Acratech vs. Markins, which one is best buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bangkuangz

Sep 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi All,

Can you share your experience using these 2 ballheads? Currently their price is almost the same, so cost is no longer a factor to differentiate between the two :confused:

My setup will be Canon 10D + 70-200 f/4 and I am looking for a ballhead that give me a good tension control + easy to pan/tilt

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
1 got the looks (acratech), 1 got the built (markins)... depends on which 1 u prefer.

Thanks for the comment, any other comment more on the functionality and ease of use for both ball head?

Don't worry about the amount of weight the heads can handle... Your setup is going to be easy-going on them... Just go test them out at CP or somewhere and see which is the one you are more comfortable with. ;)

Cheers

amateur_photographer said:
acratech vs markins? B1 is the best :D:D

Aiyoh not enuff dough for B1 man :bigeyes: ... actually markins/arcatech is already over budget hehehe

Due to the design of the Acratech ballhead, it takes some time to get used to its handling.

If weight is a concern, Acratech is one of the lightest ballhead around.

Have you considered the RRS BH-55 ballheads? :)

songandesther said:
Due to the design of the Acratech ballhead, it takes some time to get used to its handling.

If weight is a concern, Acratech is one of the lightest ballhead around.

Have you considered the RRS BH-55 ballheads? :)

No have not even considered that (or heard that before to be honest) .. issit dat good?

bangkuangz said:
No have not even considered that (or heard that before to be honest) .. issit dat good?

I have no idea whether it is better than the rest of the ballheads. But it seems quite promising. Just point it out so that you can consider this ballhead when making yur decision.

The markins is about 100g heavier. But the load is about another 30kg more. You will never overload your markins. Probably. If you are particular about 100g and can't look beyond next week, then go for the Arcatech. Else the markins wil last you for life, every camera body and lens you can throw at it.

If you want to point down with the arcatech. You need to unlock the panning base, slide it round 180 then point down. I can't stand that, it is more irritating then I initially thought.

I was trying to choose between the two myself. In the end I went for the markins. I don't feel the Arcatech ballhead deserves to sell at a higher price then a markins. Of course the friendly distributor will say otherwise.

bernardsia said:
The markins is about 100g heavier. But the load is about another 30kg more. You will never overload your markins. Probably. If you are particular about 100g and can't look beyond next week, then go for the Arcatech. Else the markins wil last you for life, every camera body and lens you can throw at it.

If you want to point down with the arcatech. You need to unlock the panning base, slide it round 180 then point down. I can't stand that, it is more irritating then I initially thought.

I was trying to choose between the two myself. In the end I went for the markins. I don't feel the Arcatech ballhead deserves to sell at a higher price then a markins. Of course the friendly distributor will say otherwise.

Testing both system today and it seems like I am leaning toward Markins now. Check the price in Cathay and both are almost the same. However all the seller in CP claims that they had few complain from user of Markins in which their unit fail on heavy lens (500mm (not the 50-500mm)) and suggest acratech instead. Dunno whether this is their selling tactics, but just curious if there are anyone using Markins (that use heavy lens) ever experienced problem with their unit.

I am using Markins M10 but don't have 500mm GPMG, however having load it with the 70-200 VR, 2X, 500D, Velbon micro slider and the SB800 I don't think a 500mm would have problems. The head locks solid. Maybe you should ask what is the problem. The head once lock properly I cannot even pry it a micron with my hands.

bangkuangz said:
Testing both system today and it seems like I am leaning toward Markins now. Check the price in Cathay and both are almost the same. However all the seller in CP claims that they had few complain from user of Markins in which their unit fail on heavy lens (500mm (not the 50-500mm)) and suggest acratech instead. Dunno whether this is their selling tactics, but just curious if there are anyone using Markins (that use heavy lens) ever experienced problem with their unit.

bangkuangz said:

Short and stubby ballhead, but sure looks robust. Dunno if anyone has experienced using one yet. Interesting two drop-notches design... :think:

BH-55_Pro.jpg

I've seen a markins support a 500/4 with D2H and flash bracket with SB-800. No problems too.

Maybe just users who didn't know how to use? Cos as far as I'm concered, Steven & Chris are two experts in tripod & ballhead selections. They won't snook you to buy things you don't need, but they will tend to recommend the good stuff to you.

Btw, they aren't what they are, they shoot better than you think they sell their stuff ;)

espn said:
I've seen a markins support a 500/4 with D2H and flash bracket with SB-800. No problems too.

Maybe just users who didn't know how to use? Cos as far as I'm concered, Steven & Chris are two experts in tripod & ballhead selections. They won't snook you to buy things you don't need, but they will tend to recommend the good stuff to you.

Btw, they aren't what they are, they shoot better than you think they sell their stuff ;)

I know, thats why I am confuse now :D (they seem to know what they are doing and so far their recommendation always make sense) ... he told me that according to the user the tension control fail them if they use big mamma :bigeyes: .... BUT they told me they never use the Markins themselves. So .. as you said, it may be user error :think: .... both of them seems to see the acratech as a VERY good ballhead though! It's good that you tell me the Markins really work with 500 f/4 (not that I have one but at least it eliminate one of the possible issue that it have).

neither the acratech nor the M10 are ideal for use with long telephotos.

They are certainly usable, in the sense that they won't flop over and collapse, but users will occasionally experience aggravation over their operation with heavy weights (tele+pro series slr+flash bracket).

I believe the people at Nikonians.org also recommend the M20 over the M10 for long Nikkor teles.

IIRC, Christopher of CP uses Arca and not M-10, when I was shopping, Steven also encouraged me for the Arca. :)

espn said:
IIRC, Christopher of CP uses Arca and not M-10, when I was shopping, Steven also encouraged me for the Arca. :)

Yep, they encourage me to get between acra tech or arca swiss, problem with the later is that it cost BOMB :( ... anyway I think I settle with the M10, dun have big mamma at the moment and love the tension control (vs. the ultimate).

erwinx said:
neither the acratech nor the M10 are ideal for use with long telephotos.

They are certainly usable, in the sense that they won't flop over and collapse, but users will occasionally experience aggravation over their operation with heavy weights (tele+pro series slr+flash bracket).

I believe the people at Nikonians.org also recommend the M20 over the M10 for long Nikkor teles.

Hi Erwinx,

THanks for your comment. That make sense then, probably Markins did "over-rate" their capability in certain extend. I think when I have all the heavy weight stuff that you mentioned, I should have dough to buy a better ball :D ...

Will settle for the M10 with my current setup! (anyway my tripod can only take up to 4.5-6 KG, it will collapse before the ball head exceed it capacity)

I am looking for a more reliable ball head, my current one can't hold the wieght of my simple set up = 10D+grip+flash+lens. Did you finally buy the Markin M10 and at what price? What do you feel about it?

Thanks
L.Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.