About Speedlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesleytjq

Apr 10, 2008
Choa Chu Kang
weztimonial.wordpress.com
I've just taken up photography not long ago, still a newbie though.
Is the Speedlight really needed? I'm more into portraits shots.
Still a student, so got to consider properly.
I've read up and i see that speedlights are really useful.

welcome to photography!
some will tell u it's needed, some will not.
depends on how u like to light up your subject.
there are photographers who only like to take portraits using available ambience lighting, and some who like to use the sunlight with reflectors, and there are those who love the use of flash (some strobist as well).
try to search for some images taken by the different methods and see which kind u prefer, and decide if u wan to get a flash.
another best way would be if u have a fren who owns a flash, u can borrow from him and test if u like it.

For me, flash will provide catchlight where in some instance ambience light is unable to do so.

Very frankly, NO.

Learn about the quality and characteristics of light first and you will know why, and also that you can use TONS of foc things as a reflector if you need a source of fill light.

Not only will you save the $$$, but you might also have a better understanding of light.

I usually mount my speedlite during portraits/model shoots as a standard but only use it when sunlight is not available when used with a reflector. U can also try to bounce light off a reflector using wireless trigger of your speedlite and results can be stunning.

I feel it's not needed all the time but can be very useful when ambient light is not available.

Status
Not open for further replies.