AC-DC inverters for cars?

Evilmerlin

Jul 26, 2002
Woodlands
Do any of you guys use it? Those that you plug into the cigarette lighter. Any recommended models to go for? Want to plug in my laptop on long drives up to Malaysia.

I actually sell this item in my real life job. Will work as long as you only plug in one item and not be greedy and try to do too much. 400 watts enough for laptop brick. Also will power your mobile charging if you have USB cable.

I'm using the Belkin one. Available from certain Home-fix outlets.

Pretty reliable.

it's the one on the left

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Does the cigarette port have enough power for both the laptop and a GPS unit? My plan is to get those extension units like zac08's and plug in both the converter (with laptop) and the GPS.

I've read that the port can only do 120W max, isn't 400W too much for it?

Thanks for the info! Does the cigarette port have enough power for both the laptop and a GPS unit? My plan is to get those extension units like zac08's and plug in both the converter (with laptop) and the GPS.

I've read that the port can only do 120W max, isn't 400W too much for it?

Sorry, Sleeping when I posted last. Should be 140 watts. 400 watts is only for units that hook up direst to batt terminals. As for the enough power for 2 items, flip over the power bricks and do some maths.

Last edited:
If all you want to do is run a laptop , you will be better off getting a 'auto-air' laptop power supply - then you only have one conversion happing instead of two.

When I travel I take the 'Auto-Air' power supply for my dell - it takes AC power AND DC from car (and aircraft) power sockets.

I guess if you are driving you don't care about power effciency, just a few more watts of power sucked out of your petrol engine - but it you have reason to run with the engine off and just using the battery, every bit of extra effciency helps.

I work with guys who do need to run laptops for long periods with the engines off - and our work cars are fitted with larger batteries, alternators and hard-wired 1kw inverters....

And the 1kw inverter near melted it's leads when first installed. The thing is now connected to the batteries with what is effectively electric welder cable.

If I reading this right, these auto/air power supplies will replace the power brick that comes with the laptop correct?

If I reading this right, these auto/air power supplies will replace the power brick that comes with the laptop correct?

Yep - I have a 12-24v DC, 100-250v AC 50/60Hz power brick. An all in one jobbie.

However I notice on our last order, Dell have started shipping a smaller DC only 'auto-air' power supply that's about 1/4 the size of the mains power brick, but no longer takes mains as well, so you need to carry 2 devices. A backwards step if you ask me.

Kensington and APC sell 'generic' AC/DC laptop power supplies.

Yup, a quick google search showed me those two brands. Now to hunt them down in Singapore. I'm using an Asus laptop so I'll have to get one of those as Asus doesn't do travel adaptors.