Accident involving MEWP

Bukitimah

Nov 28, 2010
Singapore
collapsed-shelter-6-data.jpg

Are people operating such machines properly trained and are these machines meeting basic standard safety feature? Who is ensuring these training and safety features are adequate before issuing licences? For example, you cannot just import a car and then drive on our road. You also need to take a test by LTA before you can drive one. Same for MEWP?

It is not just construction sites. We are seeing accidents in public spaces and even for construction sites, public safety also affected due to the proximity to general public areas.

No need special training. Just common sense would suffice.

That is one of the problems. I am quite sure the operator didn't want this to happen. If the machine has sensor to warn him that crane is not lower when he drives off, like if you don't fasten your seat belt the warning signal comes on, this could be avoided.

However, the key is still my earlier questions.

Height limitation sign etc are always posted, but people just don't bother to note. Not only the driver is at fault; the supervisor/owner should be taken to task as a collective responsibility.

All car drivers undergo highway code and practical driving tests before obtaining a licence. See how accidents, many serious, continue to happen everyday on the roads!

Sometimes, free food and lodging for a short period do help a lot; not fines :)

Are people operating such machines properly trained and are these machines meeting basic standard safety feature? Who is ensuring these training and safety features are adequate before issuing licences?

Valid questions but premature at this point, since we don't know what the cause was. Whether it was because the driver was improperly trained, machine fault, or simply user error/distraction and poor judgement - which can happen even if the driver was properly trained and machine had proper safety features.

Just look at common traffic accidents, how many of them happened because the driver didn't have a license or due to lack of safety features? Most probably happen due to user error or poor judgement at that point in time.

All car drivers undergo highway code and practical driving tests before obtaining a licence. See how accidents, many serious, continue to happen everyday on the roads!
Have you ever watched drive instructors at work? Do it, position yourself near Ubi Drive Center or other similar locations. It becomes obvious why such accidents still happen. I don't know what they are doing there but driving lessons are something different.

Are people operating such machines properly trained and are these machines meeting basic standard safety feature? Who is ensuring these training and safety features are adequate before issuing licences? For example, you cannot just import a car and then drive on our road. You also need to take a test by LTA before you can drive one. Same for MEWP?

It is not just construction sites. We are seeing accidents in public spaces and even for construction sites, public safety also affected due to the proximity to general public areas.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/workplace-saf...rator/apply-to-be-a-registered-crane-operator

if a man forgot to zip his pant after he came out from the toilet, who's fault is that? his parents?

My point is; any type of training courses pertaining operating any machinery, the trainers will stress on all the safety aspects first before letting the students know how to operate the machinery.
so why this operate didn't lower the broom arm before he move off? are you telling me they missed this during his training?

Is there such thing as ZERO accident rate?

It's not the driver or the trainer's fault.

The fault is with the persons who built the pedestrian walkway shelter not high enough. :bsmilie:

It is good to hear from different views. But my points here are:

1) is operator of such machine adequately trained? At least getting a driving licence you need to pass LTA test. Surely operation an equipment of this nature requires more training than driving a car. Who is the certifying body?

2)a car requires safety feature and to be tested before being allowed on the road. Even the same model put up by PI need to undergo test. Do we have similar test for such machine?

Having all training and safety feature do not guaranty no accident. So we do away with them since accident happen?

Public safety is more important than cost to operate business.

It is good to hear from different views. But my points here are:

1) is operator of such machine adequately trained? At least getting a driving licence you need to pass LTA test. Surely operation an equipment of this nature requires more training than driving a car. Who is the certifying body?

2)a car requires safety feature and to be tested before being allowed on the road. Even the same model put up by PI need to undergo test. Do we have similar test for such machine?

Having all training and safety feature do not guaranty no accident. So we do away with them since accident happen?

Public safety is more important than cost to operate business.

from what I know,
#1, to drive a truck in this size, you need class 5 driving licence, to sit for class 5 licence driving test, you need to have valid class 3 for more than one year and above 21 years old.
#2, to operate the crane, you need another licence, please read from the link I posted earlier.
#3, all machinery, have to go thru inspection periodically to get a cert for safe to use.

for this case, I think can classified as human error.

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifesty...ing-is-dangerous-but-people-continue-doing-so

I like this comment in the article:

Says undergraduate Nur Zahirah Ismail: "I know it is dangerous, but I still do it because I haven't had an accident so far."

...so how...?
Using mobile phones while walking is not only dangerous, but also super irritating to others around them.

always wanted to tell them, "can you see where you go? don't like at your phone for a while won't die want!!"