About the Tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8 atx pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruitybix

Nov 1, 2002
West
Visit site
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone has used this lens, and what you think about it. thanks for any input.

There is also the ATX Pro II version, how does that work, better than the ATX Pro? Thanks!!

:)

thanks!

I have read the user reviews, so am trying to get more feel from this forum before i commit.

I understand this lens is not compatible with Type A canon cameras, and can work only with the older Type B models. I think this is true judging from another user.

How about the AF/MF? Understand that is a drag sometimes because switching from one to the other is not via a button switch. :)

Originally posted by fruitybix
thanks!

I have read the user reviews, so am trying to get more feel from this forum before i commit.

I understand this lens is not compatible with Type A canon cameras, and can work only with the older Type B models. I think this is true judging from another user.

How about the AF/MF? Understand that is a drag sometimes because switching from one to the other is not via a button switch. :)

Not familiar with Canon systems. ;p

The AF/MF thing is indeed troublesome. You basically gotta use the push/pull clutch to switch as well as to use the switch on Nikon bodies. Not sure of the implementation on Canon systems.

Regards
CK

apparently it is the same for the canon mount. sounds like a inconvenience, but the optics sounds good from the user feedback.. anyway, thanks a bunch!!

Originally posted by markccm
How about the Sigma EX series of similar specs to the Tokina we have been talking about?

The f2.8? Yes that is another one i am considering, except that i am really now in a little fix, using a Type B body (EOS 5) with the intent of upgrading to a DSLR (but not right away..hehehe). So some of these third party lens may not be compatible then.

Well, will just have to shoot first, and ask questions later :)

Originally posted by markccm
How about the Sigma EX series of similar specs to the Tokina we have been talking about?

Tokina is generally more well built. Sigma ones (24-70EXDG in particular) tend to be slower and noisier. At least on the sample I tried - it even have a rather stiff zoom ring.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Tokina is generally more well built. Sigma ones (24-70EXDG in particular) tend to be slower and noisier. At least on the sample I tried - it even have a rather stiff zoom ring.

Regards
CK

Yes, that noise during focusing is farely audible, and together with stiff zoom rings, both seem to be sigma traits, but they may therefore have less zoom creep..? Of course the 28-70 ATX Pro is internal focusing (which i like), so no problem with that..

Mark, is the sigma internal focusing too?

yep, the original 2.6-2.8 won't work on type A cameras.

y dun u consider an older 28-80 L? theres one at TCW, and no! that not mine there for sale!! hahahaha!
;)

also agree that sigmas are generally not as well built as the tokinas...

Originally posted by fruitybix
Yes, that noise during focusing is farely audible, and together with stiff zoom rings, both seem to be sigma traits, but they may therefore have less zoom creep..? Of course the 28-70 ATX Pro is internal focusing (which i like), so no problem with that..

Mark, is the sigma internal focusing too?
Yes. Its internal focusing. It maybe nosier, but if I remember correctly, the auto focus of Sigma is faster than the Tokina.

Also, the Sigma goes all the way to F32, the Tokina, F22.
The min focusing dist is lesser on the Sigma. Meaning the Sigma can go closer to the subject.
The min dist stated on the manual or in reviews is not true. The Sigma can surely go less than wat is stated & its much nearer as compared to the Tokina. ;)

Originally posted by GitS
yep, the original 2.6-2.8 won't work on type A cameras.

y dun u consider an older 28-80 L? theres one at TCW, and no! that not mine there for sale!! hahahaha!
;)

also agree that sigmas are generally not as well built as the tokinas...

28-80L ? there is such a lens? you refer to the 24-70L.. ?nearly got me there..

no, the 24-70 is the NEWEST, the 28-70 is 1 generation ago (i have it) and the 28-80 came before the 28-70.:gbounce:

Originally posted by GitS
no, the 24-70 is the NEWEST, the 28-70 is 1 generation ago (i have it) and the 28-80 came before the 28-70.:gbounce:

Cant seem to find it at the Canon website. I guess they only have the newer stuff. :) so from you said, this 28-80 was 3 generations ago of L lens? Before the 28-70, and then the 24-70?

hmm, so how is the optics for the 28-80? Is that similar to the newer lens?

btw, the 28-80L is f/2.8-4.0, not constant 2.8...

i think munfai is rite,...anyway fruitybix, go checkout www.photographyreview.com, under the zoom lens reviews section...there should be some reviews there...

am there already, thanks mate. By the way, this 28-80 L will work with both type A and B canon cameras? Thanks!

yes, its an EF lens.....

Status
Not open for further replies.