about NIKON CLS

garbled

Dec 4, 2009
Was into strobing for some time and wanted to purchase another sbxxx flash for a 2 flash photography.

My question is, if I use the sb900 sa master off the camera controlled by a manual radio trigger like strato. Can I use it to trigger the other flash running on slave mode? Or I need to buy another receiver?

Will I expect delays or inaccurate trigger on bright outdoor shoots?

Thanks.

You need one set of Strato (transmitter + receiver) to have one light strobist setup.
If you introduce a second Nikon speedlight, you need to use another receiver.
Unless the flash you use have an optical slave trigger then you don't need the second receiver.

Nikon CLS system can be triggered by available cameras only (like D7000, D300s & above). That's one alternative way to use 2 Nikon Speedlights without any radio trigger.

wmayeo said:
You need one set of Strato (transmitter + receiver) to have one light strobist setup.
If you introduce a second Nikon speedlight, you need to use another receiver.
Unless the flash you use have an optical slave trigger then you don't need the second receiver.

Nikon CLS system can be triggered by available cameras only (like D7000, D300s & above). That's one alternative way to use 2 Nikon Speedlights without any radio trigger.

At least one of the speedlights must have commander mode to do this. Such as SB800, 900, 700 & Nissin Di866.

Thanks for replying, I followed your advice I bought an extra receiver and got last night my extra flash. Cheers.

Agree with the other Bro that it's recommended to buy another receiver. As for outdoor shoot, that Nikon CLS is not so reliable LOL.

Bro Garbled, have you puchased the Strato ?
Now the new model has arrived, Phottix Strato II Multi 5-in-1 Wireless Trigger. And it's said to be compatible with the old version :)

Yes, I'm using strato 2 set and just bought am extra receiver.

The strato 2 are confirm backwards compatible with strato 1. You can use the old/new strato rec/tran to rec/tran old/new strato.

Saw last week tkfoto selling strato1 with tran/rec with extra rec for 109 or something. They probably still have it till now. ;-)

I use SB900 in commander mode, and my off camera SB800 mounted in my tripod in slave mode.
It works, but because the arrangement of the infra-red window, in outdoor conditions where there are no near walls to reflect, the SB800 must always be on the right to the SB900. I suppose this can be circumvent using a small reflector, but it's too troublesome to setup which I have attempted. I reckon a simple card, or a white diffuse card will do the job.

Was into strobing for some time and wanted to purchase another sbxxx flash for a 2 flash photography.

My question is, if I use the sb900 sa master off the camera controlled by a manual radio trigger like strato. Can I use it to trigger the other flash running on slave mode? Or I need to buy another receiver?

Will I expect delays or inaccurate trigger on bright outdoor shoots?

Thanks.

David Kwok said:
I use SB900 in commander mode, and my off camera SB800 mounted in my tripod in slave mode.
It works, but because the arrangement of the infra-red window, in outdoor conditions where there are no near walls to reflect, the SB800 must always be on the right to the SB900. I suppose this can be circumvent using a small reflector, but it's too troublesome to setup which I have attempted. I reckon a simple card, or a white diffuse card will do the job.

Alternatively, u can turn ur flash head 180 degrees to angle the IR receiver in LOS to the commander. Not sure if sb800 has 360 degree coverage though..

Most of the time my AWL setup works correctly if I set up the IR receiver correctly. But there were times where the slave failed to fire when used as kicker backlight, when it was placed very near to the model and the receiver is blocked. It fired once I put it further back.

Alternatively, u can turn ur flash head 180 degrees to angle the IR receiver in LOS to the commander. Not sure if sb800 has 360 degree coverage though..

It has 360 degree coverage only if you are shooting at small indoor location, because the radio wave will bounce over the ceiling, wall, and floor.