Abt CF cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerp

May 13, 2004
Hi all

Can anyone pls enlighten me if there is any moving parts on a CF card? or that is what they call microdrive? Microdrive and CF cards are 2 different products rite?

I heard that those big size card eg 1gb CF card got moving card.

For those big size or rather any CF card, how easy is it to be damage? Is it just big size card that is easy to be damage or even small size card which is also prone to damage?

Anyone?

Thanks.

Roger :)

CF cards basically stands for Compact Flash. These kinds do not have any moving parts in them. In fact, the insides of these cards contain RAM chips.

Microdrives are basically mini-harddisks. these contain spinning platters and a moving head (which accesses your data).

CF cards are more rugged, but can still be damaged.
CF cards come in sizes ranging from 8Mb to 8Gb (eg. 8Mb, 16Mb, 32Mb, 64Mb, 128Mb, 256Mb, 512Mb, 1Gb, etc)

Microdrives are more sensitive; you wouldn't want to drop these.
Microdrives comes in sizes ranging from 340Mb to 4Gb (eg. 340Mb, 1Gb, 4Gb)

:)

Adiemus said:
CF cards basically stands for Compact Flash. These kinds do not have any moving parts in them. In fact, the insides of these cards contain RAM chips.

Microdrives are basically mini-harddisks. these contain spinning platters and a moving head (which accesses your data).

CF cards are more rugged, but can still be damaged.
CF cards come in sizes ranging from 8Mb to 8Gb (eg. 8Mb, 16Mb, 32Mb, 64Mb, 128Mb, 256Mb, 512Mb, 1Gb, etc)

Microdrives are more sensitive; you wouldn't want to drop these.
Microdrives comes in sizes ranging from 340Mb to 4Gb (eg. 340Mb, 1Gb, 4Gb)

:)

so which rather means CF cards are better than microdrive?

rogerp said:
so which rather means CF cards are better than microdrive?

actually, its a trade-off. CF cards are the hardiest ard becos it can take a lot of abuse (within reason, like dropping on the floor) without failing. try doing dat with a MD (which is sometimes know as CF Type II) and u can kiss ur MD goodbye.

however, up to a certain point, the MD will be more value-for-money, in terms of megs per dollar. CF cards are usually quite value-for-money up to, say 1GB. after which, IMO, better to by a MD. u can do a price comparison at www.eastgear.com.

of course, CF cards' writing speeds are much faster than MDs. some maybe willing to pay more for this. some, like me, more inclined towards MD becos of the storage space rather than writing speeds. again, depends on wat u are shooting. if you more into action shots, CF is a good buy. if, like me more portraits, MD is a good buy becos i tend to shoot RAW.

cheers!

performance wise, yes.

$/MB wise, microdrive gives you cheaper $/MB eg. u can get 4GB microdrive at $400. that works out to be $0.098/MB
on the other hand, the cheapest 1GB CF Card today (eg hagiwara) is retailing at $300. that works out to be $0.29/MB

AFAIK that is the only advantage microdrive have over CF cards.

I read reports that microdrive may fail at altitude above 10,000 feet. slower speeds. Like Adiemus had pointed out, u betta dont drop your microdrive ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.