Accessories for FZ5

Status
Not open for further replies.

airconvent

Apr 12, 2005
ok...I finally managed to buy myself a UV filter and thus starts my search for accessories for the FZ5 (with apologies to the guy I nearly bought my UV filter but deal called off as he could only meet me very far from my place making it not economcal...)

In anycase, I'm now using a Hoya UV(Coated) filter. Does not look any different but its a whole lot cheaper ($13) than the original Lumix "normal" protection filter at $29!!

Bag :
With the adaper, filter and lens cap, its a very tight fit for my camera in the original hard case...do I need to upgrade the bag? hope not!

Wrist Strap :
Ever notice how cumbersome it is that both your camera and hardcase has a shoulder strap? Well, I decided to remove the shoulder strap on the camera and replace it with a wrist strap instead. works beautifully and you can buy these "extra leftover" straps from the shops for between $3-$5.
I now have a means to secure the camera to my hand for safety and yet able to out the camera back in the hard case very quickly.

Vitacon Wide-cum-macro lens:
Is this good?? The recommended Olympus WCON series is ex at around $180+. The vitacon as recommended by AP has a wide angle lens (0.5) coupled to a macro lens, so you get the best of both worlds for $161. It needs an adpater ring (55-58 mm) that is included. I noticed the wide angle mode does not have too much distortion and even less than the stand alone WA lens the guy recommended. Since the min focus for FZ5 is 5cm, I though the macro lens would be good. Any feedback on this one? Should I have gone for it?

External Flash :
Yes!! The FZ5 can take an external flash. Its actually a Panasonic-branded attachment that screws to the bottom of your camera. The external flash (sold separately) is attached on the extended hotshoe and fires automatically once the built in flash fires, albeit after a split second delay.
This mechanical contraption cost $75!! No thanks...I'll use sunlight for now.

Appreciate any comments on the above
thanks in advance...

I thought the 55mm hoya UV filter costs only $10 at MS color?

Yes, i recommend you to upgrade your bag. The original one sucks. The one i bought can accomodate the FZ5 with its flower hood fixed on, plus lots of small compartments to keep your filters, memory card, lense cloth etc.

I got mine at Cathay Photo for $30 bucks, brand is Temba i think. It is just nice for the FZ5, very compact.

airconvent said:
Vitacon Wide-cum-macro lens:
Is this good?? The recommended Olympus WCON series is ex at around $180+. The vitacon as recommended by AP has a wide angle lens (0.5) coupled to a macro lens, so you get the best of both worlds for $161. It needs an adpater ring (55-58 mm) that is included. I noticed the wide angle mode does not have too much distortion and even less than the stand alone WA lens the guy recommended. Since the min focus for FZ5 is 5cm, I though the macro lens would be good. Any feedback on this one? Should I have gone for it?

Don't get the Vitacon wide convertor. Saying that the distortion is bad is an understatement. Go figure.

Stick with what the people here are recommending, either the Olympus WCON-07 or WCON-08. You can get used unit for around $100 and the glass quality is good.

Remember, rubbish in, rubbish out. Use a lousy convertor lens and guess what happen to your FZ5's Leica lens. ;)

silvergetz said:
I thought the 55mm hoya UV filter costs only $10 at MS color?

Yes, i recommend you to upgrade your bag. The original one sucks. The one i bought can accomodate the FZ5 with its flower hood fixed on, plus lots of small compartments to keep your filters, memory card, lense cloth etc.

I got mine at Cathay Photo for $30 bucks, brand is Temba i think. It is just nice for the FZ5, very compact.

alamak!!! I checked the prices at AP(funan) was $17 and at CP was $13 so I thought it was pretty ok...had no idea MS sells it even cheaper...

as for the bag, actually I already have a camcorder bag which should fit the camera but that would make the whole package bulky like the FZ20...

cheers

The transportation fee for you to travel from CP to MS is already more than $3, not to mention the time and effort involved. Sometimes must think of the opportunity cost involved

aiyah...MS near my house but CP further away...somemore in CBD...sigh....

MS is in AMK? That wouldn't be too far... from me!

ermz... i've gotten myself a Slave flash for $55... the emoblitz one..
fires quite well.. but you gotta learn to work with aperture mode for best exposure since camera can't control flash power..
i can get v good effect with it... haha and it's quite fun..

Speaking of wrist strap, do MC Color or Alan Photo sell wrist strap? Cathay Photo doesn't sell wrist strap, they say its rare.. ;)

newbiegrapher said:
Speaking of wrist strap, do MC Color or Alan Photo sell wrist strap? Cathay Photo doesn't sell wrist strap, they say its rare.. ;)

I bought it from a shop diagonally opposite CP. You can't get new ones but these guy sells leftover straps from cameras that have been sold off or have been "decommissioned". ie. its a wrist strap junk yard. he has about 2 dozen and I chose one branded "olympus"..heh heh
otherwise all the other stores says they don't sell them anymore..

darn... i should haf seen the post 1 day earlier.. was at CP earlier..
was asking for straps, they say dun haf..
end up buy optech bag strap.. was looking for wrist strap + lowepro waterbottle holder..

don't worry..such things happen.
have you tried buying those handphoen straps at pasar malams instead?
as long as its sturdy, no reason why we can't use it.
cheers

airconvent said:
I bought it from a shop diagonally opposite CP. You can't get new ones but these guy sells leftover straps from cameras that have been sold off or have been "decommissioned". ie. its a wrist strap junk yard. he has about 2 dozen and I chose one branded "olympus"..heh heh
otherwise all the other stores says they don't sell them anymore..

argz tat shop, i missed it.... mayb i should try pasar malam then..haha

yah airconvent bro, i also intend to look for alternative macro lens for FZ5 also

the tele lens i was recommended for budget considerations also have a built in macro combo but only availalble in their pennisula branch

strange. I just came across a tamron macro lens in which the minimum focus length is 29cm!! why is this called macro?
I thought macro means you can take much nearer shots? i.e. for the FZ5, closer than 5cm?

as i said earlier, I was recommended a combined macro cum wideview lens for $161 but my friend claims such combo products are no good at all...anyone can comment?

airconvent said:
strange. I just came across a tamron macro lens in which the minimum focus length is 29cm!! why is this called macro?
I thought macro means you can take much nearer shots? i.e. for the FZ5, closer than 5cm?

as i said earlier, I was recommended a combined macro cum wideview lens for $161 but my friend claims such combo products are no good at all...anyone can comment?

aiyo... people already told u the reasons here right? Olympux WCON07 and WCON08 is the way to go for wide angle.

tao said:
aiyo... people already told u the reasons here right? Olympux WCON07 and WCON08 is the way to go for wide angle.

i know... i know ...but also thinking of getting the macro lens for insect photography.. if the vitacon macro-cum-wideview can make it somehow, then I will get that one...heh heh

airconvent said:
i know... i know ...but also thinking of getting the macro lens for insect photography.. if the vitacon macro-cum-wideview can make it somehow, then I will get that one...heh heh

I sold away my 62mm Vitacon 0.5X Wide con with macro attachment after
taking a few photo and gotten the 55mm Oly Wcon08 instead.
So what do you think?

donchua said:
I sold away my 62mm Vitacon 0.5X Wide con with macro attachment after
taking a few photo and gotten the 55mm Oly Wcon08 instead.
So what do you think?

hi don,
that will only satisfy your wide angle needs but what about macro? what lens are you using?
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.