I am new to ND and GND stuff.

After some research, I think I am getting the following:

1 X Filter Holder
1 X Filter Ring (52mm for my kit lens)
1 X ND4
1 X ND8
1 X GND or 2 X GND???

Here are some questions:

1) I am not sure if I should get one or two GND. I heard that GND is ND4 by default. To get GND8, I have to stack two ND4 GND. Is that recommended? Or do you normally use only one GND?

2) Is the above combination enough for a beginner? What else should I consider getting? Should I get more ND4? (if it gets dirty easily)

Thanks~~

Good setup to start with. You might want to consider a sunset GND, you still a option to create a nicer sunset if the sunset do not turn out the way that you expected. I had two GND, one for backup since I use the GND very often. The material of the filter is soft. Depend your style of shooting, some might need ND4 and 8 with tripod for long expo shoots.

Cheers!

Hi

Here are some questions:

1) I am not sure if I should get one or two GND. I heard that GND is ND4 by default. To get GND8, I have to stack two ND4 GND. Is that recommended? Or do you normally use only one GND?

2) Is the above combination enough for a beginner? What else should I consider getting? Should I get more ND4? (if it gets dirty easily)

Thanks~~

Err, sorry but where did you hear the news that GND is ND4? Cause GND and ND4 are 2 different filter. Also it is not advisable to stack ND filters as there are chances that you might get a color cast in your photo.

What he meant was probably that the darkest area on GND is equivalent to an ND4.

Just guessing.

Cheers!

Im using only ND8. If too dark, increase the EV. Still toying around with filters.

Not sure about 'darkness' value of a GND...but it seems there are different shade of darkness even for GND.

The better is that you purchase Cokin P filters sets instead of tian ya's.. Good setup instead.. Full ND 4 & 8 / GND 4 & 8 / CPL/ Gradual sunset / Soft filter. etc.. Should be enough for you as a beginner.. Maybe you can purchase some accessories from Cokin like Filter hood, Wide angle holder, pouch for carriage. etc.. Cokin is a very good type of filter system.

p/s: I'm formerly a Tian Ya square filter user. Now switch completely to Cokin P Series. Do not waste your money to invest something that is not worth it, then at the end you may need to upgrade to a better one... I'm a good example.. Wasted almost 200 Bucks for Tian Ya's filter.

The better is that you purchase Cokin P filters sets instead of tian ya's.. Good setup instead.. Full ND 4 & 8 / GND 4 & 8 / CPL/ Gradual sunset / Soft filter. etc.. Should be enough for you as a beginner.. Maybe you can purchase some accessories from Cokin like Filter hood, Wide angle holder, pouch for carriage. etc.. Cokin is a very good type of filter system.

p/s: I'm formerly a Tian Ya square filter user. Now switch completely to Cokin P Series. Do not waste your money to invest something that is not worth it, then at the end you may need to upgrade to a better one... I'm a good example.. Wasted almost 200 Bucks for Tian Ya's filter.

I have not used Tianya filters before.. but what difference do you see when compared to the Cokin ones?

i do not like cokin's filters.

i have had used p series before, i found that their gnd filters tends to exhibit a yellowish cast which is a pain in the arse to correct in post. i'm not the only person who prefers tianya over cokin, hazmee is another guy here who has written about this before.

i do agree that the quality of the cokin filter holders are much better than that for tianya.

Good setup to start with. You might want to consider a sunset GND, you still a option to create a nicer sunset if the sunset do not turn out the way that you expected. I had two GND, one for backup since I use the GND very often. The material of the filter is soft. Depend your style of shooting, some might need ND4 and 8 with tripod for long expo shoots.

Cheers!

ok. I will consider one. Haha. Thanks~~

Err, sorry but where did you hear the news that GND is ND4? Cause GND and ND4 are 2 different filter. Also it is not advisable to stack ND filters as there are chances that you might get a color cast in your photo.

One of the mass sellers wrote me when this statement, "The graduated ND is a ND4 (top half) actually", when I queried if I need to stack GND with ND4 to get "GND4".

i have had used p series before, i found that their gnd filters tends to exhibit a yellowish cast which is a pain in the arse to correct in post. i'm not the only person who prefers tianya over cokin, hazmee is another guy here who has written about this before.

i do agree that the quality of the cokin filter holders are much better than that for tianya.

I have read the "Hazmee" thread and how he mentioned about the expensive price of the Lee filters.

night86mare, do you suggest I get the sunset GND? And do you think the setup above is ok for a beginner? Haha. I know you have been taking landscape for a long time :D

Thanks~~

i don't think you need sunset gnd.

people who suggest sunset gnd are probably not aware that you can easily pp in the colour using gradient tool + layers in photoshop, and achieve more pleasing results.

One of the mass sellers wrote me when this statement, "The graduated ND is a ND4 (top half) actually", when I queried if I need to stack GND with ND4 to get "GND4".

Errr, older and most screw on GND filters are spilt into half, top half black and bottom half clear. The GND filters from tianya or cokin are top black and bottom clear, but it is graduately getting lighter till somewhere near middle where it became clear. So I think that you mistaken about ND and GND filters alot. Go down to any shop selling tianya or cokin filter and you understand what I mean better.

Thanks for that relevation night86mare!

For members who are always pursuing the best, I think this statement(s) will floor them definitely.

Cheers!

At one point I own both Cokin's GND2, GND4, ND4, ND8 and Tianya's GND. From the looks of it, Tianya's GND is closer to GND8 than GND4.

As for the holder, you should consider getting the Cokin P holder instead of the Tianya one. Price difference is not much, and the Cokin one is much much better than the Tianya holder. If you shoot with UWA, you will need a Cokin P wide angle holder. If wider than 12mm (on x1.5 crop), you need to go to 100mm filters.

For landscape, you will probably do well with with ND4, ND8, GND. Enough for most purposes. If you need slightly more control, you can get a Cokin GND4.

Last edited:
At one point I own both Cokin's GND2, GND4, ND4, ND8 and Tianya's GND. From the looks of it, Tianya's GND is closer to GND8 than GND4.

As for the holder, you should consider getting the Cokin P holder instead of the Tianya one. Price difference is not much, and the Cokin one is much much better than the Tianya holder. If you shoot with UWA, you will need a Cokin P wide angle holder. If wider than 12mm (on x1.5 crop), you need to go to 100mm filters.

For landscape, you will probably do well with with ND4, ND8, GND. Enough for most purposes. If you need slightly more control, you can get a Cokin GND4.

:thumbsup: fully agree , i hold it with my hand without the holder when on the move during travel. GND 2stop is use more offen, I use Cokin and i ever drop it from 3rd floor hotel window while taking a shot, kekeke heng didnt break.:sweat:

Tianya???? Stay away from their ND filters!!! You have been warned!

Tianya_filter_cast.jpg

Its supposed to be neutral. Now it looks like a red filter. :ipuke:

Tianya_filter_cast.jpg

Its supposed to be neutral. Now it looks like a red filter. :ipuke:

u just save me $12... i still thought of buying their 3 stop nd....

Ermm... so cokin filters give yellow cast, tianya gives red cast, and so we should all save up for expensive Lee/Singh Ray filters? :dunno:

Ermm... so cokin filters give yellow cast, tianya gives red cast, and so we should all save up for expensive Lee/Singh Ray filters? :dunno:
It all depends on your tolerance for quality, price and expectations. Hope that helps.