Adobe Digital Negative...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess there is no one in SG that does....

I am a recent convert to be using it. Saves money in the long run. :thumbsup:

I convert to dng as the PS I use, can't open my camera's raw files.

There are some free raw conversion tools. I use Canon and find their DPP (free) pretty good too.

I guess there is no one in SG that does....

I am a recent convert to be using it. Saves money in the long run. :thumbsup:

I convert raw to dng too. Cos i hate it when different cameras uses their own raw files.

What do you mean by "saves money in the long run.?

2evans proves my point...

Legal copies of PS do cost a lot of money to buy and it will go into the hundreds of dollars.

Like 2evans, he's on a 5D MkII but uses CS3 to work in adobe bridge.

Do you know that you can still open DNG files if that particular version of DNG can be opened by CS2?

So technically, you are no longer limited by which version of CS you are using but whether or not the version of DNG converter can convert your RAW to that particular version of CS.

So for 2evans, he doesn't really need to run the latest version of PS until he really needs the new features of PS for his workflow.

am also converting my .nef and .raf to .dng - reason??? though hdd is getting cheap right now but still i prefer to save hard disk space...:)

For my RAW files (8MPix) there is no difference between RAW and DNG.

I convert to DNG directly when importing into Lightroom. I don't like to be depending on camera maker's software to open a camera file. Already bad enough that different RAW converters give different results since the specs are kept secretly.

i think that the key rationale for the DNG format is that since Adobe is the leader in the imaging software industry (and probably for a long time to come), using their format would give your images a greater "longevity" in that you will still be able to read them in the future. and in the case that camera companies go out of business (their formats becoming obsolete).

i think that the key rationale for the DNG format is that since Adobe is the leader in the imaging software industry (and probably for a long time to come), using their format would give your images a greater "longevity" in that you will still be able to read them in the future. and in the case that camera companies go out of business (their formats becoming obsolete).

That wouldn't be much of a difference compared to PSD files. The key is that DNG is Open Source, there are no royalties, trade secrets or other proprietary components inside. This makes DNG a format for the future - as long as Adobe doesn't abuse the situation by turning away from Open Source after market acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.