Adaptors for EOS lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisYeo

Mar 22, 2004
Anyone knows if there are adaptors that allow one to use a Canon lens of say, a Nikon or Leica body. I only know of adaptors that allow you to change use a nikon, Leica and other lens on to a Canon body. If there are no such gadgets, anyone knows why not?

ChrisYeo said:
Anyone knows if there are adaptors that allow one to use a Canon lens of say, a Nikon or Leica body. I only know of adaptors that allow you to change use a nikon, Leica and other lens on to a Canon body. If there are no such gadgets, anyone knows why not?

Never seen one listed anywhere for Canon to any other brand. The reason why is that Canon use a shorter than normal register distance, that is the distance from the front of the bayonet to the film plane, this means that Canon lenses will not focus correctly on other bodies. There is a possiblity you could have one made up but it will likely require the use of an optical element which will degrade the image quality. The cost would also be extremely high as it would require a custom figured lens element, machining etc.

hi

made mistake with earlier post. try www.cameraquest.com, canon bodies have one of the shortest film plane to lens mount, this means that adaptor rings *with* a corrective lens element(s) has to be used. many folks have been using contax zeiss or leica wide angles for canon dslrs, but few use canon lenses for nikon, leica, etc.

best
wesley

ChrisYeo said:

You can more or less adapt EF mount lenses to only L-mount, M-mount, M-39 mount and Konica F & AR mount, Canon breech mount and a few other rangefinders due to the short flange distance for the EF mount.

Thanks for the lesson. Now I know why!

ChrisYeo said:
Thanks for the lesson. Now I know why!

There's one more very important reason why you don't adapt Canon EF/ EOS lenses to other bodies: EF lenses do not have aperture rings... Meaning that you can only shoot wide-open when adapting the lenses to other bodies..

Furthermore, you'd note that most of the bodies that can accept EF lenses are rangefinders which have superior, albeit very costly, lenses. Take Leica for instance..
Even for Konica SLR's, their Hexanon glass are no push-overs and some of the lenses can easily rival even the Canon L lenses..
Furthermore, without coupling to the RF bodies, you'd need hyperfocal scales which are virtually non-existant on the EF lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.