adjusting the brightness of the lcd screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepblue2

Jul 18, 2003
Visit site
hi guys,

just wanted to ask ur comments about this. digital cameras allow the user to adjust the brightness of the lcd viewing screen. but this doesn't affect the outcome of the pic itself. so how do you find out if your pic is overexposed or underexposed?

ex: extremely sunny day. i lower the brighness of the lcd so that i can compose the pic properly (without eveything appearing almost white). but in essence due to the brightness of the day, the pic is actually overexposed. but i won't know that. do i keep the lcd at default brightness so that i know the exposure of the pic?

i guess u could look at it from the opposite point of view (dark day, increase brightness etc).

thanks in advance.

The LCD is not exactly useful in judging exposure. Use the histogram instead to judge.

imaginary_number said:
The LCD is not exactly useful in judging exposure. Use the histogram instead to judge.
so if the camera doesn't have a histogram then u're practically a dead duck? :)

coming to the histogram, i'm planning to get a z2 (which does have a histogram). how do i use it effectively? if the peak of the curve is around the middle, thats a good exposure right? does the height of the peak matter also?

would apreciate any help on using the histograms. :)

Depands on your own judgement, as long as the peak point is somewhere in the middle, your picture is nice (but not all)..
Normally I don't use the histogram, once you had understand your camera's "behavior". you should know when u need to increace or decrease the apature or Shutter speed. :)

deepblue2 said:
so if the camera doesn't have a histogram then u're practically a dead duck? :)

coming to the histogram, i'm planning to get a z2 (which does have a histogram). how do i use it effectively? if the peak of the curve is around the middle, thats a good exposure right? does the height of the peak matter also?

would apreciate any help on using the histograms. :)

The bulk of the peaks in the histogram (especially the highest peak) should be somewhere in the middle of the horizontal scale.... peaking at either end means either overexposed or underexposed. If the cam comes with live histogram, it can be very useful as u can change aperture / shutter speed and watch the histogram change... like that u learn the camera and it's CCD behaviour under different conditions very quickly and effectively.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.