accuracy and precision depends on lens or Body?

lhc500d

Dec 1, 2009

I intend to upgrade to either 60d or 7d.

if 60d i may still have cash left to go for 70200f2.8 mk2.

if 7d i might have to settle for 70200f2.8 mk1

i shoot alot of events and i love shooting dance and capture the moment..

any expert on this?

You mean accuracy and precision of AF? Or what? Whitebalance?

Assuming you mean AF, in my experience it's 80% in the body. A good lens will allow the body to focus faster or more accurately, but if your camera body CMI then even the best lens won't help you get better AF.

Af lens: both.. Example 85L mk 1 &2 for speed, sigma lens eg for precision.
Body just compare say 1D and 5D for speed. Precision not sure..is more of can focus or not under dark conditions i think.

Just read reviews see the improvement from mk1 to 2 consists of af speed or not.. I am more inclined towards 60D package for the lens.. Unlesd the dancers dance at the speed of fast birds flying or cars i think af for 60D is sufficient. You need weather sealing and fast fps for dance?

my take : invest in a good lens (MKII) , unless u need the extra AF, fps and weather sealing of 7D.

do note that the 70-200mk1 is also a very very hightly rated lens, it might be already more than u need

AF accuracy and precision (are you using these terms interchangeably or in strict technical definition? - i'd assume interchangeable) depend entirely on the body. If we were to draw a driving analogy, the lens is the car, the camera body is the driver. Top speed and acceleration depends on the car, but control and route and everything else depends on the body. The body analyzes the subject distance/movement and tells the lens the direction and amount to focus. The lens motor (which can be on the body for brands like Nikon) determines how fast/reliably it is done.

Accuracy refers to how correct the focus is (front-rear focussing issues), precision refers to the smallest stepping available in the motor, or distance resolution in the body focusing system.

Actually, we need to remember another aspect here...

It's not the body, not the lens, it's what's behind them, the photographer, that's most important. You need to know how/where to accurately focus, how to use profocus, how your actions can cause an image to be out of focus, etc.

If you are having blurry pictures, it is most likely poor technique, not the body or lens.

up to now.... whether phase detection or contrast detection methods are used to acheive autofocus ....... its in the body

my take : invest in a good lens (MKII) , unless u need the extra AF, fps and weather sealing of 7D.

do note that the 70-200mk1 is also a very very hightly rated lens, it might be already more than u need

thank you for all who come in and advise and help so far appreciate it.

IMHO, get the 40D/50D, rather than the 60D.

Why?
-Higher FPS (Since you wanna capture the moment, this is very important)
-Mag Alloy body comapared to Polycarbonate fibre glass chasis a.k.a PLASTIC

Alternatively, if you have the guts to play it big,
get a second hand 1D mk2, it has cons but the pros make up for it.

Last edited:
yes i hrd that 1dmk2 is v v v fast, some of my pro fotog fren actually recommend me to go for that..

I intend to upgrade to either 60d or 7d.

if 60d i may still have cash left to go for 70200f2.8 mk2.

if 7d i might have to settle for 70200f2.8 mk1

i shoot alot of events and i love shooting dance and capture the moment..

any expert on this?

Just get the 7D for fast AF. for 70-200/2.8, get a used one.

Just get the 7D for fast AF. for 70-200/2.8, get a used one.

ok thank you, i got myself 7d and 70200 mk 2 already, waiting to get familiarize and release its full potential already..

but i need to train dumbbell abit.. its very heavy with 70-200 mount on it.

congrat on your new purchase . . . the combi is quite heavy . . . just have to get use to it and hope to see your beautiful shots posted . . . ;)

congrat on your new purchase . . . the combi is quite heavy . . . just have to get use to it and hope to see your beautiful shots posted . . . ;)

hha i still dun have the habit of posting here yet, but if i do, pls come in and give advice ok..

75% on body. 25% on lens;p

QUOTE]

Jokes aside, I think it is the BODY behind the lens & body. Nobody beats the macro shooters when it concerns accuracy and precision, and they normally use manual focus, to be exact!!:bsmilie::bsmilie::bigeyes:
Cheers.
LEW