Adobe Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

dharma

Jan 17, 2006
What is Adobe Lightroom? How does the effect when you edit your photos? and how different is it with Adobe Photoshop?

What is Adobe Lightroom? How does the effect when you edit your photos? and how different is it with Adobe Photoshop?

Lightroom is to manage your photos, as for photoshop is more for editing your photo.:)

To summarize it:
Lightroom (LR) is a RAW converter, photo editing software and photo database with features for slide show presentation, web page creation and printing.
It uses the same colour engine as photoshop.
If you are looking for a way to
> convert RAW files into jpeg
> file management
> common exposure adjustments (exposure, contrast, tone curve, saturation, hue, WB etc)
> advanced adjustments such as toning, cross processing
> dust removal, red eye removal
> easy printing
> syncronise correction from one photo to a whole batch
then LR could be something you might be interested

however if you do a lot of layer work and special localised work on photos then you need photoshop.
LR can fit in a workflow that includes photoshop:
import your RAW/jpeg files into LR
rate photos
make the principle adjustments in LR
crop and rotate
export to photoshop and do layer work and localised corrections

be warned that LR requires a lot of RAM (at least 1.5GB) as it works on a number of files simoultanously as compared to photoshop where you might work only on one file.

best is, as suggested by Ortega, to download the trial version and see how your computer copes with it and how you cope with it

To summarize it:
Lightroom (LR) is a RAW converter, photo editing software and photo database with features for slide show presentation, web page creation and printing.
> file management
> common exposure adjustments (exposure, contrast, tone curve, saturation, hue, WB etc)
> easy printing

however if you do a lot of layer work and special localised work on photos then you need photoshop.
rate photos
crop and rotate

be warned that LR requires a lot of RAM (at least 1.5GB) as it works on a number of files simoultanously as compared to photoshop where you might work only on one file.

best is, as suggested by Ortega, to download the trial version and see how your computer copes with it and how you cope with it

Very detail:thumbsup: :)

To summarize it:
> file management
> easy printing

rate photos
crop and rotate

Thanks so much.. your info really help!
But those editing can be done the same in photoshop right.. only in LR is faster...?

personally i prefer using lightroom... as its just simpler to use than photoshop CS1/2 raw editor...

i just apply some standard procedures... if dun like just remove them, non intrusive...

only thing that is not inside is the watermark & border feature, else it would be complete...

well... its still pretty simple to use...

check out this few pics edited by LR... but my skills are rather mediocre...

http://ntgen.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=12
http://ntgen.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=13
http://ntgen.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=14
http://ntgen.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=15

most are Raws then processed by LR.

once you played with LR, you'll forget adobe bridge.

absolutely fantastic program.
i love it.

its great... i had huge batches of unprocessed raw files that i had that i was just sitting on because the processing was taking so long.. since getting lightroom ive really been able to zip through them all. the curve tool in lightroom is so much better than photoshops as well.

having a spot healing tool is good too because its almost become a one stop shop for me.

the only negative aspect of lightroom is the poor noise reduction and sharpening.. but hopefully if plugins get introduced in the near future this will be resolved.

How much is LR?

Can you do batch processes for LR like in Photoshop?

I believe there is another thread that states the cost of LR and the cheapest is in some shop Funan. Can someone advise again?

Thanks!

And anyone doing an MO for this software? ;)

Wah buay swee la... no MO?

Anyway, where to get at $142?

Status
Not open for further replies.