Action Nightshoot. flash sync, shutter spd qn

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtwo

Mar 11, 2004
singapore
I got plans to go take shots of the drum out parade this sat, and suddenly thought of this qn.

Parade starts 1830, runs along roads so at least got a bit street light.
FM2 flash sync is 1/250. And assuming i use either colour neg iso800 or b&w neg iso1600. (for case scenario set any fastest film speed, pls correct if wrong.)

When the action gets too fast for the shutter speed, what choices do I have to not get blurred (screwed) pictures?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

foxtwo said:
I got plans to go take shots of the drum out parade this sat, and suddenly thought of this qn.

Parade starts 1830, runs along roads so at least got a bit street light.
FM2 flash sync is 1/250. And assuming i use either colour neg iso800 or b&w neg iso1600. (for case scenario set any fastest film speed, pls correct if wrong.)

When the action gets too fast for the shutter speed, what choices do I have to not get blurred (screwed) pictures?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Besides using a higher ISO, you can also try to use faster lenses.

sorry i don't understand by faster lenses.

foxtwo said:
sorry i don't understand by faster lenses.

Faster lenses are lenses with large maximum aperture (e.g f2.8, f1.8 etc). Shooting at the larger aperture allows you to use a faster shutter speed, hence 'faster lenses'.

if the situation makes u desperate for shutter speed, u can deliberately setup up to -1 stop of exposure compensation. since its low light situation, the deliberate underexposure wont hurt much

since u r usign manual body, => deliberately choose a higher shutter speed

if u r using electronic body => just set aperture priority, choose the max aperture, dail in up to -1 stop of exposure compensation. this will manifest as the body givign u a higher shutter speed to shoot with.

ic ok.

justarius: my lense only goes up to f3.8, so not a faster lenses i guess.

clive: say i use my flash which is synced at 1/250, then i can't choose a higher shutter spd? I read somewhere that it is not recommended...

oh ya sory overlooked that fact. your the fm2 it has focal plane shutter correct? yes the top sync of 1/250. technically u can purposely set any speed higher then 1/250 while using flash but then u will get one portion of the pic completely blocked by the rear curtain. it will show as a blackened portion of the pic

ouch.. ah well. i'll see how it goes.

justarius said:
Faster lenses are lenses with large maximum aperture (e.g f2.8, f1.8 etc). Shooting at the larger aperture allows you to use a faster shutter speed, hence 'faster lenses'.

Yup that is rite. Since you are using a FM2, I'll would use the 50mm f1.4. Very fast lense and also a good focal length for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.