Add on Macro lens test shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimDavis

Mar 15, 2004
Bedok
Taken with my latest 2-in-1 lens (Wide Angle + Macro), Brand: ProOptic, made in Japan.

flowermacro01.jpg

Critics and comments welcome. :)

Hi JimDavis,

Where and how much did you get it for?
The 1st pic a little off focus. Did you use a tripod when shooting?

happytikus said:
Hi JimDavis,

Where and how much did you get it for?
The 1st pic a little off focus. Did you use a tripod when shooting?

The first pic off focus because I was using manual focus...still not good at focus manually. :(

Both shots are all hand held.

I got the lens from my friend's shop at a very good price (below S$100). ;)

Hmmm... But you're using the fz10 right? What thread size is it? Sorry for so many questions.... ;p Interested in getting a macro lens lah... not just a filter.

The first pic, like you said is off focus....it happens frequently, and the only way to make up for it is shoot many pics......... Another technique I use is leave it in MF, fix it, and sway your body with the camera while half shutter depressed....once the image appears sharp to you, snap it!....1 out of 5 may be sharp.....

2nd pic seems like a shadow is being cast on the pad. What is the working distance? Flash used?

tchuanye said:
The first pic, like you said is off focus....it happens frequently, and the only way to make up for it is shoot many pics......... Another technique I use is leave it in MF, fix it, and sway your body with the camera while half shutter depressed....once the image appears sharp to you, snap it!....1 out of 5 may be sharp.....

2nd pic seems like a shadow is being cast on the pad. What is the working distance? Flash used?

Thanks for the advice. :)

For second pic, the lens was almost touching the calculator, the shadow is the lens shadow. No flash, it was taken at the point where I was about to buy the lens, and was testing it... ;p

using closeup lens or filter, you need to use small aperture to achieve wider DOF.

use a ext. flash / slave flash or other ext. light source to fill in flash to bring out the detail of the object.

JimDavis said:

For second pic, the lens was almost touching the calculator, the shadow is the lens shadow. No flash, it was taken at the point where I was about to buy the lens, and was testing it... ;p

You will have to bear in mind on the angle of lighting than....., and with such close working distance, it will be more appropriate for still objects....

JimDavis said:

Exactly what is this the lens for? Does it increase the macro capability of the camera?

lightning69 said:
Exactly what is this the lens for? Does it increase the macro capability of the camera?

Of course it inclrease the macro capability of the camera.

Try using the FZ10/FZ20 on macro with the lens touching a calculator, and see if you can achieve the same clear and sharp photo as I posted above. ;)

If you can, let me know how do you do it. :)

JimDavis said:
Of course it inclrease the macro capability of the camera.

Try using the FZ10/FZ20 on macro with the lens touching a calculator, and see if you can achieve the same clear and sharp photo as I posted above. ;)

If you can, let me know how do you do it. :)

What I don't not need is not getting as close to the subject to capture macro, but what I really need is to stay as far as possible to capture small subjects and yet capture them "big". You get what I mean.

lightning69 said:
What I don't not need is not getting as close to the subject to capture macro, but what I really need is to stay as far as possible to capture small subjects and yet capture them "big". You get what I mean.

Eeeeerrrr....doesn't that sound more like a tele than macro? :dunno: :confused:

JimDavis said:
Eeeeerrrr....doesn't that sound more like a tele than macro? :dunno: :confused:

Not really...Macro does not mean that the camera must be very close to the subject Some lens on the SLR inventory are dedicated macro lens, which requires a close working distance, while some zoom lens that has macro capability allows you to work further away, but with magnification. Of course the quality are different, but the zoom macros allow you to be further from the subject, and this allows you to take them w/o disturbing them.

For the FZ, using a closeup filter increases working distance, and still magnifies image. E.g. Nikon 6T is a +2.9 diopters lens giving a magnification of 1.218 at x12 zoom, 29cm. The Sigma is a +1.6 diopters lens with a magnification of x0.672 at x12 zoom, 40cm. Together, when stacked, the total diopter is +4.5, and magnification of 1.89 at x12 zoom, 19cm.

Just some sharing.... :D

tchuanye said:
Not really...Macro does not mean that the camera must be very close to the subject Some lens on the SLR inventory are dedicated macro lens, which requires a close working distance, while some zoom lens that has macro capability allows you to work further away, but with magnification. Of course the quality are different, but the zoom macros allow you to be further from the subject, and this allows you to take them w/o disturbing them.

For the FZ, using a closeup filter increases working distance, and still magnifies image. E.g. Nikon 6T is a +2.9 diopters lens giving a magnification of 1.218 at x12 zoom, 29cm. The Sigma is a +1.6 diopters lens with a magnification of x0.672 at x12 zoom, 40cm. Together, when stacked, the total diopter is +4.5, and magnification of 1.89 at x12 zoom, 19cm.

Orrrr...I see...hmmmm...looks like I will have to burn a little more in my pocket already. :cry:

Thanks tchuanye.

Looks like what I want is the Nikon 6T. Anyone can recommend a place where I can get one?

tchuanye said:

Hi tchuanye, I bought the +1,+2,+4 & +10 macro filters for about S$45 from ebay. There are even cheaper ones but this set looks quite ok to try. I know for sure it is not the double element like you said but I will try it out and see the effect and result before splashing $$$ on better filters or lenses.

There is also one seller from India selling a set of +1,+2 & +4 macro filters for only about S$18 shipped at the ebay. Well, I feel though it may not be as goodas Nikon or Sigma, BUt it is really worth a try since the price is so cheap. Nothing much to lose right?

Yeah, now I know what WD is. Thanks again for sharing your info with me earlier. The Raynox msn-0200 is ridiculuosly close, 30mm=3cm!?!?! That is only good for taking still life BUT also for small insects but DEAD ones!!! :bsmilie:

Anyway still my camera is gonna come soon and so are the rest of the items I've ordered. Can't wait to get my hands on with it.

spiderman said:
Hi tchuanye, I bought the +1,+2,+4 & +10 macro filters for about S$45 from ebay. There are even cheaper ones but this set looks quite ok to try. I know for sure it is not the double element like you said but I will try it out and see the effect and result before splashing $$$ on better filters or lenses.

There is also one seller from India selling a set of +1,+2 & +4 macro filters for only about S$18 shipped at the ebay. Well, I feel though it may not be as goodas Nikon or Sigma, BUt it is really worth a try since the price is so cheap. Nothing much to lose right?

Yeah, now I know what WD is. Thanks again for sharing your info with me earlier. The Raynox msn-0200 is ridiculuosly close, 30mm=3cm!?!?! That is only good for taking still life BUT also for small insects but DEAD ones!!! :bsmilie:

Anyway still my camera is gonna come soon and so are the rest of the items I've ordered. Can't wait to get my hands on with it.

Good the hear that.....seems you can get alot of magnification with all of them stacked up! The quality is usually poor at the edges of the filter, center is ok...or at least from what I read and seen. So if you frame the subject in the center and crop it, the quality might still be good.......anyway, looking forward to your posts........ :D

Status
Not open for further replies.