AD wedding video problem and how to react?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S2Glow

Nov 23, 2011
Hi all , i just wanted to write down my 1st experience in taking AD wedding video and i plan to use this as my portfolio but things dont go well as i plan , let me explain my situation and i am curious how do you all react in my situation.

equipment : monopod + shotgun mic + DSLR 600D 50mm 1.8prime ( kinda regret to use this dumb lens , useless in a lot of circumstances cause so zoom) , friend tripod + 600D ( rented body therefore we kinda cheapo a bit , never rent another kit lens T_T ), kit 2 lens

so apparently as a 1st timer , i am pretty excited that i cant fall asleep , i watch a lot of wedding video and pretty confident about it , the client underpay me anyway but i don't care because i want to experience it , so they want me to meet up at 4am and i am team with my friend , my friend pretty much kinda inexperience but i call him to tag him along so that i wont be that scared. so i reached the bride house around 5+ , it was raining and the sky still dark , from there i am already in panic mode and i am thinking how the hell am i gonna shoot the groom cars coming etc but i just continue and do the necessaries like shooting the make up etc and the worst is the light is not bright enough , kinda dim , let me explain about the house , it is a typical 3 room flat and there is not much room for good angle. Their make up artist leave at 5+ therefore i dont have much time shooting it

1st problem : How to use prime lens on 600D on a small room as i notice alot of video use aperture effects on make up part , can 600D do the job ? ( FRIEND USING KIT LENS SHOOTING TOO FOR THOSE PEOPLE WHO ARE CANT SEEEEEEEE ) sorry for caps

As time goes by , 7am , the sky is SUPER dark like midnight , their planned time for the gate crash and all those stupid stuff that the guys must do. so the planned venue is on 1st floor hdb but is so dark therefore they just went ahead with it on the door outside and is very crammed , let me describe it is like a section of the hdb , each section got 4 house , their one is the 3rd house and the door facing the 4th house door 45degree to the right , 4th house is at corner. so the sky is still dark and raining and with so little space to shoot the gatecrash.

2nd problem : how to overcome insufficient space and the lighting , F3.5 + 3200 iso still dark as hell , the quality is ZZZ ? using a 600D kit lens is already an issue when shooting those person half body. T_T i am at lost because 600D seems like a **** equipment for wedding.

3rd problem : raining so heavily , will you risk your dslr on small rain just to take some shot?

so after the wedding shoot is done , i accidentally delete the gatecrash raw video o-o ,

4th problem : if you were me , what to do?

express edit only have 4 hour + to do a 7 min video.

5th problem : what to do if you cant complete a good video within timeframe? , for me i just lump all the b-rolls clip inside.

Oh ya , this is just the problem. keep commenting without knowing behind the story HAHAHA. i wont get affected by trolls and i appreciate the fact that some people do help and understand a newbie who want try it out but did some mistake.

Tips from a newbie for newbie who want to try wedding photo or video
#1 scout the place if you are not confident , for videography better scout , if not will commit same mistake as me
#2 As those kind soul says , bring led light because you wont know that in afternoon time the sky still dark then goodluck to you ^^
#3 if you think you can do it , just try but remember to let your client know that you're first time and if he accept then good for both , don't let anything stop you
#4 practice taking lots of video shots and having lots of raw video and practice on your express edit. dont commit the same mistake like me , panic when the time is almost up but make sure to ask your client for enough time.
#5 For first timer i guess use 10+mm lens will be good , don't use prime lens unless you have confident in yourself! simple is better then not capturing important scene.

( anymore to add please pm me so i can edit thread. ) glhf

Last edited:
sorry to hear about this,

may I ask, you shoot without any lighting? if so, what makes you think you shoot with 5D with pro lens will be much better?

feeling like to put this is a sticky thread.

1. you shot someones AD with 1 body and 1 prime lens. win.

2. you rented a 600D. why not 5D2. obviously u should have expected situations where high ISO needed. should have planned better.

3. 50 f1.8 is probably the worst lens. the focus ring is so small how u focus. please don't say AUTO FOCUS. -_-"

4. accidently deleting the gate crash video. win. this one if you lucky there are programs that can recover. data recovery 3 on mac helped me sometimes on corrupted cards.

5. express edit you should be able to do in less than 1 hour ( yes there are situations like tht ) if cannot do, then don't provide.

6. from your 5th problem i can tell what kind of attitude you have. I pity the wedding couple even if they underpaid. (which i doubt they did considering the shoddy job from your description.)

Solution:
if you are lucky enough to come up with something they like. good for you.

if not prepare for them to take action against you.

for those that just want the "experience" pls leave it to the professionals.

if not try to get into a team with at least 2 experience people at least.

