Adjust metering system or exposure compensation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyl2200

May 11, 2009
I recently shot a photo where the subject was hidden in the shadow of another structure.

Normally, I use the multi metering system but since the subject was very dark, I set it to spot meter so it could properly read the amount of light of the subject before taking the shot.

My question is:

Would it have made a difference if I had just left it on multi metering but instead change the exposure compensation? Meaning, I would bring up the exp. comp. to +1 or so.

If there is no difference between using the metering function and changing the exposure comp., then in future, I would just leave the settings on multi metering and if ever I need to get properly lighting for a specific area in the shot, I could just change the exposure settings? Correct?

Appreciate any advice on this.

Cheers!

correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if you compensate a dark subject your EV comp should be towards the negative??

correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if you compensate a dark subject your EV comp should be towards the negative??

?? erm if your subject is dark, ur EV should be up towards positive ... no?

as for TS's question, i would think both ways would work. the essence of metering would be to get the desired exposure based on the conditions of what you want to shoot. so there's nothing wrong with using ur multi metering mode and then adjusting accordingly using the EV comp ... there isnt a right or wrong metering mode, really depends on what come out after you shoot and whether u like it or not ...

?? erm if your subject is dark, ur EV should be up towards positive ... no?

as for TS's question, i would think both ways would work. the essence of metering would be to get the desired exposure based on the conditions of what you want to shoot. so there's nothing wrong with using ur multi metering mode and then adjusting accordingly using the EV comp ... there isnt a right or wrong metering mode, really depends on what come out after you shoot and whether u like it or not ...

sorry my bad. :sweat:

Supposed I'm capturing an sunset image on the beach, how could do it such that my subject (people) are mere shadows compared to the warm colours of the sky?

with only a a200 and kit lens

I recently shot a photo where the subject was hidden in the shadow of another structure.

Normally, I use the multi metering system but since the subject was very dark, I set it to spot meter so it could properly read the amount of light of the subject before taking the shot.

My question is:

Would it have made a difference if I had just left it on multi metering but instead change the exposure compensation? Meaning, I would bring up the exp. comp. to +1 or so.

If there is no difference between using the metering function and changing the exposure comp., then in future, I would just leave the settings on multi metering and if ever I need to get properly lighting for a specific area in the shot, I could just change the exposure settings? Correct?

Appreciate any advice on this.

Cheers!

Correct but...with most cameras, you can change the exposure settings only from -2IL to +2IL . In case, you need to introduce +3IL or more refering to the multi metering (for example, a full moon by dark night...), remember to set your camera to Manual Mode : if not, you can't get the picture in PSA and Auto modes.

well, you can get the same result, but you must use multi long enough, and familiarise yourself with how the metering will behave long enough, to be sure that you are getting the "spot on exposure" that you want. :)

Supposed I'm capturing an sunset image on the beach, how could do it such that my subject (people) are mere shadows compared to the warm colours of the sky?

with only a a200 and kit lens

Meter the sky.

Thanks for the advice guys.

As I've been playing around with my new camera more I've learned a few new things about how the exposure compensation function works:

- Changing exposure comp. (- or +) when the aperture is fixed (for example: permanently on f2.4) is also equivalent to just changing the shutter speed.

I noticed this because in full manual mode, the function to adjust exposure compensation is disabled.

So does that mean, when in auto or aperture priority mode, if you change the exposure compensation you are merely changing the shutter speed?

Thanks for the advice guys.

As I've been playing around with my new camera more I've learned a few new things about how the exposure compensation function works:

- Changing exposure comp. (- or +) when the aperture is fixed (for example: permanently on f2.4) is also equivalent to just changing the shutter speed.

I noticed this because in full manual mode, the function to adjust exposure compensation is disabled.

So does that mean, when in auto or aperture priority mode, if you change the exposure compensation you are merely changing the shutter speed?

yes. :)

Don't you look at your camera displays? :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.