Adding on Nikon D80 or Canon EOS 400D? - Beginners DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnappySNAP

Sep 2, 2007
Hi All,
Morning. :)
I am also new in DSLR & clubsnap, friends recommend me here where I can get advices. I happen to see hino07's thread for beginner for cameras.

I'm in a dilemma, don't know which should I choose. As I've been to Comex show, saw their leaflets, keen in Nikon D80 & Canon EOS 400D.

Their bundles look very attractive. Look up into some of the specs & comparison. Still do not know which to choose. Looking into the pics comparison, Canon ones are more clearer than Nikon ones (correct me if I'm wrong)

Nikon's bundle - comes with additional zoom lens (70-300mm)
Canon's bundle - additional of $399 to get a 55-200mm zoom len.

I thought the above bundle is good enough for me to kick start as a beginner.

Can anyone advice me? As today's last day of Comex. Wanted to get a DSLR today. Thank you very very much for your kind advices & quick sharing.

Hi All,
Morning. :D
Sorry..I know there are some link on beginners on SLR..but couldnt find something to match my enquiries...really needed some quick sharing before I step out of my house to purchase.

I am also new in DSLR & clubsnap, friends recommend me here where I can get advices. I happen to see hino07's thread for beginner for cameras.

I'm in a dilemma, don't know which should I choose. As I've been to Comex show, saw their leaflets, keen in Nikon D80 & Canon EOS 400D.

Their bundles look very attractive. Look up into some of the specs & comparison. Still do not know which to choose. Looking into the pics comparison, Canon ones are more clearer than Nikon ones (correct me if I'm wrong)

Nikon's bundle - comes with additional zoom lens (70-300mm)
Canon's bundle - additional of $399 to get a 55-200mm zoom len.

I thought the above bundle is good enough for me to kick start as a beginner.

Can anyone advice me? As today's last day of Comex. Wanted to get a DSLR today. Thank you very very much for your kind advices & quick sharing. :)

I have the D80. Feels good in my hand. Big enough for me to have a good grip. Great Control. Great noise reduction performace. All that you will need

Anyway. It also depends on how far you will go for photography...otherwise if you get a DSLR and find that photography isn't yr cup of tea....wasted.

Another issue is when you get the DSLR, you have to harness the power of the various lenses. Otherwise if you are going to only shoot with the kit lens and though that that is it...then DSLR might not be the right one. You might like to consider a Prosumer camera like the Sony H3,7 or 9.

Just my suggestion...hope it helps..

Both are good camera. My advice to you is to go down and have a feel on both cameras and see which one suit you most.

No point rushing to buy a DSLR camera as their price will drop once newer cameras are released.....

I hope this isnt too late for u......

Which to get..... Canon or Nikon ?? This simple question could start a mini war here for fans of both side ;)

Agree with Teegongkia.... go down to the shop and test each one with your hands. Both are really just as good. Its down to which one you feel more comfortable with.

Hope this helps..... and A Warm Welcome to U :D

I just bought the D80 at comex at love it. it's my first DSLR and the kit lens is good enough. i didn't take the package with 70-300mm as i thought without VR is quite pointless for long focal length and the f/stop is 4-5.6 (would prefer a f/2.8).

but i completed my d80 with a good lens for portrait shots - the 85mm f/1.4 and i also got a sb600 (the nikon technician said it's good enough for a start).

i have a preference towards nikon it seems to be preferred for professionals and the lenses are pretty good.

i would like to add a wide angle lens maybe a 12-24mm from tokina since nikon can be quite ex!

Plenty of comparision threads here already. Just do a search.

In any case, as what the bros have suggested, GO DOWN to the shops and handle them, you'll decide better...

choose carefully :)
cause the one that you start with will most likely be the one that you stick with.
but for me, i'll take the DEIGHTY!

I started with the same question about a month back , D80 or 400D ? There are lots of good review materials on the internet which you can find easily. I will PM you some sites.
Both are good cameras to start off and I doubt you will have many regrets choosing either.
I decided on the D80 and have been enjoying it.

Hi Snappysnap,
I own a Canon 400D. In my opinion, both Nikon D80 and Canon 400D are good cameras to start photography. You shouldn't be wrong getting either of these. However, once you have decided to go with one system, stick with it to prevent spending too much. (Unless you have a lot of cash to spare)

Just go with your feeling. Which ever comes to your mind, just go for it.

Next thing is the 70-300mm. Like what schnurbart22 has mentioned, not much point if it does not have VR. Likewise, for the 55-200mm for Canon. I think it doesnt have IS either.

Feel free to PM me if you have some queries on Canon 400D. I'll try my best to help.

I started with the same question about a month back , D80 or 400D ? There are lots of good review materials on the internet which you can find easily. I will PM you some sites.
Both are good cameras to start off and I doubt you will have many regrets choosing either.
I decided on the D80 and have been enjoying it.

Hi Pat33,
I am a newbie here and this is my second post. I am also considering between D80 and 400D. Can you also PM me the sites? I have also been looking at the kit lenses that comes with both cameras and I must say I don't like them - especially the telephoto ones? Did you buy your D80 with the lens kit or just the body and the lens are brought separately? If you buy with the lens kit, care to share how you feel about the lens? Thanks.

- Luenny

I just bought the D80 at comex at love it. it's my first DSLR and the kit lens is good enough. i didn't take the package with 70-300mm as i thought without VR is quite pointless for long focal length and the f/stop is 4-5.6 (would prefer a f/2.8).

but i completed my d80 with a good lens for portrait shots - the 85mm f/1.4 and i also got a sb600 (the nikon technician said it's good enough for a start).

i have a preference towards nikon it seems to be preferred for professionals and the lenses are pretty good.

i would like to add a wide angle lens maybe a 12-24mm from tokina since nikon can be quite ex!

Hi,

May i ask how much you paid for your package? I asked if i could exclude the 70-300mm lens but he rudely turn me down. :p Thanks!

Hi Pat33,
I am a newbie here and this is my second post. I am also considering between D80 and 400D. Can you also PM me the sites? I have also been looking at the kit lenses that comes with both cameras and I must say I don't like them - especially the telephoto ones? Did you buy your D80 with the lens kit or just the body and the lens are brought separately? If you buy with the lens kit, care to share how you feel about the lens? Thanks.

- Luenny

Lueny, I will send you the the sites asap when i get back as mentioned in pm to you. I bought the d80 with the 18-135mm kit lens,I was considering buying the body with the 18-200mm zooom but after reading up a bit decided against it. I also bought the 70-300VR zoom and the sigma 10-20mm which I wanted for travel and landscape photography. This is sufficient for me now, if i do feel the need to add another lens it will probably be the nikon 105 VR or the sigma 150 macro lens.

You need to decide this for yourself.

Both cameras are excellent. End of the day, the one you are comfortable with is what you should buy. Also bear in mind, that you are stuck with the brand's type of lineup. (eg lens, flash etc)

If you were to ask me which one i took, it was a Canon. Simple reason, i found it more comfortable in my hand than Nikon + i shoot nature where canon has a much better lineup of lens and other options.

just my 2 cents... again everyone's opinion differs.

I would suggest to try any of the rental services and rent out both cameras for a day. Then see which one is suiting you the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.