Adobe LightRoom Beta for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it work yesterday at the Photoshop seminar. Really looks good, something like a sophisicated version of Picasa and more. The toolset and interface is really catered to photographers. Not that anything that can be done in Lightroom cannot be done in Photoshop, but it's great to see how Adobe is working on something geared to the digital photographer who would spend more time shooting than staring at the computer.

Then again, I'm an 80% Linux user, so I can't use Lightroom unless I boot into Windows (which I'm reluctant). So I really, really hope Adobe can port Photoshop and their whole Creative Suite to Linux!

Ah Pao said:
Saw it work yesterday at the Photoshop seminar. Really looks good, something like a sophisicated version of Picasa and more. The toolset and interface is really catered to photographers. Not that anything that can be done in Lightroom cannot be done in Photoshop, but it's great to see how Adobe is working on something geared to the digital photographer who would spend more time shooting than staring at the computer.

Then again, I'm an 80% Linux user, so I can't use Lightroom unless I boot into Windows (which I'm reluctant). So I really, really hope Adobe can port Photoshop and their whole Creative Suite to Linux!

Hi, how is lightroom when compared to Canon's digital photo professional 2.1? thks

kenrai said:
Hi, how is lightroom when compared to Canon's digital photo professional 2.1? thks
Hi,

Haha, your question is really broad...is there any feature that you are looking out for, e.g. RAW conversion or overall speed? I can't do a full feature-to-feature comparsion 'cos it will (1) take too much time, and (2) I don't use both software much. I stick to Photoshop and Gimp.

Anyway Lightroom now is a free beta, and only expires at Jan 07, so you can download and try it out.

Lightroom works fine for me on Windows. I was on Adobe forum few days ago, and somebody commented that it requires more RAM than Camera Raw.

Find it pretty handy. Just processed some stuff on it. Slow? It's pretty fast on my rig :sweat:

I have been using RSP so far, which has been bought over by Adobe and is being replaced by LR. I think the workflow of LR is just awful and does not work for me. The is this unnessary Libary function, a slide show that can be used for presentation but not for sorting, no batch export, no jpg export from printing. Its a program that wants to do too much instead of focusing on RAW conversion only.
Adobe should have a good look at RSP which they bought and the redesign LR.....

Can't get used to the Library function also. Wish they have a Browse mode like other RAW processing software. And the processing just takes too loooooong... :(

Lightroom is sooooo sloooooow on my P4 3.2ghz with 2gig RAM. I spend all the time "waiting" for the tupi thing to become ready. Really man! It is unusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.