, the good thing is that neater, no .xmp file. The bad is that if you change computer or format etc. you will lose your changes as you'll be using a fresh copy of adobe RAW. i'm not aware of any way to back up this database, anybody knows?

personally i prefer the .xmp file, a bit more messy but i can live with it. don't really know if i'm 100% on this so those more experienced pls correct me! hope this helps

Wow, thanks for the sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.