Active NS shortened to 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

USM

Apr 25, 2002
Visit site
Saw this piece of news on TV. :bigeyes: This is simply marvelous especially to the younger generation or those who are still in NS. :what:

After 3 decades, the government has finally revised the duration of the service term. :)

Given globalisation, Singapore is facing many challenges ahead, we have to do something about it to tackle the situations.

This is a vicious cycle. We are facing job competition from foreign talents, skills upgrading in order to stay competitive, falling birth rate, average marriage age and divorce rate go up, etc. The list just goes on.

By shortening the NS duration, it might resolve certain Social Economical issues.

Having said that, what about the duration of NS Men, the reservists? Should there be some changes too? We all have served whole heartenly for 2.5 years and many more years of ICT, shouldn't we be lessen the burden of national defense. We are all getting old, why don't let the younger ones to take up more responsibility in national defense? :think:

sigh...army's rush to wait....and wait to rush...heh...if eliminate all the waiting...heh...prob can compress the whole NS period to a year....if you ask me lah...heh heh :D

USM said:
Having said that, what about the duration of NS Men, the reservists? Should there be some changes too? We all have served whole heartenly for 2.5 years and many more years of ICT, shouldn't we be lessen the burden of national defense. We are all getting old, why don't let the younger ones to take up more responsibility in national defense? :think:

Actually they DID just cut the reservist cycle last year. Instead of nine high key ICT, we only needed to do seven. The announcement came just before my seventh (and last) high key ICT. :cheergal: :cheergal: :cheergal:

My sympathies to my peers who were not on the waiting list for the first 3 years.

Having a young son, this news makes me happy! Hopefully they will cut down to 18 months by the time he is eligible.

StreetShooter said:
Actually they DID just cut the reservist cycle last year. Instead of nine high key ICT, we only needed to do seven. The announcement came just before my seventh (and last) high key ICT. :cheergal: :cheergal: :cheergal:

My sympathies to my peers who were not on the waiting list for the first 3 years.

Having a young son, this news makes me happy! Hopefully they will cut down to 18 months by the time he is eligible.

like u, I have a little 3 year old boy
so pretty happy to hear the news, at least as of today max he need to serve is 24 months, keeping my finger cross, hopefully got good news for him in 1.5 decade time ;)

isit true that with the new system, if u get gold for NAPFA test prior to enlistment ,then they will shave off 8 more weeks? then include time to clear leave and off => only need to do 1 year and 9 months only...

Hmmm I don't wish much, 2.5 yrs is nothing, even if it's 1 month it's still a waste of time. I just hope that the IPPT & RT can stand down, cos I find it really stupid, if I can pass it, I would have done it long ago.

I *seriously* however, don't mind reservist, it's a good break away from work. 7 hi-keys and 3 low keys, but in-case of emergency, the 3 low can become hi-key anytime. So I won't worry too much on the number of reservists, just rid the IPPT will do.

no IPPT then what for got reservist right? :) i mean..IPPT is the "basic" method for SAF to ensure that reservist "can still run" :bsmilie:

clive said:
isit true that with the new system, if u get gold for NAPFA test prior to enlistment ,then they will shave off 8 more weeks? then include time to clear leave and off => only need to do 1 year and 9 months only...

Yeap, this policy still applies.

Well, at least for me, I got my NS term shaved off by 2 months... better than nothing I must say.

clive said:
no IPPT then what for got reservist right? :) i mean..IPPT is the "basic" method for SAF to ensure that reservist "can still run" :bsmilie:

Yeah, run when SG is under attack, yes. :bsmilie: :devil: :blah:

Now if Mindef shorten NS for 2 years.
But in return for NS men to be combat for reservist, Mindef phase out IPPT and introduce SOC. :D

Singapore will be the strongest armed force in the world, technological superior and combat ready. Haha.

While some of us are happy that they have reduced the term to just 2 years, there will still be some of us unhappy. don't we just feel that we've been cheated?
its like we have been trying to put across to the government that 2 years is actually sufficient to be operational ready. its after so many years they finally realised that. sheesh!

anyway just hope that the younger generation will benifit from the short term but also not to go away from NS not learning anything. Because i know, that i have learnt alot during my term. I think that ns is a good time for self reflection and time to straigthen out our thinking.

again its an issue of something u dread but can't do without! = )

Like I said... 2 yrs, 2.5 yrs, it's just waste of time, waste of resources.

Now I'm waiting for them to abolish IPPT & RT. I've seen so many gold IPPT holders fall out during route marches & SIT tests. It's just a physical gauge, nothing much...

one scary thing is nowsday, they will spent more time in simulator than actual livefiring (can smell the aroma of sweat, dust and gunpowder) or driving tank (eating sand) in area D, machiam like play computer game.....
so in term of tolerance to hardship etc ........ a bit questionable......
or maybe the future warfare will be like playing computer game???
u hit a button, target destroy.........
make old people like us more or less obselete :)

yeah..nothing beats real life firing :thumbsup:

mysonlovenemo said:
one scary thing is nowsday, they will spent more time in simulator than actual livefiring (can smell the aroma of sweat, dust and gunpowder) or driving tank (eating sand) in area D, machiam like play computer game.....

so old miah? biologically older, yes. is this what society perceives us to be?
OT a bit. I heard over radio few days ago, that MOM has a program for those 'rejected' by employers by virtue of their age ie. early 40s. What a waste of human talent! This program gets them equipped with sales and marketing knowledge to jumpstart a small business like trolley carts business.

What is needed is anti-discriminatory hiring legistration, not guidelines!

The army knew all along that this day would be coming. It is evident in the song ...

... Once in our life, 2 years of our time ... .!

I remembered I used to sneak in the 2 and the half amidst laughters, but it just doesn't sound right ;)

mysonlovenemo said:

Agreed. What scares me is not the length of training, but the intensity and method of training and equipping. Without real-life practical training, I wonder how the new generation of NSmen going to endure the hardships of battles IF (yes, a big IF) war really befalls.

Peace is something that should NEVER be taken for granted. This concept cannot be drilled into the minds of S'poreans without suffering a bit of hardship. I was really a bit taken aback by the welfare nowadays when I visited the new Tekong "chalet" some years back. Soon they may air-condition all bunks and tanks.

doesn't matter if they lengthen it to 10yrs service or cut down to 1mth service.

they are training faggots now.. this cannot that cannot..

i wonder how some of them dare to call themselves men if they cannot even bear that little hardship.

all the mommy's boy...

Status
Not open for further replies.