Accusation of stealing photos/ copyright infringement

zaren

Staff member
Oct 27, 2003
Today, clubsnapper "Jerry G" and flickr member "Kajren" accused me of stealing other clubsnappers' photos and posting them on my flickr account. He has a point. Although I have PP'ed the photos for the purposes of giving constructive criticism in critique corner, I should have mentioned that in flickr. As a result, I have deleted the photos in question from my flickr account and will refrain from posting PP'ed photos of other clubsnappers in CS in the future. :)

"Jerry G" and "Kajren"'s posts are appended below FYI.

Post by "Jerry G" on asterix07's thread "venice" in Critique corner

I noticed that the mod "Zaren" has been posting people's work from this forum on his own Flickr account. asterix07's beautiful picture of Venice suddenly appeared in Zaren's Flickr account without any acknowledgement to asterix himself. I wanna know if any permission has been granted on the owner's part. Besides that, ALOT of other people's work on this forum has been posted on Zaren's Flickr, you can go check.

Even if you made some PP on other's work, does that entitle you to put it on your Flickr?
Can someone clarify?

Makes me wonder if posting my work here for critiquing is safe or not.

Flickr message from "Kajren"
Subject: Explanation for stolen photos?

I've been a lurker on Clubsnap for some time now and I notice you are posting other people's photos on your Flickr account. I pointed that out in a particular thread and my post was deleted.

Here's an example: www.clubsnap.com/forums/critique-corner/1193600-venice.html notice how asterix07 photo has suddenly become your work on your Flickr.

Just because you did a basic PP on someone else's photo; as you always, does that entitle you to post it as your work on Flickr? Without giving the orignal artist his credit?

Please take a look and I'm expressing concern because this is not a good example. Your are breaking media law, infringement of intellectual properties on multiple occasions. I'll be reporting your online portfolio to the IPOS and ministry of law.

LOL the.post from kajren is hilarious. I love it when people just like to threaten with "I will report you to ipos and the ministry of law" (like they would care when there is no monetary issue)

Of course, the question then arises, where *should* you post the pics that you use to help people?

Gotta love locals who only know how to complain and shoot their mouth without knowledge.

what? if i don't post on flickr to upload images and show them when we give them help, where the heck we gonna upload? ( i use fb actually. but i'll include a note its not my photo and link it back to the CS thread)

he wanna report let him report lah. he has no case leh. for 1, i don't recall you making any profits from it. 2, the owner didn't complain right? and 3: editing the photo directly, and showing TS what you think is the nicer view, is probably the most efficient way of telling him a critique already.

and let me pull this out under SG IP law.

Permitted Acts

12.1.11 The CA has several provisions permitting certain acts which do not constitute copyright infringements. These acts are intended to strike a fair balance between the interest of copyright owners and the public interest. They include acts (popularly known as “fair dealings”) for the purposes of research and study, criticism or review, and reporting current events.

3 cases.

1: research & study
2: criticism and review (which critique will fall under)
3: reporting of current events.

and TS explicitly requested for No.2. Zaren you merely just helped him. no infringement there as far as i can see.

Last edited:
LOL the.post from kajren is hilarious. I love it when people just like to threaten with "I will report you to ipos and the ministry of law" (like they would care when there is no monetary issue)

Of course, the question then arises, where *should* you post the pics that you use to help people?

Gotta love locals who only know how to complain and shoot their mouth without knowledge.
let them complain lor. see what happens.
maybe zaren next time just add the credit on the image lor. don't stop helping ppl.

Last edited:
I feel your pain. Some people are really anal about 'their' photos, though in reality the commercial value of their works amounts to almost nil... to be blunt, their works lack the spruce and creativity and something that most would roll their eyes, though to the uninitiated owner, it's a fiercely guarded masterpiece. I've encountered a lot here, especially those who can't shoot at all (myopic artistically) but showcase their works proudly as 6th anniversary of my photography or whatever. Sad case

Does this mean that you should have created your own domain to host the images in private so no one will ever see those pictures online anywhere else?

This is a misunderstanding right?

