Additional Battery or Battery Grip

lamberry

Feb 2, 2010
just wondering whether would u prefer to carry additional battery or battery grip?

both for me. depends on where your application and location is. big event,lots of people,i'd bring the grip. but when i'm in the woods and going for a long walk, the spare batt comes handy coz i'm already bogged down by the tripod,lenses and other stuffs. so weight factor plays an important part for me.

I dun like to bulk up my camera when i travel and shoot, so i carry spare batts

Having said that, the battery grip makes shooting vertical oriented shots a little easier for many. individual preference. And .. with 2 batteries together, u can take uber long exposure star trails that needs many many hrs which u will not do with switching batteries in the middle :bsmilie:

ryan

And .. with 2 batteries together, u can take uber long exposure star trails that needs many many hrs which u will not do with switching batteries in the middle :bsmilie:

ryan

Your sky would have to be very dark...

just wondering whether would u prefer to carry additional battery or battery grip?

Grip - If u dun mind the weight and u yearn for the comfort in shooting in portrait orientation, and ease of changing ur "juices" for prolonged period of shooting..etc...etc...
In addition, it provide better weightbalance if any long or heavy lens are mounted.

I go with that ;)

Grip - If u dun mind the weight and u yearn for the comfort in shooting in portrait orientation, and ease of changing ur "juices" for prolonged period of shooting..etc...etc...
In addition, it provide better weightbalance if any long or heavy lens are mounted.

I go with that ;)

i second that~

It's one of those thing that at first I thought I wanted to buy.

After a while, it does not seems to be necessary.

its one of the stuff that i thought i wont need it, but after trying, i cant live without it :bsmilie:
though i will sill take it off when going for backpack trip

apart from nikkon MB-d80 , any other brands u guys would strongly recommend?

Battery Grip will also increase frames/second. And it can used AA batteries which can be easily get from any provisional shop when you cannot find a charging point.

Additional battery if you mind the weight of the battery grip & don't need the higher frames/second.

It depends on your setup, If you have a long lens it is better to add a grip to balance it. For travelling light just bring along the extra battery.

I prefer not to a grip since it add quite alot of weight and most of the time i will use it for a long day so weight is one concern for me.

depends on what you shoot, won't it? for example, if you tend to take many shots in the portrait orientation handheld, e.g. close-up portraits, then you might find a battery grip much more useful.

a battery grip also has the benefit of "balancing" out the camera better. the problem is that you have to trade it off with size of camera.. which probably some GWCs find a boon rather than a bane.

i don't use a battery grip because with a battery grip, it would be hard to fit my camera into my billingham bag, along with most standard inserts for the bags i have - orion trekker II, kata digital rucksack, etc.

Same as what others have said

When travel light or walkaround shooting ---> leave the grip at home, just bring spare batt

For portrait shooting ---> always on grip

Battery Grip will also increase frames/second. And it can used AA batteries which can be easily get from any provisional shop when you cannot find a charging point.

Additional battery if you mind the weight of the battery grip & don't need the higher frames/second.

I think it is model dependent. Doesn't always give more fps.

The MB-d80 that TS mentioned did nothing to boost my prev D80. I am not sure but does it increase the fps of the D90 ?

to TS regarding other options, well there are always third party batt grips. I ain't a big fan of the plasticky MB-d80 previously.

Ryan

It mean Battery Grip can use AA Battery?

Any item that can Place AA battery to our our camera (D300s) able to use as a spare battery?

Thanks!

additional battery. battery grip so heavy, take up so much space, i don't need the portrait shooting function.

It mean Battery Grip can use AA Battery?

Any item that can Place AA battery to our our camera (D300s) able to use as a spare battery?

Thanks!
using AA Battery in MB-10 is possible, however it does not last long as the EN-EL 3e Li-Ion battery.

if weight and budget of a battery grip is an issue, just simply bring along extra EN-EL 3e Li-Ion battery it is more practical, replacing a battery during a shoot just take couple of seconds.

Last edited:
Just to share my own experience which points are covered by other CSer already.;p

I'm learning portraits now and i find a battery grip quite useful as i need to 'camp' and wait for the 'moment' from my baby boy and i can have a more stable grip and tuck my arms to my body so i get less shakes or non as i don't need to bend my wrist so much to tuck my arms or air my armpits for an extended time.:embrass:

I would use only one battery in the grip when there are no gatherings or chalets, if there were, i would use the AA batteries (easy to get/buy) cos i might as well use the extended battery to play safe since i have it. What i feel is that with the grip, the camera is more stable as it can balance off the lens if it's heavy but weight is gained and space is 'lost'. I would not have gotten it if I'm learning landscape first or doing more of it. I would just carry spare batteries instead and i don't need to remove the tripod mount as well.. Lazy~* :embrass:

Additional batteries for me. I had 4 at one time.

i would go for battery grip + extra battery(at least 4 total battery) everytime i go for events or traveling, aside from the quite usefull portrait grip, u never know when u need an extra juice of battery life, my 50D with a grip and 2 battery inside last me 1100 shoot with 1/5 of it is taken with flash and quite often checking result on back LCD

for casual walk with frend usualy i just take extra 1 or 2 battery is enough, yea grip is bulky though usefull :D