accessories for first camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

nard

Jan 5, 2003
Visit site
Hiyall,

I intend to get a digicam - Nikon cp 4300.
however, i would really appreciate if you could let me know what other accessories do i need to get with it as it is my first digicam.

Example, extra batteries? software? drybox?

btw, would Cathay or Alan Photo give a better price if i bought more stuff?

i wanted to get an SLR instead but decided to go for a digital camera.

5.extra batteries

(1 is not enough,the camera eat up battery very fast, you need to have another one for standby.)

even worse, proprietary batteries, which will cost you some.

Originally posted by fruitybix
even worse, proprietary batteries, which will cost you some.

what are proprietary batteries?

Originally posted by nard
what are proprietary batteries?

They are batteries that only a particular model of camera can use. Hence they would need special chargers as well...

Once you've mastered your camera, you can also consider getting some teleconvertors, wide angle and macro lenses.

Hi there! I a newbie and intend to get a tripod. Saw some normal ones at photo places (like Standard Photo) selling at S$28 like that. Read in another thread talking about Slik Sprint Pro GM selling S$75 at MSColor.

Can anyone enlighten me what are the things to lookout for in a good tripod and why the drastic price difference for the above? I've heard of those with remote and wire type but just looking for something simple to support my Canon S50. Thanks! :)

Originally posted by Spikey
Hi there! I a newbie and intend to get a tripod. Saw some normal ones at photo places (like Standard Photo) selling at S$28 like that. Read in another thread talking about Slik Sprint Pro GM selling S$75 at MSColor.

Can anyone enlighten me what are the things to lookout for in a good tripod and why the drastic price difference for the above? I've heard of those with remote and wire type but just looking for something simple to support my Canon S50. Thanks! :)

Most of the differences are weight and structure.
Some ppl prefer a light one for travelling. But some feel that too light will mean less stability. Structure wise, the material used? But more importantly is the extendable height. Make sure its sumwhere in your height. You would'nt want to bend down a lot to take shots right? Thats gona hurt. Other things include accessories like Quick release plate, ball head etc. I reckon that the cheaper tripods have QR plate.

Based on the 2 choices you've suggested, i would go for the Slik Sprint Pro GM, not a user of it, but have heard rave reviews on it. Its light, quite a reasonable full extend height, think its around 1.7m? For Canon S50 (wow, tts fast of u to get the new camera!), i tink Sprint Pro GM is good, and if u are less fussy, get the Slik U6600, U8000, U9000. They are quite good too.

Hope i hav provided sufficient information. I was also a new hobbyist scouting for a tripod a few months ago.

Regards.
Wryer

Thanks for the advice man! I think I won't get the Pro GM Digital Tripod but something cheaper like U6600 or U8000, selling $36 & $42 respectively. Thanks again!

If u intend to go the SLR/DSLR way, it might be better to get something better like the manfrotto 190 + 141RC head.

Should cost you abt $200 new.

The major difference for tripod is due to the stability and max weight load.

Lighter material like carbon fibre will make the price much more expensive.

Better to buy something you can grow into, right? Unless cost is really a major factor.

Once in a while this combo will be on sale at 120 or so.

Wah ... $200 too steep for me ... I think I'll either go for the Carrefour cheong $22 type or at most the Slik U6600 ($36). See how if upgrade to SLR/DSLR then will consider again. Thanks for the advices anyways :thumbsup: :)

Wah ... $200 too steep for me ... I think I'll either go for the Carrefour cheong $22 type or at most the Slik U6600 ($36). See how if upgrade to SLR/DSLR then will consider again. Thanks for the advices anyways :thumbsup: :)

You won't regret this purchase.

If you get the cheaper ones, you will be fed up with the quality of it and in the end dun use it at all..

$22 or $36 down the drain.

You could use a dustbin or low wall if U dun do much long exposure shot.

For $6 more, you can get the Slik U8000 ! It's heavier (read more sturdy) and take loads up to 2kg, and extends fully to around 1.7m... A choice to be seriously considered IMHO...

wah ... very tempting man also I think ... $6 more dollars. But I only 1.65m tall dun think need so high one ... Will go down CP or MSColor to check it out one of these days ... and be psycho-ed of its stability by the sales pple there :bsmilie: Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.