Adjusting white balance and calibrate monitor

Bosebani

Jan 24, 2013
Singapore
Hi, can share what are the methods you will adjust and get your white balance? Also how to you calibrate your monitor colour so to make sure is the correct tone colour .

Thanks in advance

I use datacolor spyder pro to calibrate my monitor.

First, get your screen calibrated. Only then the screen will show what is encoded and described in the image data. Many screens come with some factory calibration, but that only covers the screen. Your computer and its settings are not included. Therefore, it is best to get a screen calibrator that does the job directly on your computer and screen together. Personally I use Spyder 4 from DataColor, but there are are other tools as well. Check the websites for details, for a single screen without print calibration the basic model is sufficient. For dual screen and print calibration you need the higher end versions. You can get them online or from local stores. Once this is done, you can start adjusting the white balance.
Here, it starts with your camera settings and the file format you are working with. Most cameras get a decent white balance in Auto setting. Only if you have mixed light setups (different types of lights, flashes involved) or some objects with a very distinctive color (pink background wall) you might need to adjust the settings.
You can use a grey card or white card and follow your camera settings to do the adjustments directly. These cards will act as reference for difficult scenes to get you within 95% range, the rest is a small adjustment later in post processing.
For full adjustments in post processing, or for creative and special effects you best shoot in Raw format (see camera manual for settings) and use post processing software (one comes with your camera, others are the usual suspects from Adobe: Lightroom and PhotoShop, or other programs). Once the image is loaded, there are pick tools which you point to white or grey objects. From there the tools will determine the necessary adjustments to get neutral white balance. The rest is up to your taste. Keep in mind: a technically clean and neutral WB is often perceived as cold, wee bit warmer works much better.

Thanks guys for the help. Anywhere to get the spyder? Or any to rent?

Cathay Photo has them, there are several also in Carousell. You can;t go wrong with them unless the sensor looks damaged. Software is all online.

Reactions: Bosebani
Thanks guys for the help. Just borrowed a Spyder and get my laptop calibrated. There is so much details now after calibrated and more confident to edit my pictures on it now.

I recently picked up a Spyder5CAPTURE PRO kit from Cathay for that very purpose. Coincidentally, I also just wrote a blog post on that exact topic.

Hopefully this helps:
Monitor Calibration and Colour Workflow
Thanks for the link, very good write up. Just did my calibration using Spyder and now more confident for post editing

Thanks for the link, very good write up. Just did my calibration using Spyder and now more confident for post editing
Happy to help. Glad you've got it sorted.

On the contrary, I don't color calibrate my monitors; I find that it's much more accurate this way though. I own the Spyder3Pro, Spyder5Elite, 2x i1 Display Pro and the print's colors resemble much closer without calibration.

These days I just roll with a standard color profile on the monitor, and run the calibration software to make sure that my monitor brightness is at 110 cd. OF course, the monitor itself need to have at least 100% srgb. Otherwise even calibration won't save it.

Reactions: Bosebani