About Metering

Status
Not open for further replies.

freebsdntu

Jun 28, 2007
NTU hostel
Hi guys, I always like to use spot metering, but from the results, it has been proven that I don't know how to do the metering well.
So my question is do I still need to compensate if I use spot metering? Let's suppose a scenario, although it is not happening.;)

Scenario:
I am shooting a very beautiful and sexy girl OUTDOORS;), I use spot metering to meter off her forehead, do I need to do further compensation? Would it be dependent on the lighting condition or the direction of sunlight?
BTW, I am using EOS5 and fujifilm if that matters.
Thank you very much!

Dude...

this all depends on the light condition. We can't tell you how much to compensate or which direction to... If you're not sure, use the matrix metering mode or central weighted... they are safer.

For spot metering, you need to find the middle zone for the whole scene or you will get over-exposed or under-exposed zones

Why u shoot a sexy girl but meter on HIS forehead

Why u shoot a sexy girl but meter on HIS forehead

Then where else do you meter off? I don't know, I have so far tried very few on portraiture, and forehead and face are the two places I would meter off.

Dude...

this all depends on the light condition. We can't tell you how much to compensate or which direction to... If you're not sure, use the matrix metering mode or central weighted... they are safer.

For spot metering, you need to find the middle zone for the whole scene or you will get over-exposed or under-exposed zones
Isn't the middle zone supposed to be somewhere in the face?

Ok, let us put it this way. What metering mode and exposure compensation do you guys use when doing portraiture?

noob here but i guess very much depends on the lighting condition at that moment and what kind of exposure u want. using matrix would be an easier solution although it can be inconsistent as well.

For a dark-skinned model, you would probably need to compensate under, for a fair-skinned model, may need to compensate over. May be better metering on a grey card, would be more consistent.

theoretically you are correct, you place your shemale "model" forehead as mid tone, aka zone V, aka zone Five, your "model" will be exposed correctly.

but if you are shooting your "model" under a shade, and the background is the sky, of course the background will be overexposed badly, this has nothing to do about metering, and you can't have any compensate of exposure without affecting the exposure on your "model".

Then where else do you meter off? I don't know, I have so far tried very few on portraiture, and forehead and face are the two places I would meter off.

Get them to wear outfits with 18% grey in them, so it makes your job easier. ;p

Usually spot metering is used only by people who are into the Zone System. Meter to check important highlights and shadows, meter the midtones and work out the correct exposure to use that allows you to preserve the highlights and shadows considering the tonal/dynamic range you have available.

as your model stand in front of a mid tone gray wall as background also will help you on exposure setting.

Nonono!! Big mistake.. the lighting may be different!! ;p

theoretically you are correct, you place your shemale "model" forehead as mid tone, aka zone V, aka zone Five, your "model" will be exposed correctly.

but if you are shooting your "model" under a shade, and the background is the sky, of course the background will be overexposed badly, this has nothing to do about metering, and you can't have any compensate of exposure without affecting the exposure on your "model".
If your model is dark-skinned, cannot set to Zone V.

dudes, you're giving TS the right answer to the wrong question. TS shld be asking if spot metering is the correct mode of metering. In this case, I would recommend an incident reading of the face to get the most appropriate reading.

Guys, don't wasting time assuming the model is "dark-skinned", if it is gonna be a model for me, it is gonna be "yellow-skinned" Chinese, so any other pointers?

Guys, don't wasting time assuming the model is "dark-skinned", if it is gonna be a model for me, it is gonna be "yellow-skinned" Chinese, so any other pointers?

lightbrush has given the best answer.. An incident light reading on the face is the best.. Don't even need to care about the skin colour. ;p If you want to get an accurate reflected light reading, you need to use a grey card.

lightbrush has given the best answer.. An incident light reading on the face is the best.. Don't even need to care about the skin colour. ;p If you want to get an accurate reflected light reading, you need to use a grey card.
So in this case, I need to buy a incident meter? Or grey card?

Status
Not open for further replies.