Adobe Lightroom 3 and Photoshop Element 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanfong

Dec 4, 2007
I'm currently using Lightroom 2 and PS CS3, both academic version.

I'm planning to get Lightroom 3 and PSE 8 all commercial version next year.

I would like to seek your opinion about the combi and will I miss out anything?

Any real difference between LR 2 & LR 3 ??

I'm still happily using LR ver2.5, don't think there's really a need to change to LR 3 (save some $$$ :sweat:)

Currently, using LR ver2.5 + Photoshop Element 6..... :bsmilie:

Hmmm... sanfong, I may be wrong, but I can no longer find the academic edition for Lightroom.

You are not wrong, its not for sale anymore. As I mentioned earlier, I'm currently using the academic version which I bot it earlier.

So are you using LR and PS/PSe too?

Any real difference between LR 2 & LR 3 ??

I'm still happily using LR ver2.5, don't think there's really a need to change to LR 3 (save some $$$ :sweat:)

Currently, using LR ver2.5 + Photoshop Element 6..... :bsmilie:

Hi, I assume u mainly using LR2.5 to organise and proccess ur photos. So does PSe6 useful to you? can share for wat reason sometimes u need PSe?

You are not wrong, its not for sale anymore. As I mentioned earlier, I'm currently using the academic version which I bot it earlier.

So are you using LR and PS/PSe too?

I am using PS CS4.
For cataloging I am using the Adobe Bridge that comes together with it.
One day I might just give Light Room a try.

I am using PS CS4.
For cataloging I am using the Adobe Bridge that comes together with it.
One day I might just give Light Room a try.

I see. I'm sure u will love it and realise how fast u can assess and edit ur photos ;)

You have to upgrade to LR3 if you are going to get a new DSLR to shoot in RAW and LR2 cannot read the new RAW format. That was the case for LR1 and I was forced to upgrade to LR2 because Adobe stopped LR1 updates to support new RAW formats :cry:

I see. I'm sure u will love it and realise how fast u can assess and edit ur photos ;)

LR and PS are different tools and complement (not replace) each other. While LR allows you to make adjustments to the general settings, it does not gives you the flexibility of a PS. For example, you cannot process HDR , add a gradient blue sky, etc in LR. I do agree that LR does makes the workflow a lot more convenient for making those minor adjustments such as cropping, WB, curves, etc.

You have to upgrade to LR3 if you are going to get a new DSLR to shoot in RAW and LR2 cannot read the new RAW format. That was the case for LR1 and I was forced to upgrade to LR2 because Adobe stopped LR1 updates to support new RAW formats :cry:

if LR2 can use, no need to upgrade. A lot of people upgrade software for the sake of upgrading. Most people don't even use 20% of all features of a software.

PS3 to PSE is like a downgrade to me... :sweat:

But it all depends on your workflow... between lightroom and PS, which are u spending more time with? Does lightroom 3 have features which you need as part of your workflow that isn't available in LR2?

I don't even use 10% of what LR offers, I stick to PS most of the time... so upgrading won't make sense to me.

LR and PS are different tools and complement (not replace) each other. While LR allows you to make adjustments to the general settings, it does not gives you the flexibility of a PS. For example, you cannot process HDR , add a gradient blue sky, etc in LR. I do agree that LR does makes the workflow a lot more convenient for making those minor adjustments such as cropping, WB, curves, etc.

if LR2 can use, no need to upgrade. A lot of people upgrade software for the sake of upgrading. Most people don't even use 20% of all features of a software.

I dun use HDR at all so I think should be alright. I like the LR2's adjustent features a lot and i spent almost 99% in LR2. I like the adjustment tools and the brush and many things that save me a lot of steps in PS/PSe.

PS3 to PSE is like a downgrade to me... :sweat:

But it all depends on your workflow... between lightroom and PS, which are u spending more time with? Does lightroom 3 have features which you need as part of your workflow that isn't available in LR2?

I don't even use 10% of what LR offers, I stick to PS most of the time... so upgrading won't make sense to me.

Haha I tried the LR3 Beta, it does improve and add in a few tools. I find it quite useful. Same as you, I use the first 2 module only. So I'm almost spending 100% on 50% of the tools haha... There must be a reason to upgrade, or else the Adobe marketing and R&D dept will get fired. And I'm looking forward for it to launch.

I am using Aperture.. haiz.... but I still believe lightroom is better...

I went to a few seminar and talks, some of them introduce Aperture like god-send software. But from what I see from their demo does not convince me. I'm a LR user by the way. ;)

Actually, the first question is to ask why you want LR 3?

First and foremost, if you are upgrading your CAM, you can always convert your shots to DNG through the free DNG convertor and then open the shots up again in whatever version of LR that you are using or even PS.

That said, if you are going for the better features of LR 3, then go for it. Otherwise, you're just throwing money down the drain.

The only reason why PROs upgrade PS/LR is because of the newer features that they may seem to want, but if the current tools does the job for you, why not save your money and stick to the old tools because they get the job done.

Actually, the first question is to ask why you want LR 3?

First and foremost, if you are upgrading your CAM, you can always convert your shots to DNG through the free DNG convertor and then open the shots up again in whatever version of LR that you are using or even PS.

That said, if you are going for the better features of LR 3, then go for it. Otherwise, you're just throwing money down the drain.

The only reason why PROs upgrade PS/LR is because of the newer features that they may seem to want, but if the current tools does the job for you, why not save your money and stick to the old tools because they get the job done.

Precisely, I'm very sure what are my reasons to why I want and why I must use LR and I have many reason to upgrade as I'm shooting events and for my own portfolio. The new tools are certainly useful to me too. Having PS is to aid in certain area like fixing barrel distortion, using layers for creative processes, montage etc. I'm very sure LR can't do these. People using both sofware knows the purpose and usefulness.

The reason I'm asking is because I have not tried PSe before and I'm not sure if I will miss out anything cos many tools in PS i dun use it as the rest are for graphics. That's why I dun wan to throw additional money for uneccessary tools. Cos I'm getting commercial version, it will be cost effective if I chose the correct software.

So... is there anyone so called downgraded from PS to PSe and very contented? Can share why? and what is it that dun make u feel lose out? Tks.

Last edited:
hmm.. i thought that Lightroom 3 is beta version only? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.