Adding on to Nikon SB600 for macro use

Status
Not open for further replies.

harumonia

Sep 30, 2008
Hi guys,

I'm currently using an SB600 for macro use, shooting bugs. Even with a diffuser on the shadows are way too harsh. Currently considering adding on a second flash to fill in the shadows but not sure how to go about it. Will be using it with a D40 + Tamron 90mm macro.

Do I need some kind of flash bracket to fix on a second flash? If so which brand/products would you recommend for the bracket and second flash?

An alternative would be to get a ring flash but I would rather make use of my SB600 and build on it to be suitable for macro use. I suppose it would be cheaper too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi guys,

I'm currently using an SB600 for macro use, shooting bugs. Even with a diffuser on the shadows are way too harsh. Currently considering adding on a second flash to fill in the shadows but not sure how to go about it. Will be using it with a D40 + Tamron 90mm macro.

Do I need some kind of flash bracket to fix on a second flash? If so which brand/products would you recommend for the bracket and second flash?

An alternative would be to get a ring flash but I would rather make use of my SB600 and build on it to be suitable for macro use. I suppose it would be cheaper too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Metz macro ring flash looks good. :)

You can have 1 more flash to flash along.

Metz macro ring flash looks good. :)

You can have 1 more flash to flash along.

Sorry forgot to mention that I'll be using the Tamron 90mm with Raynox DCR-250 macro attachment. So I think the Metz ring flash won't be able to be screwed onto the lens. :(

Anyone have a good macro setup for D40 with 2 flashes?

Sorry forgot to mention that I'll be using the Tamron 90mm with Raynox DCR-250 macro attachment. So I think the Metz ring flash won't be able to be screwed onto the lens. :(

Anyone have a good macro setup for D40 with 2 flashes?

Why would you want to add a Raynox to the equation? :dunno:

Adding extension tubes would give you better magnification and picture quality. Next up, another SB-600 or 800 may be an idea, the 800 can be a commander and trigger the SB-600 using CLS's AWL. Else you can join them with the cables.

What about those ring flash adapters like Ray Flash and equivalent. Do those work well? Actually I wonder if there are any that are compatible with SB600 + D40...

Most of my macro shots, i used only one SB, either SB600 or SB800.....

It is the controlling of light, not adding more lights to improve the photo. :)

Most of my macro shots, i used only one SB, either SB600 or SB800.....

It is the controlling of light, not adding more lights to improve the photo. :)

Would be great if you can share some tips on how to prevent harsh shadows when using just one flash.

Do you use a good diffuser? I'm using the Stofen one and it doesn't help much. Maybe I'm shooting too near the subject? I'm referring to shots where the flash is shining from a higher angle and producing a harsh shadow beneath the subject.

Last edited:
Would be great if you can share some tips on how to prevent harsh shadows when using just one flash.

Do you use a good diffuser? I'm using the Stofen one and it doesn't help much. Maybe I'm shooting too near the subject? I'm referring to shots where the flash is shining from a higher angle and producing a harsh shadow beneath the subject.

Why use flashes? did you asked yourself this question?

Most ppls in digital era had forgotten the very basic of photography, i.e. Understanding of the basics of lights.

Some example.

No flash
2529894929_f2e2fa68db.jpg

Single flash
3166629975_8803932bf4.jpg

Double flash
3058305144_0ac6cf04a3.jpg

Three flash
2111996192_7a48392d86.jpg

Five flash
2664068441_a050825394.jpg

Why use flashes? did you asked yourself this question?

Most ppls in digital era had forgotten the very basic of photography, i.e. Understanding of the basics of lights.

Well... I use a flash to achieve higher shutter speed in low light conditions without compromising ISO... Isn't that quite a given...

The shots you posted don't really show how to prevent harsh shadows beneath the subject (subject should be standing on a horizontal surface) when using single flash on hotshoe. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

Well... I use a flash to achieve higher shutter speed in low light conditions without compromising ISO... Isn't that quite a given...

The shots you posted don't really show how to prevent harsh shadows beneath the subject (subject should be standing on a horizontal surface) when using single flash on hotshoe. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

Actually, that is a wrong conception......unless you are talking about high-speed flash photography.

But again, depend what you want to achieve, just shooting for fun, or have a define goal. Both have difference enjoyment. :)

With understand, there no boundary on where and which angle the subject is taken.
3118314984_61501014a8_m.jpg
3118298520_849e39d3c9_m.jpg
2685262389_fff130cbaf_m.jpg
2385293704_55de658623_m.jpg

Wow very nice shots there. Totally no obvious shadows. That's what I'm trying to achieve but can't seem to get right...

My shots (see below) end up with shadows that I can do without... :(

20090404212414_dead_spid_2.jpg

20090404222147_600f-gh.jpg

Actually, that is a wrong conception......unless you are talking about high-speed flash photography.

But again, depend what you want to achieve, just shooting for fun, or have a define goal. Both have difference enjoyment. :)

With understand, there no boundary on where and which angle the subject is taken.

I think need another type of flash diffuser. I am using stofen diffuser on a sb 600. It does not seem to diffuse the light enough and thus harsh shadows.

I think need another type of flash diffuser. I am using stofen diffuser on a sb 600. It does not seem to diffuse the light enough and thus harsh shadows.

i also using stofen diffuser.......but it seem ok to me, some of my friends use ice-tub, tissue paper, foam board, soft box......they are also seem ok with it.....

i also using stofen diffuser.......but it seem ok to me, some of my friends use ice-tub, tissue paper, foam board, soft box......they are also seem ok with it.....

In your professional opinion, since the equipment is ok, would the problem lie with the settings instead? :think:

I do share the same problem with TS, esp shots that are mostly top down angle... I would love to know what kind of solutions are there for this.

3118314984_61501014a8_m.jpg
3118298520_849e39d3c9_m.jpg
2685262389_fff130cbaf_m.jpg
2385293704_55de658623_m.jpg

Your pics are very nice with no shadow, care to give some pointers to ppl like TS and I who are having problems with shadow...?

Thanks!

Just like taking product, still life and portrait, One need to understand the how to control light, since camera is just a device to record light.

There are no short cut.... read up, experiment and practice. If something is wrong, 99% of time is human error.....so don't always blame on equipment.

Most of us had spend easily 20years of our life studying and got a cert of your profession, so please don't expect short cut in this profession.

Btw, i'm not professional, but i do plan my shot like what a professional would do. No point just go to the field everyday and collect records shots, unless this is what you enjoy.

Set goals and targets, don't just thinking of shooting, post up your works, and waiting others to give those PR comments. Then again....unless this is what you enjoy.......there are no right or wrong....since it is just a hobby.

To me, 1 good photo a day is a bonus, and i start macro-photography for only 1.5year.

Recent shot, uncropped, double flash without diffuser.
3462375367_948d2c07cc.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.