Abstract: Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

eel

Aug 14, 2003
Thomson
Visit site
Bench-abstract.jpg

Have I cropped it too tight? Would love to hear your critiques on this.

umm... yes, if it is cropped bench. The orange wooden texture is very nice but its hard to see that it's a bench. Or... it isnt a bench at all?

<--- confused...

Rev said:
umm... yes, if it is cropped bench. The orange wooden texture is very nice but its hard to see that it's a bench. Or... it isnt a bench at all?

<--- confused...

That's why it's called abstract mah. Aim to confuse! :bsmilie:

Anyway, the picture doesn't work for me too. Colour is too warm to convey anything. Furthemore, the picture focus on the split grains of the wood, yet wanted, and failed badly, to capture so much more at the same time. Err... emulating foxtwo's critic, my advice is this: KISS! :kiss:

p.s. KISS = Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Rev: The_Cheat is right. I use 'Abstract' when I don't know what to term it lah:embrass: Maybe I should call it study in lines or something...:dunno:

The_Cheat: When you say colour too warm, I'm not sure what you mean. Can elaborate a bit more? As for the grain, do you mean either to get it all in focus or process it so it doesn't become the a distracting element. Basically, to KISS, how dow I KISS?:dunno:

eel said:
Rev: The_Cheat is right. I use 'Abstract' when I don't know what to term it lah:embrass: Maybe I should call it study in lines or something...:dunno:

The_Cheat: When you say colour too warm, I'm not sure what you mean. Can elaborate a bit more? As for the grain, do you mean either to get it all in focus or process it so it doesn't become the a distracting element. Basically, to KISS, how dow I KISS?:dunno:

Warm as in orange colour lah. I was never schooled in the whole visual art thingie, neither and I schooled in photography, so I can't possibly give you a good explanation of what this warm thing is. But mostly, some colours are associated with one's psychology. And mostly bright and yellowish colours then to give a pleasant or optimistic feel. That doesn't work in abstract mostly, for abstract usually tickle's one's thought, which could be pleasant, but mostly grim and more serious... there's no rules here! but do try to change the colour on PS, and see what each colour will result in terms of your thinking and feeling.

KISS? In essay, we usually do it with a ruler and pencil... i.e. STRIKEOUT!
In photographs, we use a ruler and pen-knife... i.e. CROP!! Try cropping it one-third from the top... that one-third should be interesting enough by itself... conversely, can try cropping one-third from the left. that one-third would also be interesting...

The_Cheat said:
KISS? In essay, we usually do it with a ruler and pencil... i.e. STRIKEOUT!
In photographs, we use a ruler and pen-knife... i.e. CROP!! Try cropping it one-third from the top... that one-third should be interesting enough by itself... conversely, can try cropping one-third from the left. that one-third would also be interesting...

Ok, I'll bear the colour/psychology thing in mind. Also the cropping feedback is particularly useful and something I can work on. Thanks for that!:)

eel said:
oic... then the cropping is actually ok if it's an abstract of a bench to emphasize something that vaguely resemble part of a bench. The diagonal lines & texture (diagonal wooden splinters) are quite interesting. To improve further, maybe uncrop the sides to show more of the diagonal planks or reshoot or crop the bottom 1/3rd (showing little or none of the ground), not to KISS, but to bring out the planks more.

The_Cheat said:
That's why it's called abstract mah. Aim to confuse!
Didnt know you're an expert =P

So what do you call what you shoot in your APAD?

This "rubbish" type of shooting...how does one go about it? Is it very difficult? What makes a successful "rubbish" shot? I'm keen to learn leh:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.