acterlly, why Airbus never sue Sony for using A330, A380 etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
will it confuse some innocent consumers who has little knowledge of such equipments?
for example a cavemen or somebody teleported to 2009 from 1999.. :devil:

will it confuse some innocent consumers who has little knowledge of such equipments?
for example a cavemen or somebody teleported to 2009 from 1999.. :devil:

u can't trademark these numbers...

imagine every company start to trademark these numbers, whatever we type will be limited.

but i also wonder lah, y canon never sue u for using Rebel XT? i tot u work for Canon wor... :devil:

the best one I read... :lovegrin: :devil:

imagine every company start to trademark these numbers, whatever we type will be limited.

but i also wonder lah, y canon never sue u for using Rebel XT? i tot u work for Canon wor... :devil:

these is a small small d in front of the the Redel XT.. :think:

Eh, are you sure you cannot trade mark these numbers? I don't see why these letter/number combinations are not registrable under law. In fact, there are many similar letter/number combinations that have been registered and such letter/number combinations have been explicitly mentioned as being registrable in the UK Trade Marks Work Manual (Chapter 3a, Section 2.6) which is regarded as persuasive in Singapore. Singapore's current trade mark practices also does not disallow the registration of letter/number combinations.

For example, D200 is a registered trade mark in the United States; so is A380 (registered by Airbus).

The same position also exists in Singapore, where marks like "R380" and

The more likely reason of non-enforecement; is not because you cannot trade mark these numbers, but because the registration is probably in a field of activity not related to cameras. For example, it is likely that Airbus only registered A380 in respect of airplanes or the like; which are a clearly different field from cameras. It will therefore be more difficult to succeed in an infringement action (though by no means impossible). Further analysis is required to reach a conclusive opinion.

In reference to your second paragraph, such is not likely to be regarded as trade mark infringement; which is why I can type "A380" here and still not get into any trouble.

Eh, are you sure you cannot trade mark these numbers? I don't see why these letter/number combinations are not registrable under law. In fact, there are many similar letter/number combinations that have been registered and such letter/number combinations have been explicitly mentioned as being registrable in the UK Trade Marks Work Manual (Chapter 3a, Section 2.6) which is regarded as persuasive in Singapore. Singapore's current trade mark practices also does not disallow the registration of letter/number combinations.

For example, D200 is a registered trade mark in the United States; so is A380 (registered by Airbus).

The more likely reason of non-enforecement; is not because you cannot trade mark these numbers, but because the registration is probably in a field of activity not related to cameras. For example, it is likely that Airbus only registered A380 in respect of airplanes or the like; which are a clearly different field from cameras. It will therefore be more difficult to succeed in an infringement action (though by no means impossible). Further analysis is required to reach a conclusive opinion.

In reference to your second paragraph, such is not likely to be regarded as trade mark infringement; which is why I can type "A380" here and still not get into any trouble.

IIRC, They can trademark "Nikon D200" but not "D200" alone... but there is certain words that can be trademark like McDonalds can trademark "McChicken" cos its not something in the dictionary and the Mc word symbolise McDonalds.

Just imagine if Canon wanna make Nikon pissed, and trademark all whole numbers, since D1-3 is used, they go trademark D4-9, and then D1a-z without the x... its going to be rather funny... all of us will run out of words to write.

or maybe lets think... Anyone trademarked say 2000AD? or AD2000? probably a nice number to trademark, no?

cos i think myabe sony uses alpha 330, the a is alpha, not simply the alphabet A airbus uses for their planes, such as A330, A340, A380.

Technically you can't register numbers or individual letters or words that have common usage, but in certain cases where the numbers or letters have become "too recognizable" then there is a possibility .... such as 3M.

Trademarks are classified into different classes. In the above case, "aviation" is different from "photographic" classes and as such, Sony will have no problem at all. One famous brand, RAFFLES, is being used in so many classifications .... bakery, hotel, toys, etc...

However, even in certain similar classes, such as photographic, I don't think there is any problem at all to use 10D, D300, etc..... as these are NOT brands/trademarks but simply these are model names .... usually the different owners will try not to use the other models, not so much of infringement but more of commercial considerations such as not confusing the consumers .... :think:

now, back to McCurry .....:p

Technically you can't register numbers or individual letters or words that have common usage, but in certain cases where the numbers or letters have become "too recognizable" then there is a possibility .... such as 3M.

Trademarks are classified into different classes. In the above case, "aviation" is different from "photographic" classes and as such, Sony will have no problem at all. One famous brand, RAFFLES, is being used in so many classifications .... bakery, hotel, toys, etc...

However, even in certain similar classes, such as photographic, I don't think there is any problem at all to use 10D, D300, etc..... as these are NOT brands/trademarks but simply these are model names .... usually the different owners will try not to use the other models, not so much of infringement but more of commercial considerations such as not confusing the consumers .... :think:

lol... lets ask Steve as well... 3 way match.

I don't know where you get your sources of law from, but D200 is definitely registrable.

Check out US TM Registration No. 3360521 (Application Serial No. 78670451) in the name of Nikon Corporation, filed in Class 9 in respect of "Cameras".

Also, it is a common misconception that dictionary words cannot be registered. See case in point, Crocodile is a registered trade mark in Singapore.

There is nothing to be pissed about, Canon can file for D1 to D10 if they want to, and Nikon will then be free to try to invalidate their registrations.

Finally, even if someone registered a trade mark for "2000AD", and you used the words "2000AD' in common speech, you will not be infringing the registered trade mark. See Section 27 of the Singapore Trade Marks Act on what types of uses constitutes infringement.

IIRC, They can trademark "Nikon D200" but not "D200" alone... but there is certain words that can be trademark like McDonalds can trademark "McChicken" cos its not something in the dictionary and the Mc word symbolise McDonalds.

Just imagine if Canon wanna make Nikon pissed, and trademark all whole numbers, since D1-3 is used, they go trademark D4-9, and then D1a-z without the x... its going to be rather funny... all of us will run out of words to write.

or maybe lets think... Anyone trademarked say 2000AD? or AD2000? probably a nice number to trademark, no?

Individual letters or numbers lack the required distinctiveness to be capable of registration, but a combination of letters and numbers above 3 are registrable - check out the UK Trade Marks Work Manual I referred to above.

For less than 3, you can still register on the basis of acquired distinctiveness through use; which I think is what you are trying to get at (although not phrased entirely accurately).

Wheter 10D/D300 etc are registered trade marks depends on whether they are registered in the relevant country. It may be registered in US but not in Singapore.

Last edited by a moderator:
that was before they appealed. now they win, so they are allowed to keep the McCurry name.
I stand corrected. :sweat:

Truly Malaysia boleh, and this is also what happens when a Multinational Corporation (MNC) tries to skimp on some essential coffee money in bolehland. :bsmilie:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mcdee1477504c.jpg

Victory pose.

maharajamac.jpg

McDonald's fails to curry favour in Asia.
By James Quinn and published on 2009.10.08, 2029 hours (BST).

Last edited:
I stand corrected. :sweat:
Truly Malaysia boleh, and this is also what happens when a Multinational Corporation (MNC) tries to skimp on some essential coffee money in bolehland. :bsmilie:

I'm not in favour of this coffee money culture. But in the same way I deeply dislike when any MNC tries to enforce its brands on other cultures and people. They shall convince customers with quality, not with cracking down competition with questionable legal methods. Now they failed in both. :bsmilie:

Last edited:

not sure it was registered, but canon started off with D30 and D60 years ago, before swiching to 10D.

how about vince123123?

Status
Not open for further replies.