Passersby should get their facts right before shooting their mouths off. :bsmilie:

I feel your pain. Some people are really anal about 'their' photos, though in reality the commercial value of their works amounts to almost nil... to be blunt, their works lack the spruce and creativity and something that most would roll their eyes, though to the uninitiated owner, it's a fiercely guarded masterpiece. I've encountered a lot here, especially those who can't shoot at all (myopic artistically) but showcase their works proudly as 6th anniversary of my photography or whatever. Sad case

It wasn't even 'their' photo. It was others who kaypoh kaypoh want to raise a hoohaa

if this is an honest mistake a simple explanation and apology should be suffice. Also let's respect the photograph owner if they feel that their photos are taken and posted to someone's else photo album without their permission even if the person who took them didn't earn anything.

To all who flame the one complaining, why not put yourself into their shoes? What if I took your photo and posted it in my flickr or FB or Photobucket or even here in CS without me giving credit to you? You'll feel bad also right, maybe some of you will even curse me? So to me the anger or frustration of the photo owners are valid and the apology of the our bro Zaren is also valid and appropriate and glad he even posted in a public forum show's his sincerity

if this is an honest mistake a simple explanation and apology should be suffice. Also let's respect the photograph owner if they feel that their photos are taken and posted to someone's else photo album without their permission even if the person who took them didn't earn anything.

To all who flame the one complaining, why not put yourself into their shoes? What if I took your photo and posted it in my flickr or FB or Photobucket or even here in CS without me giving credit to you? You'll feel bad also right, maybe some of you will even curse me? So to me the anger or frustration of the photo owners are valid and the apology of the our bro Zaren is also valid and appropriate and glad he even posted in a public forum show's his sincerity

If it's a picture of mine that I post for critique and you just have it on Flickr so you can show me the suggested changes... I would not be mad because you're not leeching.

I think to be careful i would upload it and turn the visibility to only myself. I was editing the Venice photo and intended to upload as being visible to only myself (as flickr would just be hosting the photo), then link the image to appear on the critique thread.

Zaren also edited my photo and hosted in flickr then posted to show me the outcome. I never once thought he is passing off my photo as his as i think it is quite common sense that if that is the intention, he'd choose a good or even an excellent shot and pass it off as his, without having to go through so much work.

I suspect this kajren is a troll.

It's probably an honest mistake. Believe Zaren didn't profit from showing the pics on his flickr account right? I think those guys who use xmm pics taken by others and use them to erm... Ok I have digressed. :)

If asterix07 is not complaining, then what is the fuss?
asterix07 may have no issue with it at all.

kudos to zaren for his integrity and coming forward to be transparent about it.
the humble shall be exalted

I for one liked to see the 'before' and 'after' shots that Zaren has done. A properly processed picture speaks a thousand words.

oui you sleeping ar? its not the anger/frustration of photo owners. its some random 3rd party who are too bored and wanna pick a fight. owner didn't say a thing.

lollollol

anyways, i propose we start a list to ease Kajren's job of reporting.

1: Allenleonhart
2: Zaren

feel free to add on if you have done it before. lets all help Kajren shall we? CS critique will never be the same again!

i can even attach the image i uploaded to where for him to see.

allenleonhart.png

url? here

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/ir-uv-photography/1191853-totally-lost-ir.html

Last edited:
chill guys....this is meant to be a nice friendly discussion...

above all, we are a photography community, so we welcome feedback and input from all members, positive and negative, in a transparent way.

:)

i just want to ask.

who wants to steal shitty photos to pass off as their own?

lol this thread is a joke.

They expect the gov to solve all their problems. Maybe deport the mod :bsmilie:
But they have a point. I'd be careful not to post other ppls photo without giving credit.

anyways, i propose we start a list to ease Kajren's job of reporting.

1: Allenleonhart
2: Zaren

feel free to add on if you have done it before. lets all help Kajren shall we? CS critique will never be the same again!

i can even attach the image i uploaded to where for him to see.

allenleonhart.png

url? here

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/ir-uv-photography/1191853-totally-lost-ir.html

LOL WUT. That looks damn familiar. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Come to think of it, both you and Zaren edited my photos before. Not that I am complaining, more like I would be paiseh that people spend time on my photo and help me with it, with no returns and feel gratitude about it. I believe many people who received such help here would feel the same way. And yes, like i mentioned, who on earth will go through such trouble to pp someone else's shot which could have mistakes all over and pass off as his own? Might as well pass off a great shot as his what.

Last edited: