Adding RAM to my Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phildate

Ok, I'm pretty useless when it comes to computer hardware so maybe someone can help me out:

I have a Dell Pentium 4 2.63Ghz with 512Mb of RAM. I would like to add some more RAM but can't find details of the RAM I've got. Can someone tell me how to find out what I've got and then where I should go to get some more? And what sort I should get?

Remember I know nothing about what goes on inside the black box!

Thanks

You should be buying DDR type RAM :)

Maybe 1-2 terabyte of RAM more?

*espn runs away

Best is to post your question on the Dell Forum.

State your model and spec....(or do a search on Dell...there's lots of detail there)

Best is to buy the same rated Rams (speed) and size.

Good luck.

Phildate said:
Ok, I'm pretty useless when it comes to computer hardware so maybe someone can help me out:

I have a Dell Pentium 4 2.63Ghz with 512Mb of RAM. I would like to add some more RAM but can't find details of the RAM I've got. Can someone tell me how to find out what I've got and then where I should go to get some more? And what sort I should get?

Remember I know nothing about what goes on inside the black box!

Thanks

hi, phildate!

wats ur dell model?

ot, i have a dell dimension 4700, currently 512 ram. thinking of increasing to 1g. adequate?

Running Nikon Capture with 512Mb is S...........L............O............W. Was thinking of upgrading to at least 1.5GB, if not 2GB. Can?

Model is a Dimension 8250

1gb should be good enough...but speed also depends on the rating of the memory (memory timing)....

u can download this program to check here
SiSoft Sandra 2005

It will tell you everything u need to know about your computer.....

u need to find out 2 few things:
i) max. RAM slots on your motherboard (2 or 4)
ii) current ram configuration (2x256 or 1x512..i suspect its the former)
iii) memory type DDR333 or DDR400

the above program should tell you the above..... :)

Thanks very much - that is very helpful :)

Phildate said:
Running Nikon Capture with 512Mb is S...........L............O............W. Was thinking of upgrading to at least 1.5GB, if not 2GB. Can?

Hi,

U can find all technical info of yr Dell Dimension 8250 online: "Type - PC800 or PC1066 RDRAM (non-ECC)
Memory connectors - 4; Memory capacities - 256-, and 512-MB non-ECC;Maximum memory - 2 GB for PC800
1.5 GB for PC1066; Memory type - PC 1066 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed ; PC 800 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system clock speed."

So, short answer: YES, you can upgrade your RAM to 1.5GB.

How? no fear Juz follow this link :)

Gook luck!

YOL925

Suggest go for 2 GB. Mine 3.0Ghz HT with 1Gb Ram and it's still SLOOOOOOW on NC....:(

Thinking of upgrading it to 2 Gb ram.;p

Phildate said:

did a search on Dell USA site. according to the spec sheet, u can use either PC800 SD-RAM or PC1066 RDRAM. RDRAM cost a heck lot more. can the computer experts here further clarify?

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8250/specs.htm#1105389

ctchng said:
Suggest go for 2 GB. Mine 3.0Ghz HT with 1Gb Ram and it's still SLOOOOOOW on NC....:(

Thinking of upgrading it to 2 Gb ram.;p

If NC cannot run efficiently on 1 Gb of RAM, then its a problem with NC. Upgrade to more efficient software like Capture One.

Would usually use the PS CS RAW Plug-in which is very quick but it doesn't support my camera now :(

YOL925 said:
Hi,

U can find all technical info of yr Dell Dimension 8250 online: "Type - PC800 or PC1066 RDRAM (non-ECC)
Memory connectors - 4; Memory capacities - 256-, and 512-MB non-ECC;Maximum memory - 2 GB for PC800
1.5 GB for PC1066; Memory type - PC 1066 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed ; PC 800 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system clock speed."

So, short answer: YES, you can upgrade your RAM to 1.5GB.

How? no fear Juz follow this link :)

Gook luck!

YOL925

RDRAM:eek: ...that would cost u alot of $$$ to upgrade.:sweat:

so, NC is problemsome?

Phildate said:

The price for RDRAM is extremely high (compared to DDR) and only a few shops in SimLimSquare carry RDRAM. My office recently (2mths back) bought some RDRAM 2x256mb costs ~S$400, 2x512mb would cost close to S$1000!

If anyone has better deals for RDRAM, pls let me/us know.

erwinx said:
If NC cannot run efficiently on 1 Gb of RAM, then its a problem with NC. Upgrade to more efficient software like Capture One.

problem is not in the software. 512MB RAM might be a bit taxing to run any photo-processing software efficiently. both my Dell dimension 4550 and inspiron 510m run on 1GB RAM. b4 upgrading the RAM from 512MB, i also had problems running C1Pro. on PS... i'm liable to crash my system just opening the RAW file. ;)

NC is very troublesome but is my only option until a new PS CS RAW Plug-in becomes available

eawtan said:
The price for RDRAM is extremely high (compared to DDR) and only a few shops in SimLimSquare carry RDRAM. My office recently (2mths back) bought some RDRAM 2x256mb costs ~S$400, 2x512mb would cost close to S$1000!

If anyone has better deals for RDRAM, pls let me/us know.

Think it would more economical to upgrade the motherboard and change the ram to DDR.:) It u are looking looooong term.

Ok, I checked and I have RDRAM. Does that mean I cannot use SD-RAM? Going to get an iMAC when I can afford it so just want a temporary measure until then i.e. don't want to spend too much.

Downloading Bibble - maybe that will be quicker!

Status
Not open for further replies.