Accident at 1st Cdo Bn - Hendon Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

XSTART

May 26, 2005
There is a very short paragraph on the ST today reporting that there was a training accident at Hendon Camp that resulted in 2 death. Anyone know what happened? :dunno:

Not much info regarding this in The New Paper..

Just curious, i understand 1st commando bn won best unit again.. kinda strange since the drowning incident is only last year right? or i rem wrongly...

With the Drowning incident, parachuting accident and this latest accident, i wonder if there's something wrong with the training procedures...

ns.jpg

taken from http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showpost.php?p=14909195&postcount=18

2 soldiers were involved.
one from the CRF ( Commando regular force), the other is a bruneian soldier.
Heliborne accident...

Sorry to here that.... :(

Last year dunking accident came as a shock to many... i guess the trainers got too involved.

Wow.. 24 yrs old 1SG already. Pitiful, think that NSF would have gone far.

The 'best' battalion award is not based on accidents but on points systems for exercises carried through the year.

A similar accident occured many years back involving 4 NS men as well. it was due to the miscommunication between the Pilot of the heli and the despatcher for the soilders.

Very Sad....

sad to hear it.... condolences to the families of the deceased servicemen.

espn said:

The 'best' battalion award is not based on accidents but on points systems for exercises carried through the year.

ESPN...The guy is a regular.... not NSF....He's is from the Commando Regular force..

Fatal accidents are not uncommon in 1st Cdo due to the nature of the unit. I remember attending 2 funerals - 1 parachute accident and 1 opened sea drowning during my 2.5 years NS with the unit in the mid-80s. :cry: Very sad to see these fine young men perished like that.

Wonder what happen.. Heliborne shouldn't be too dangerous actually especially after safety pin thing implemented.

My Condolence.

espn said:

I know based on point systems but surely the dunking incident would have set them back right?

nemesis32 said:
I know based on point systems but surely the dunking incident would have set them back right?
I won't discuss on the point system, because it doesn't matter to me, what matters is that lives have been lost. Having the best point system or calculating the points doesn't matter anymore.

Lives that have been lost, cannot be recovered.

deslim27 said:
Wonder what happen.. Heliborne shouldn't be too dangerous actually especially after safety pin thing implemented.

My Condolence.

Safety pin would prevent accidental release of the LAD but it does not prevent accidents from happening if there was a miscommunication between Pilot and Despatcher...

two to three weeks ago, a commando died while doing counter-terrorism exercises off changi naval base.

deslim27 said:

My Condolence.

even the parachute can open properly, accident still can happen in the mid air
this is a true accident happen to my senior many years back

after he jumped, the parachute opened as usual, but a strong wind blow him off the course and end up he flew above another parachute

due to the low pressure create above the parachute, my friend's parachute COLLAPSED and he FREE FALL and hit a tree, then landed on a solid ground.

The branches probably saved his life but he was in hospital for 6 mths....and then downgraded to become storeman

is a parachute used in a heliborne ops? from the news, it was mentioned ropes were used, presumbably from the helicopter for descent.

Wai said:
even the parachute can open properly, accident still can happen in the mid air
this is a true accident happen to my senior many years back

after he jumped, the parachute opened as usual, but a strong wind blow him off the course and end up he flew above another parachute

due to the low pressure create above the parachute, my friend's parachute COLLAPSED and he FREE FALL and hit a tree, then landed on a solid ground.

The branches probably saved his life but he was in hospital for 6 mths....and then downgraded to become storeman

reachme2003 said:
is a parachute used in a heliborne ops? from the news, it was mentioned ropes were used, presumbably from the helicopter for descent.

parachute? :bsmilie:

Before the parachute open fully, back side on the ground liao..

Status
Not open for further replies.