Acer laptops reliability

stinkyfoot17

Jan 2, 2005
Tampines
Hi all, wondering if there r any long term Acer supporters?
Can help be noticed that Acer laptops r always cheaper than other brands (specs vs specs).
But not sure if they r reliable in the long run (3-5 years)?

Also, the Acer 4755 series laptop features 2Gb dedicated graphics card.
Does it really play a part in Photoshop?

Was really contemplating if I should jus get an older ver (Core 2 Duo onwards) MB pro,
though I'm expecting a lot of replies to support the Mac.

But considering that I can get a better spec Windows laptop vs a lower spec Mac for the
price, what would b the better option?

Acer's got a pretty bad rep for built-quality.

For Photoshop, in general graphics card doesn't really help much. System memory and a fast CPU is key.

I had an acer laptop. After 10 months the optical drive died. After 2 years, the battery died, but I think I had a part in the death of the battery, since I was using the laptop ontop of a heated floor in sub zero temperatures.

But comparing that to my old Thinkpad T42... Humming along for 6 years, only a couple of weeks back, it started to give some intermittent problems.

Things nowadays are not built to last much longer than the warranty period. It is called Planned Obsolescence.

I had an acer laptop. After 10 months the optical drive died. After 2 years, the battery died, but I think I had a part in the death of the battery, since I was using the laptop ontop of a heated floor in sub zero temperatures.

But comparing that to my old Thinkpad T42... Humming along for 6 years, only a couple of weeks back, it started to give some intermittent problems.

Things nowadays are not built to last much longer than the warranty period. It is called Planned Obsolescence.

Ooo i had a T42p previously. Thinkpads = tanks.

Acer's got a pretty bad rep for built-quality.

For Photoshop, in general graphics card doesn't really help much. System memory and a fast CPU is key.

For certain graphics card, Photoshop can do GPU acceleration. So it does make a diff.

Ooo i had a T42p previously. Thinkpads = tanks.

Thinkpads before Lenovo bought over it are built like tanks. imo, currently they are just like any other brands out there now, but overpriced.

So I reckoned Acer is totally out of the equation.

I did read up that Photoshop does GPU accleration with some graphics card, but it seems that only the gaming laptops r utilizing these graphic cards, so the price is astromonical for a laptop.

Any recommendations for any economical laptops with graphic cards for GPU accleration?

My old (5-6 yr old) Acer laptop still works but I rarely use it these days.

But my Acer desktop on the other hand decided to commit suicide a month after the warranty expired frying the motherboard, hard disc and graphics card altogether. Lost a year's worth of data, worse was the family photos that were lost as well. And this computer wasn't even used for gaming or anything intensive just basic office work and internet use.

+1 with the thread starter I too am in the market for a laptop that does Photo editing and video editing well.

Been an Acer user, and although I think its good, most probably I wont buy one again.

For certain graphics card, Photoshop can do GPU acceleration. So it does make a diff.
The acceleration only affects the display of the program window and other animated gimmicks, the processing of the image is not accelerated at all, this remains the job of the CPU.

My previous aspire lasted me 5 yrs, still usable but some plastics are starting to crack. Change to another aspire at the first it show this yr. So far so good.

For photo editing cpu, ram and hdd is more important than gpu and graphics ram

well i am using an acer laptop right now with no dedicated graphics card and my cs5 photoshop runs smoothly. i guess with the fast updating society of computers, an acer would be a good choice- as acer laptops don't really last as long as the other competitors eg sony dell etc etc blah blah but it would make the upgrading process in the future much easier haha

i have an extensa turning 3yo this month.
i have no major complaints except maybe the battery which died 1 year into it's service. but i managed to get a replacement off ebay for under 40SGD, so it's not so bad. it's now back to a usable 2-1 hour at full charge. i am running it on 2GB DDR2 (tried upgrading, but looks like i checked my compatability wrongly) and i think lightroom 3 is the most resource eating program i have running on it. it's not fast by any means, but it's not too slow either. it's a decent unit, but it won't get people aroused.

for the price that i got it, it's not bad. but you do get what you pay for with these 'on sale' electronics. if the offer is good, i might get another acer, but no longer from the bargain bin. else, there is that vaio that i have been eyeing recently.

Acer? This brand... used by one of the richest corp in SG (I won't name it), low price tag. Problems faced? New Acers 1. Blown out power supply 2. Motherboard fry 3. Win 7 hang 4. Very poor battery life, so on
Pay cheapo get cheapo components

Not one, but hundreds!! Lenovos are durable, you know why? they use the more expensive transistor 1... that's what they say

I had bad experience with my 2 Acer laptops.

I bought them becos they are cheap. For my first Acer laptop, the optical drive, keyboard, HDD all died in the first 3 years. Fortunately, I have the extended warranty so these are fixed FOC.

I bought the second Acer laptop again on impulse because it is cheap ($499 before buying extended warranty) and I just need a basic laptop for leisure usage. Guess what, the HDD DOA. end up I have to bring it to Acer Service Center before I even get to use it. Needless to say, I bought extended warranty on this laptop so I am covered for the next 2 years.

I just bought Acer timelinex last COMEX 2011; warranty 3 years.. and this Timelinex battery can last for 4 years according to Acer

I just bought Acer timelinex last COMEX 2011; warranty 3 years.. and this Timelinex battery can last for 4 years according to Acer
That would not be the first time that companies make claims about battery life that turn out to be .. let's say.. rather optimistic and Reality has a good laugh, finally. There are too many factors that influence the battery life of a laptop and none of them is stated next to such claims.

When I lived in Taiwan I had a friend who worked for Asus or acer. I don't remember which one but I'm sure many companies do this. He said never buy the laptop in Asia except Japan. They have different levels of quality control. Those that pass the highest level are "bin A" and they go to US Europe and Japan. Bin b stays on Asia and local market.

Acer? This brand... used by one of the richest corp in SG (I won't name it), low price tag. Problems faced? New Acers 1. Blown out power supply 2. Motherboard fry 3. Win 7 hang 4. Very poor battery life, so on
Pay cheapo get cheapo components

Not one, but hundreds!! Lenovos are durable, you know why? they use the more expensive transistor 1... that's what they say

battery adaptor very fragile, missed that out haha dropped my once less than 30cm frm ground accidentally (less than half month new) and immediately got spoiled. altho the willingly replaced it foc :)