About Sigma EF500 Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweek

Jan 17, 2002
East
www.weekai.com
Hi, anyone has experience with the above flash?

Does the flash (canon mount) come with an auto mode (as in setting ISO and aperture manually on the flash)? I understand that Canon's speedlite flashes can only do TTL or E-TTL, but how about this Sigma flash? I'm thinking of using it for both my Canon EOS 300 and my Fuji s602z. Will appreciate any answers, thanks!

i believe that you can manually set the settings of the flash, unlike 420EX.

Originally posted by Klause
i believe that you can manually set the settings of the flash, unlike 420EX.

thanks klause, have you tried it personally?

Originally posted by Tweek
Hi, anyone has experience with the above flash?

Does the flash (canon mount) come with an auto mode (as in setting ISO and aperture manually on the flash)? I understand that Canon's speedlite flashes can only do TTL or E-TTL, but how about this Sigma flash? I'm thinking of using it for both my Canon EOS 300 and my Fuji s602z. Will appreciate any answers, thanks!

Have not tried the Sigma flash before, but if the connector pins of it are exactly the same as Canon 420EX's, then you may have difficulty mounting it on 602's hotshoe. Tried mounting mega's 420EX on my 602, not only am I unable to mount it on the 602's hotshoe, I ended up scratching the hotshoe a little. :(

Originally posted by azone

Have not tried the Sigma flash before, but if the connector pins of it are exactly the same as Canon 420EX's, then you may have difficulty mounting it on 602's hotshoe. Tried mounting mega's 420EX on my 602, not only am I unable to mount it on the 602's hotshoe, I ended up scratching the hotshoe a little. :(

oh yah, I overlooked that. Hmmm ok never mind lah I'm getting it for the EOS 300 anyway, so if cannot mount on s602z then LL lor. :D Thanks azone!

I'm using it. It not a bad flash if it not used on the Canon Digital bodies.... so far, I've experienced faults when use on the D30. It sometime will not fire off and I have to switch the flash off then on again to solve the problem. No problem so far with my EOS 300. On Canon DC, it loses it E-TTL functions and you need to set the setting yourself. Oso, I used it b4 on my Fuji 6900 and on it, you can only use the manual mode to set the setting.

All talk is no good. If you really want to find out abt it, I think the best is that you come out and meet mi and I'll let you try out the flash. ;)

Maybe this coming SEED? or if there is any shooting over the weekend?

thanks BS, greatly appreciate it. :) I'm getting the flash from mylau this weekend, mainly for my EOS300, but I thought it will be an added bonus if I can use it on the s602z too. Just have to find a way to reduce the scratches made by the pins. :)

btw, you mentioned on your 6900z, have to resort to manual settings. Manual as in, full blast and we have to calculate aperture and working distance for the camera, or we can set the ISO and aperture on the flash and the sensor will automatically regulate the flash output?

Originally posted by Tweek
thanks BS, greatly appreciate it. :) I'm getting the flash from mylau this weekend, mainly for my EOS300, but I thought it will be an added bonus if I can use it on the s602z too. Just have to find a way to reduce the scratches made by the pins. :)

btw, you mentioned on your 6900z, have to resort to manual settings. Manual as in, full blast and we have to calculate aperture and working distance for the camera, or we can set the ISO and aperture on the flash and the sensor will automatically regulate the flash output?
No worry.. the thing work great on the EOS 300. The only thing bad is the fast sync flash. You need to constantly on it once the shuter fall below the x-sync speed. A headache if you are shooting in a place that is ard the x-sync speed.

Yes I did used it on the 6900(slight mod to the DC) and only manual setting as there is no way the DC can com with the flash. but it work. Since it is a DC, just shoot one and then do a calculation lor. The meter setting on the flash will be a great help in this case.

Originally posted by Bluestrike

Yes I did used it on the 6900(slight mod to the DC) and only manual setting as there is no way the DC can com with the flash. but it work. Since it is a DC, just shoot one and then do a calculation lor. The meter setting on the flash will be a great help in this case.

is there an auto mode on the flash? if there's one like Vivitar 285HV, then it would be more useful for the S602Z....

Originally posted by mpenza

is there an auto mode on the flash? if there's one like Vivitar 285HV, then it would be more useful for the S602Z....
not sure what the auto mode does but no I don't think that I used that when on the 6900.

Status
Not open for further replies.