About stock photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

laughingstation

Jan 23, 2004
Hi all, i'm just wondering if selling stock photos will be a good source of income for serious amerture photographers. Is there any stock photo websites tt you wld like to recommend? thanx

laughingstation said:
Hi all, i'm just wondering if selling stock photos will be a good source of income for serious amerture photographers. Is there any stock photo websites tt you wld like to recommend? thanx

Have a read at these 2 threads ... there has been some discussions here in CS about stock photos and stock agencies already ....

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=163834
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=172404

Hope they help ....

RGDs

laughingstation said:
thank very much dude:)
I have said this in a previous post, hope it helps:

Hey, im doing a bit of stock photography and i mostly use RF (royalty free), all the RF sites can be used with the same pics, the biggest and best probably are:

ShutterStock
iStock
Fotolia
Dreamstime
CanStock
123 Royalty Free
Big Stock

But be prepared, if you are serious about sticking with stock, it has the ability to take up alot of time, for example keywording uploading and submiting say 100 images from a days shoot could take basically around 4 hours on the computer, depending on internet speed etc etc

Hope this helps, and good luck in Stock!

wildstallion thx load for your help. Right now i have some questions in mind, wonder if you mind helping me out with it.

Shutterstock will send cheques to me even if i'm in singapore? will it be valid here?
they require a minimum of 2.5 mb. is this guideline follow strickly because some of my photos do not have such a high resolution.

once again thank you

laughingstation said:
wildstallion thx load for your help. Right now i have some questions in mind, wonder if you mind helping me out with it.

Shutterstock will send cheques to me even if i'm in singapore? will it be valid here?
they require a minimum of 2.5 mb. is this guideline follow strickly because some of my photos do not have such a high resolution.

once again thank you

Shutterstock one of my favourite stock sites, they will send you a check and it is valid in singapore, or they can transfer money to a paypal account if you have one, i would recomend using the paypal option. There is generally no minimum filesize the 2.5 you are reffering to is MegaPixels which must be above 2.5 otherwise they will not be accepted. So this 2.5 MP value has to be strickly followed no going around it. Its the same and even higher for other sites.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions and queries feel free to ask.

I have received my first $$$ from shutterstock through PayPal two months ago at US$76.xx :)

They are genuine and they works :D

I'm selling at shutterstock and istock. It takes some patients to get to a decent income from selling stock photos, but it can be done. You'll have to build up a good size portfolio of photos that sell. I would recommend going to a stock site and looking for the most frequently downloaded photos to give you an idea of what to shoot. Just for reference: I have 210 photos on one site and 70 on another and only make about US$30/month. :think: That being said, there a some that make US$1.5k a month and more. :bigeyes:

if we have uploaded our pic to those website, will we still be able to use our pic for own publication? or photography contest? do we still have the rights to own those pic?

LENS said:
if we have uploaded our pic to those website, will we still be able to use our pic for own publication? or photography contest? do we still have the rights to own those pic?

you can still use the pics wherever you want...but some competition rules stated that you must not have published/used the submitted photo elsewhere...

most of my pics just rest in peace in my PC hdd...and sank...so it is better to make them worth some value and be used/appreciated by others :)

shutterstock is getting tougher nowadays... :angry:

hi wildstallion, i don't really understand how royalty free photos work. why would you want to post your photos on RF sites. Those this mean ppl can just use your photos for free?
how do you generate income from RF sites?

thanks!

yanyewkay said:
hi wildstallion, i don't really understand how royalty free photos work. why would you want to post your photos on RF sites. Those this mean ppl can just use your photos for free?
how do you generate income from RF sites?

thanks!

royalty free doesn't mean they get free photos, i think you have misunderstood

royalty free simply means that

An initial fee is paid for the purchase of the online images and the purchaser may use the image(s) as often as required within the license terms and conditions without paying for the use of the image each time the image is used.

Also note that the purchase of the image(s) does not offer unlimited or unrestricted use of the image(s). Most distributors have very specific limitations on how the images can be used, placed online electronically, or reprinted.

Hope this helps to clear things up

jacob said:
can i send one same photo to all the stock photo agencies?

Hi I have been selling stock images for a photo library here and I just want to alert you that you should check your contract before handing the same images to another agency.

I have not come across any agency that allows that. You may work with different stock agencies BUT your images must be exclusive.

Cheers
Linda

lashlyn said:
Hi I have been selling stock images for a photo library here and I just want to alert you that you should check your contract before handing the same images to another agency.

I have not come across any agency that allows that. You may work with different stock agencies BUT your images must be exclusive.

Cheers
Linda

I think there is a trend for agencies to relaxe exclusive contract to attract the cream of stock photographers.

Masterfile, a highly regarded international agency has relaxed its exclusive demand. Workbook has gone to non-exclusive contract too.

However some agencies only need regional exclusive contract e.g. after some negotiations an agency in Sydney is cool as long as I don't send the same photos to another agency in Auatralia but I can send the same photos to any other part of the world.

One thing all contracts are opened to negotiations. They depend on how much the agency wants your images and the cut in selling them for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.