Adobe Buys over Pixmantec


Status
Not open for further replies.

jdredd

New Member
Mar 30, 2006
1,266
0
0
#2
not necessarily a bad thing..

adobe is pioneering a universal raw standard... which may come in useful one day when xyz camera company no longer supports its proprietary format.
 

simon80

Deregistered
Oct 8, 2004
1,469
0
0
#5
is quite a good software .. might want to DL it before is gone
 

Watcher

Senior Member
Feb 9, 2003
2,307
0
0
The heart of the Abyss
Visit site
#8
jdredd said:
not necessarily a bad thing..

adobe is pioneering a universal raw standard... which may come in useful one day when xyz camera company no longer supports its proprietary format.
BTW, DNG is just an attempt to capture more market share and not really for the above reason. If they stop supporting, well, you can either 1) archive the old program that can read the files with the images or 2) like with DNG, convert to a more universal format like TIFF or even PSD or PNG.
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#9
I dun see anything wrong with DNG. If it becomes a industry standard like TIFF or JPEG and all camera makers adhere to the standard it'll be beneficial for everyone.

BUT if DNG is going to be another properietary RAW format jsut for Adobe then I think the world can do with one less closed-door/encrypted/paid system.
 

Watcher

Senior Member
Feb 9, 2003
2,307
0
0
The heart of the Abyss
Visit site
#10
yanyewkay said:
I dun see anything wrong with DNG. If it becomes a industry standard like TIFF or JPEG and all camera makers adhere to the standard it'll be beneficial for everyone.

BUT if DNG is going to be another properietary RAW format jsut for Adobe then I think the world can do with one less closed-door/encrypted/paid system.
There is nothing majorly wrong with it except that the user may now be at the mercy of Adobe. I'm not sure of the licensing condition for the current version, but then, they can come up with new version that can give you major problem if you are not using their software.

If anyone really wants to debate about the pros and cons of DNG, DPReview has a few threads on it...
 

Andy Ang

Senior Member
Jan 10, 2006
2,875
0
0
Dreamy Nikon Land
#11
Aren't we already living in the mercy of Bill Gates anyway?

I support Adobe, cos then I will be getting more value for my money when I get the CS2 Original (Or CS3) in years to come! ;)
 

Watcher

Senior Member
Feb 9, 2003
2,307
0
0
The heart of the Abyss
Visit site
#12
Andy Ang said:
Aren't we already living in the mercy of Bill Gates anyway?

I support Adobe, cos then I will be getting more value for my money when I get the CS2 Original (Or CS3) in years to come! ;)
Well, my impression is that MacOS and Linux and OpenOffice are viable alternative. Is there one for CS2?
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#13
GIMP? it's good enough for me to get by my simple exposure/colour fixing. All the tools I use are available.
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#15
saw that coming. I knew that colour management part was going to be the issue (probably the only issue with GIMP). GIMP itself doesn't have CYMK layer seperation but there are plugins for that. ICC softproofing is also available via plugins. It'll probably be a little hassle to download plugins seperately but at least they get the job done.

GIMP is still quite in its infancy so I don't expect it to have all the bells and whistles compared to a giant like Adobe..furthermore, it's FREE. Still, I doubt many in here use like more than 20% of photoshop's available tools or do pre-press stuff that require strict CYMK standards or a powerful/accurate colour management engine.

:think: then again.. when DNG takes off.. will adobe open up it's standards for open source developers like GIMP to use? :think:
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#16
Watcher said:
Well, my impression is that MacOS and Linux and OpenOffice are viable alternative. Is there one for CS2?
anyway, if adobe buys over pixmantec, they'll absorb their technology and can make a better version of photoshop in future wun it? It'll be better for Photoshop supporters and users also no? :D
 

Watcher

Senior Member
Feb 9, 2003
2,307
0
0
The heart of the Abyss
Visit site
#17
yanyewkay said:
anyway, if adobe buys over pixmantec, they'll absorb their technology and can make a better version of photoshop in future wun it? It'll be better for Photoshop supporters and users also no? :D
There are bets that they buy them out to eliminate a competitor...
 

Watcher

Senior Member
Feb 9, 2003
2,307
0
0
The heart of the Abyss
Visit site
#18
yanyewkay said:
saw that coming. I knew that colour management part was going to be the issue (probably the only issue with GIMP). GIMP itself doesn't have CYMK layer seperation but there are plugins for that. ICC softproofing is also available via plugins. It'll probably be a little hassle to download plugins seperately but at least they get the job done.

GIMP is still quite in its infancy so I don't expect it to have all the bells and whistles compared to a giant like Adobe..furthermore, it's FREE. Still, I doubt many in here use like more than 20% of photoshop's available tools or do pre-press stuff that require strict CYMK standards or a powerful/accurate colour management engine.

:think: then again.. when DNG takes off.. will adobe open up it's standards for open source developers like GIMP to use? :think:
It doesn't even have a mature healing brush (under construction currently)! :rolleyes:

It is still in infancy but others need functionality now.

DNG will not go very far unless Canon and/or Nikon supports it.
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#19
Watcher said:
It doesn't even have a mature healing brush (under construction currently)! :rolleyes:

It is still in infancy but others need functionality now.
Everyone got to start somewhere :dunno:
Watcher said:
DNG will not go very far unless Canon and/or Nikon supports it.
Totally agreed. But being the 2 major competitors, if either brand supports it and uses it for their marketing tool, the other brand will definitely delay the take up or not take it up at all.

Either way, we are all at the mercy of coroprate giants.
 

Watcher

Senior Member
Feb 9, 2003
2,307
0
0
The heart of the Abyss
Visit site
#20
yanyewkay said:
Everyone got to start somewhere :dunno:
Yes, but the point is today, it is not really a viable replacement for PS. For many, things like healing brush, native LAB model, sophisticated CM and CMYK modes are essential for the use, especially pros and semi-pros. Today, for photographers, Macs can replace Windows machine. The same cannot be said for Gimp vs PS.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom