About shooting at hyperfocal

MechaEd

Jan 26, 2012
Ring of Fire
I've been using DOF master to calculate hyperfocal and sometimes, the results show for example 0.31m. Is it advisable to round down (0.3m) or round up (0.4m) on the distance scale of the lens? Or do we need to be precise about it ie. get as close to 0.31m as possible?

I've been using DOF master to calculate hyperfocal and sometimes, the results show for example 0.31m. Is it advisable to round down (0.3m) or round up (0.4m) on the distance scale of the lens? Or do we need to be precise about it ie. get as close to 0.31m as possible?

Unless you physically measure the distance with a tape, you've to estimate where 0.31m is. Just adjust focus a little bit further the distance than the "minimum"

Think again where this point is located on the straight line from your camera to infinity. (Some DOF websites and apps use pictures to describe the concept.)
Now, what will happen to the sharpness of the subject if you move the hyperfocal distance point further towards it or if you use a point closer to the cam?

Think again where this point is located on the straight line from your camera to infinity. (Some DOF websites and apps use pictures to describe the concept.)
Now, what will happen to the sharpness of the subject if you move the hyperfocal distance point further towards it or if you use a point closer to the cam?

Hyperfocal distance will work further away. So if you are not sure, just focus on a spot further away than the calculated hyperfocal distance, and everything from at least half of the distance of that spot to infinity will be in focus. But if the focus distance is less than the hyperfocal distance, it will not work.

You can read more here. With examples too.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/ttla...-to-using-hyperfocal-distance/290430854429068