Abt lens for newbie with tight budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoho85

Dec 1, 2009
West
Sorry if it has been posted many times. I tried to search many of them but dunno the price and capabilities.

with already the kit lens EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS, if i buy canon 500D.

I know its more of a general lens, some say u still can take great pictures with them.
I hear that i can get a gd price if i get the lens at the same time when i buy the camera. So i wanna make sure i know wad lens i want for myself.

Normally i like to take pictures of something from medium range like 2-3m to close, and like the bokeh when i take my friends or objects. Though i like landscapes too, but not so often. And zooming.. Unless i go to zoo, if not seldom zoom into people's face.. but seems like many in forum like to recommend >55-200mm lens. or some 17-200 or something.

Just wondering can kit lens take nice close ups or mid range with nice DOF effect? I know its a vague question. =(

in fact my friend recommend me 50mm prime lens f1.8 i think.

I am really on tight budget. Any lens of this kind is at economical pricing? Price is most impt now....

Last edited:
Hello!
The 18-55mm IS is a nice lens to start out with.
There is no need to buy any more lenses.
Just keep shooting and shooting until u reach the limits of what the lens can offer.
Might need to read about things like shutter speed / aperture size / ISO / focal lenght etc
Only if you need something more than 18-55mm can offer, do you really need to buy another lens.
By then you will have answered your own question on what lens to buy ;)

Happy Shooting !!!

The kit lens is fine. You also have not stated your budget for the lens.

my budget... below $350? haha.

55-250 is great too=)

my budget... below $350? haha.

That can get you a 2nd hand 55-250mm IS, which you can consider when you feel 18-55 is too short for your needs. Till then, no harm sticking to the 18-55 and explore with it.

Get the kit lens with the camera first. That should allow you to explore your requirements. Most likely it will fit what you have stated above. If bokeh is something you like, the cheap 50mm f/1.8 II is a good portrait lens to add for crop body like 500D for under $100 2nd hand. There are a lot of people selling this lens since Canon bundle it with purchase with purchase.

Keep the 18-55, buy the 50/1.8 for less than 200.

If you are willing to spend more and have to have some zoom, sell the 18-55 and get the tamron 17-50/2.8 non-vr

Sorry if it has been posted many times. I tried to search many of them but dunno the price and capabilities.

I know its more of a general lens, some say u still can take great pictures with them.
I hear that i can get a gd price if i get the lens at the same time when i buy the camera. So i wanna make sure i know wad lens i want for myself.

Normally i like to take pictures of something from medium range like 2-3m to close, and like the bokeh when i take my friends or objects. Though i like landscapes too, but not so often. And zooming.. Unless i go to zoo, if not seldom zoom into people's face.. but seems like many in forum like to recommend >55-200mm lens. or some 17-200 or something.

Just wondering can kit lens take nice close ups or mid range with nice DOF effect? I know its a vague question. =(

I am really on tight budget. Any lens of this kind is at economical pricing? Price is most impt now....
yes, the kit lens EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS can take fine photos.......still.

and if you are keen to take close up shots, check this out.

yes, the kit lens EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS can take fine photos.......still.

haha ok. i feel assured with ur 'still'.

If you are willing to spend more and have to have some zoom, sell the 18-55 and get the tamron 17-50/2.8 non-vr

wads the diff btwn this and kitlens, cos the mm seem so close. then the non vr means... wad neh?

If bokeh is something you like, the cheap 50mm f/1.8 II is a good portrait lens to add for crop body like 500D for under $100 2nd hand.

wow below 100?? is canon brand or tamron? which is cheaper n perform ard the same?

Sorry if i sound funny cos i am typing by my handphone so abit rushy. :)

hoho85 said:
wads the diff btwn this and kitlens, cos the mm seem so close. then the non vr means... wad neh?

Kit lens is 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Tamron is 17-50mm f/2.8

The part in bold is the main difference. Try to search and see if you can find the answer.
Hint: search "constant aperture lenses"

wow below 100?? is canon brand or tamron? which is cheaper n perform ard the same?

Sorry if i sound funny cos i am typing by my handphone so abit rushy. :)

Canon 50mm f/1.8 is quite an affordable lens brand new. I believe it is in the low to mid 100s in price. So 2nd hand you might be able to find for < 100.

Last edited:

tight budget.. dont buy rent...:D

i bought Brand new 50f1.8 for $130 1 year ago leh.. hahah so where got mid 100$s? only buy if ~ $80-90 for a brand new 2nd hand piece since now got SOOO many pieces around as canon was handing out so many free pieces (with purchases la) last month.

just stick with the 500D + kit. now you ONLY THINK you need the other lengths, apertures lenses. The answer the justify that you only THink you need is it is because you don't really know whats the difference between the lenses and what each one can do for you (except zooming)

when you do know the difference between each lens, and you know that your Kit lens cannot produce what you want, then its time to upgrade.

yup that right. Thanks for the advice.

I wanted to know before i even bought it, because i dunno if it would be better (in terms of price), to buy the camera plus extra lens together at the point of purchase.
i saw on pixel peeker on 50mm f1.8, i think that is wad i want to achieve. so ya.. u know. ya.

But maybe u guys are right. try kitlens first before buying extra ones to my needs.

Last edited:
Hello!
The 18-55mm IS is a nice lens to start out with.
There is no need to buy any more lenses.
Just keep shooting and shooting until u reach the limits of what the lens can offer.
Might need to read about things like shutter speed / aperture size / ISO / focal lenght etc
Only if you need something more than 18-55mm can offer, do you really need to buy another lens.
By then you will have answered your own question on what lens to buy ;)

Happy Shooting !!!

yup..18-55mm IS is a nice lens to start out and always know what u want to shoot:)
then look for the lens and skill.

I'm not a canon user but I heard about the 75-300mm lens?
About $300.. I think.. :dunno:

Its not known to be a high performing lense, I'd rather go with the 55-250mm if I want a simlar range and price.

Its not known to be a high performing lense, I'd rather go with the 55-250mm if I want a simlar range and price.

55-200mm f4.5-5.6 costs around $200++ am i right?

and 50mm f1.8 has no image stabiliser? cost around $100+?

ok. I just read bad things abt service at alan photo.
Cos i have been looking at prices on their website. Tot of going there.

But now, guess i will turn to ms color. Good choice?

And my budget just had drastic changes. looks like i have to get eos 1000D...

buy what you need. If you require a 500D but buy a 1000D instead, its just a waste of money imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.