ACHROMATIC macro lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgfriend

Dec 20, 2005
Pasir Ris
Like to know what is achromatic macro lens for? :dunno:

What i have was a Sigma achromatic macro lens. So when I set the Sigma 70-300mm into macro mode and use it to become macro and more macro?:dunno:

sgfriend said:
What i have was a Sigma achromatic macro lens. So when I set the Sigma 70-300mm into macro mode and use it to become macro and more macro?:dunno:

Yes ... it is basically a magnifying glass.

Mr blurblock is still the most helpful CSer.

There are two aspects to the description of this lens

1 Achromatic

2 Macro

"Macro" as explained by blurblock is a "magnifying glass"

Now for "achromatic".

A single lens causes colored fringes around images because the lens diffracts the different wavelengths in white light to slightly different extents.

An "achromatic" lens uses a combination of lenses to reduce this color aberration.

student said:
There are two aspects to the description of this lens

1 Achromatic

2 Macro

"Macro" as explained by blurblock is a "magnifying glass"

Now for "achromatic".

A single lens causes colored fringes around images because the lens diffracts the different wavelengths in white light to slightly different extents.

An "achromatic" lens uses a combination of lenses to reduce this color aberration.

Oh :confused:

I think the term is Apochromatic or APO for short. These are coatings on lenses that filter out different wavelengths of light. Without these, you will tend to get images with chromatic aberations or rainbows at the edges of images. its especially pronounced when using long lenses and in broad daylight.

Not necessary Apo.

Read this

http://www.redoptronics.com/achromatic-lenses.html

MDZ2 said:
I think the term is Apochromatic or APO for short. These are coatings on lenses that filter out different wavelengths of light. Without these, you will tend to get images with chromatic aberations or rainbows at the edges of images. its especially pronounced when using long lenses and in broad daylight.

MDZ2 said:

Achromatic is Achromatic .... Apochromatic is Apochromatic ..... two different animals altogether.....

MDZ2 said:
I think the term is Apochromatic or APO for short. These are coatings on lenses that filter out different wavelengths of light.

It has nothing to do with coatings. A basic achromat is made from two lenses of different optical glass, so that the chromatic abberations of one lens cancel those of the other. In general, this works exactly only for two wavelengths (for other wavelengths, chromatic abberation is reduced, but not eliminated).

Apochromats are corrected for three wavelengths and are not the same as achromats.

Status
Not open for further replies.