About Manual Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

revenant

Apr 8, 2002
collinyeo.blogspot.com
When do you use Manual Focus?

I read that when using manual focus, one have to move forward and backward till you find the "spot" where the focus is sharp. Then how about the distance set in the cam for manual focus?

hmmm manual focus means u dont use the AF function of ur cam rather u look through the view finder and adjust the focusing ring of ur cam till the image looks sharp.. U dont really need to move front and back lah...that's call recomposing....

Originally posted by revenant
What's the usefulness of it and when to use it? :dunno:

Sometimes, the auto focus can not function well, maybe due to the low light, or...

I use manual focus when...

* using a teleconverter with 75-300 lens. It's too dark for the camera to autofocus

* using a tripod to compose a shot. It's hard to keep the shutter button half-pressed and handle the tripod at the same time

* doing macro shots, when I want precise focus e.g. a certain part of a flower

* setting the focus for depth of field, not for a single object e.g. landscapes

I use autofocus when...

* I need to be fast, e.g. at weddings, although I met someone who said he did weddings with manual focus, so...

* I can easily focus and recompose

Originally posted by revenant
What's the usefulness of it and when to use it? :dunno:

I guess you are trying to justify the use of manual focus. You are asking why use MF? For me, it's why not? I don't think there's a criteria set on when you ought or ought not use manual focus. It's really up to the photographer.

Usefulness, I guess when you want to get a certain subject in focus only and not everything, then it would be useful for you to manually control the focus so you can get exactly what you want. Afterall, manual focus is not difficult though it may be more tedious.

My 2 cents.

I like manual focusing as it makes me feel thatI did something to the picture. If it's on auto.... then me being the lazybum I am will probably just be a trigger finger.... :)

Originally posted by Silverelf
I like manual focusing as it makes me feel thatI did something to the picture. If it's on auto.... then me being the lazybum I am will probably just be a trigger finger.... :)

I need to L OL...
what cam u using huh?

LOL at me being a lazybum ah??
Me currently using the koyak FM2.. :D paiseh....

LOL at the thought of MF... I thought manual zooming was enough LOL..

Yeah man.. sometimes it's like... "Now was that sharper than now... or maybe I can get it a bit better..?? Hummph... uh.... oh cripes this will do!"

Yeah man.. sometimes it's like... "Now was that sharper than now... or maybe I can get it a bit better..?? Hummph... uh.... oh cripes this will do!"

yeah I hate the split screen! I can mf better with normal screen...
my shots always a bit in front.. maybe not calibbed...
remember about DOF and COF, there's a range where the picture is sharp, not at a POINT...

get a different focusing screen lah like the E2 which make ur fm2 looks brighter and somemore got grid lines

Status
Not open for further replies.