Last edited:
sorry to hear about this,

may I ask, you shoot without any lighting? if so, what makes you think you shoot with 5D with pro lens will be much better?

feeling like to put this is a sticky thread.

this should be made sticky.

50mm f1.8 is a great lens if have patience, time and skill. but on crop it is 80mm equivalent on aps c. a bit too tight for hdb shooting.

perhaps can pair with a wider lens on different body. I guess a bit like the classic big strikers nimble striker combo. more versatile.

if it was indeed too dark, shoot with on board flash better than no flash. lastly hdb lighting can't be that bad too, with a monopod or tripod you can still achieve good enough lighting for reasonable shutter speed.

I'm not a pro but if I were there I might do this. I have similar gear. except for the exception of external flash

u made too many mistakes... i also dunno how to advise you. -_-" i can only say... what's done already done... cannot be undone... just hope you wun get hell from your client. But he has himself to blame to trust you with this job.

50mm f1.8 is a great lens if have patience, time and skill. but on crop it is 80mm equivalent on aps c. a bit too tight for hdb shooting.

perhaps can pair with a wider lens on different body. I guess a bit like the classic big strikers nimble striker combo. more versatile.

if it was indeed too dark, shoot with on board flash better than no flash. lastly hdb lighting can't be that bad too, with a monopod or tripod you can still achieve good enough lighting for reasonable shutter speed.

I'm not a pro but if I were there I might do this. I have similar gear. except for the exception of external flash

TS over look the use of LED video light.

TS shooting video.

TS over look the use of LED video light.

doubt it will help much

Definitely should be made sticky. Not to be mean, but if you don't have the experience and equipments for a damn important job, know your place anddon't take it up. Like bro eleveninth said, leave it to the professionals or join a team of professionals and learn as an assistant or apprentice.

All these gabra "photographers" are spoiling the professional market and brining bad light to the professional photographer's community. I'm not a pro myself but I felt bad for the pros andthe couple. Even if they underpaid you, you accepted it yourself and you have no one to blame. It is not an excuse for you to f*** the job up.

Shame on you, really.

I don't think TS should bring along 2 more friends to feel safe and confident? Trying to diminish responsibility with more people getting involved is not the solution.

Imagine if the couple hire noob videographer, who bring 2 friends, and if they also hire noob photographer who also bring 2 friends, then we have a gang of 6 monkeys all donno what they doing destroying everything.

The right thing to do is to not to do it at all when you dont have the confidence nor the skill, experience and gear, rather than undercut the pros and mess it up.

The best photog/videog works alone, with an assistant to manage logistics and lighting. In super big weddings, then they engage another professional as second shooter.

is it? hmm cos i always see videographers using those LED video lights (adjustable brightness). anyway me not into videography haha.

as in. " in his hands" i doubt it will help much without the proper knowledge.

You don't care about yourself, but at least spare a thought for others also.

Not confident? don't do it.

And seriously can you tell us how the couple feels? about the result.. (photos, video etc etc)

Btw, I like the way you described a tight focal length, "so zoom"

Last edited:
as in. " in his hands" i doubt it will help much without the proper knowledge.

ah... haha yeah... but then i have touched a LED video light before... its not that tough to use (as compared to flash)... at least can help in some ways if TS had used it.

you all didnt even respond to my question -_- , now the weather is at fault.

@TS. don't blame the equipments when it's YOU yourself who is to be blamed.

throughout this whole thread, you've blamed the conditions, the setting, the location, ESPECIALLY the equipment. but not yourself.

really. if any action is taken against you, you deserve it

so next time you don't need to do so much research, just check the weather forecast.

and yay! i can be a wedding photographer too!

Last edited:
photographer? is video btw and i have shoot video for very long not a complete noob -_-, can some sincere person reply instead of lecturing me because this is my thoughts and the client understands it , i just wanna learn how to react to those situation. haiz

why blame the weather? its not going to be always sunny.

bad weather = low light and what u do with low light?

u should be prepare for this even if it means u had to look at the weather forecast the day before.

Last edited:
photographer? is video btw and i have shoot video for very long not a complete noob -_-, can some sincere person reply instead of lecturing me because this is my thoughts and the client understands it , i just wanna learn how to react to those situation. haiz

u claim that u had shot video very long. do u even know the existence of video light? myself i dun shoot video but for photographer, we use flash, for videographers, there is video light.

i am not proficient in videography but i am sure somehow using video light, it will at least help u in low light.

i look at your equipment, but find it weird u left out video light.

437092317_147.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.