About the 350D kit lense

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayDream

Nov 12, 2005
Hi, I'm new to SLR photography, so please correct me if I say anything wrong or use any terms wrong here...

I have a 18-55mm kit lense with my 350D. I've realise the lense cannot focus object further than about 2 meters away. This make it almost impossible to take scenary, and I can only take closeup portrait with it. In another words it cannot set focus to infinity.

Is it suppose to be like that? Or other wide angle lense can do a better job? What should I get if I want a replacement? Does the new Sigma 17-70mm make it a good replacement, that cover all the ranges it can offer?

Sorry for my poor English, hope you can understand. Appreciate any opinions and helps.
Witono

Why can't you focus at infinity? You need to explain in detail.

Brother, you can go down to Canon Digital Media Hub at Bugis to look for Walter. He will assist you to find out why you can't focus at infinity. :)

Arg great... so there is some problem with my kit lense afterall? Thanks brother, will look for him.

n0d3... even if I switch to manual focus. When I play with the ring that you can turn to adjust focus, I cannot get a point where focus to infinity is. The furthest I can go is a short distance away.

Thanks.
Witono

RayDream said:
Arg great... so there is some problem with my kit lense afterall? Thanks brother, will look for him.

n0d3... even if I switch to manual focus. When I play with the ring that you can turn to adjust focus, I cannot get a point where focus to infinity is. The furthest I can go is a short distance away.

Thanks.
Witono

omg...tat means u turn the whole ring left and right, and u still cant focus at infinity?! i think theres really something wrong with the lens

Why don't you try AF and see whether it locks on? The problem with the kit lens is that theres no distance scale for you to tell whether its at infinity or not. Are you wearing glasses? Might have to adjust the diopter.

RayDream said:
I have a 18-55mm kit lense with my 350D. I've realise the lense cannot focus object further than about 2 meters away. This make it almost impossible to take scenary, ...........

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: cant be.. something is wrong.. hav u upload images to ur pc to check if it's focus..? it must be the lense..

Status
Not open for further replies.