Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatanic

Aug 9, 2007
Hi,

After self learning on the basic fundamentals of photography, i intend to start to self learn on the photo postproduction imaging using adobe photoshop but i just can't understand :

The difference between Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Photoshop elements.

Are they the simmilar program but different vesions? I tried reading on them but i got much more confused.

Are there any resources on how to use them?

Which one is better?

Hi,

After self learning on the basic fundamentals of photography, i intend to start to self learn on the photo postproduction imaging using adobe photoshop but i just can't understand :

Are they the simmilar program but different vesions? I tried reading on them but i got much more confused.

Which one is better?

Elements is the stripped down version. Cheaper and simpler to handle. But it lacks precise controls in certain areas such as curves, etc...

So choose what you need, simple editing tools or a more complex, do all type version e.g. CS.

;)

Hi,

Which one is better?

No there are not the same..

Photoshop element is consider a elementary version, where by photoshop is the full complex version. get the full version and u wouldn't go wrong.
its the best photo editing software i find.

Photoshop was never meant to be a photo post processing tool. It's used for editing and creating digital media. This means if you want to make your photographs creative, adding text or images, then use photoshop. Possibilities are endless which also means there will be a learning curve to produce certain desired effects.

However, i think you just require processing software to make your photos darker, lighter, enhance shadow, curves, contrast, brightness, saturation, hue etc.

If you want processing software for Photographs, use dedicated programs like Adobe Lightroom.

Best is to download a trial copy of both and see which one suit your needs as the price is hell of alot different.

Just switch over from Paintshop Pro XII to Photoshop Element 6. Although Element has lesser function, it's less buggy. My Paintshop Pro screen keep fickling... Dunno why?? And still unable to read FZ18 raw file... :dunno:

Best is to download a trial copy of both and see which one suit your needs as the price is hell of alot different.

Just switch over from Paintshop Pro XII to Photoshop Element 6. Although Element has lesser function, it's less buggy. My Paintshop Pro screen keep fickling... Dunno why?? And still unable to read FZ18 raw file... :dunno:

Lack of RAW plugin support?

can i also add borders and text on adobe photoshop elements?

are there any simple tutorial on the net on both photoshop CS and adobe photoshop elements?
tried to find it on the net but all seems too complicated.....

are there any simple tutorial on the net on both photoshop CS and adobe photoshop elements?

Yes, you can do so. By means of increasing canvas size and using the text tool.

There are plenty of such tutorials, do a search on google. Else look for books...

Yes, you can do so. By means of increasing canvas size and using the text tool.

There are plenty of such tutorials, do a search on google. Else look for books...

Infact, you can search the web for ready made photoshop action to do that.
Personally I have been using photoshop CS3 and I never look back since. It is a fabulous software and I am still exploring.

Okey... I've managed to find a few tutorial but the confusing part to me was where do I start? Too many controls.... I've tried exploring photoshop CS myself and it's a disaster and I don't even know what I'm doing. Where do u guys recommend me to start off with...

As a newbie myself, I'm also diving to learn Elements and CS2/CS3. If I find that my self tutorial is not enough, get some courses. There are announcements of such here. Not only you can ask questions in a course/workshop, but you network with fellow participants for more tips.

Where do you start... hmmm :think:

Let's see, what are the normal controls required for touch up of photos? This would be the starting point I suppose.

You'd need to learn more about clone tool, healing brushes, how to select the picture using different tools, how to use curves, levels, etc... this would be a start.

As a newbie myself, I'm also diving to learn Elements and CS2/CS3. If I find that my self tutorial is not enough, get some courses. There are announcements of such here. Not only you can ask questions in a course/workshop, but you network with fellow participants for more tips.

courses expensive lah.... unless got free lesson then i dun mind... hehehe....

i think it's best that u get those reference books to pick up the basics. from my own experience thus far, there are stuff that books can teach u that the average user often drops when imparting skills to u (the tool or tip may be useless to them but useful to u, n may save u time).

these books are normally not that cheap, costing in excess of $40 or $50. if u're on a tight budget, borrow them from the national libraries. they have tons of reference books. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.