Absolute newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterpeep

May 11, 2009
Hi everyone, as the welcome message says, why not post a hello here, so here I am.

I am an absolute newbie raring to move on to a dslr (yes, I am still on a compact, and an old one to be exact Kodak CX7430)

I was encouraged to join after reading some threads from the forum which I found to be helpful, fun, as well as out of the ordinary but totally interesting.

As of now, I am looking into getting a Nikon D40 as I prefer the conservative approach in getting into this hobby. But I am open to all your ideas on this.

With that said, I wish you all a great time and aside from learning, I hope to be able to contribute soon! ;)

Welcome!

I'd say that you should make sure you research all the brands first before deciding on a system. Know the strengths and weaknesses, and make sure you test the camera and are happy for the ergonomics.

For example, the D40 is "only" 6MP (fairly old tech), has no in-body focus motor (you need to buy lenses with a built-in motor for autofocusing), and has only 3 focus points. Similar-priced cameras from Olympus, Pentax, Sony and Canon offer more.

Thanks Rashkae. I surely will research more. D40 is on the top of the list because of the budget as well as too much reading of Ken Rockwell I guess. I appreciate your input.

Thanks Rashkae. I surely will research more. D40 is on the top of the list because of the budget as well as too much reading of Ken Rockwell I guess. I appreciate your input.

Ken Rockwell is not undisputed, get alternative opinions as well to balance your view. Conservative is ok but as mentioned: you get some limitations for that price. Your first system should be open to grow, it's like the foundation of a house.

Thanks Octarine. I guess I should not forget the "room to grow" factor.

Hi and welcome to CS

there are many entry level camera from all the brands and all of them are capable
but as mentioned above, take your time and research the system

the most important thing is that once you have made a decision spend time knowing the camera, it's limitations and capabilities. And go out and enjoy yourself shooting.

Only the image matters. :)

Welcome to CS...

plenty of choices available, including second hand cameras. But I'd say that you start slow and upgrade progressively.... :)

do ask yourself at least the following questions before you embark on this DSLR journey:

1) How much am I willing to spend on this hobby in the next 3 years?
2) Is the size/weight of the camera an imporant factor?
3) What will I likely be photographing over the next few years? Holiday snaps? Paid assignments?

and then go and try out some of the different brands (Nikon/Canon/Sony/Olympus/Pentax/Panasonic, etc) to see how they feel in your hands, and whether you find it easy to operate the basic functions. A good store to try is Courts megastore in Tampines. Sony has showrooms across the island.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. :)

I'm glad to have joined. Looking forward to shooting with you all one day!

Welcome, 欢迎光临, Selamat datang, सलाम(wahnagam):devil:

D40 is a great entry cam other than D60, if budget allows. Both great for starters. Time to bury the PnS, and one suggestion, once you get your DSLR, blanko the 'Auto' mode so you'll use PSAM, OK:thumbsup:

Welcome to CS,

Haha, as mentioned by others do some research on the various brands before coming to a decision. At the same time, head down to the shops and have a feel of the cams 1st.

Well, on ur current suggestion i would suggest instead a D40x, which is more updated in terms of technology. So yup, enjoy your stay here at CS :)

Cowz.

Hi! Welcome to CS!!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.