About macro and closeup lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

wormz777

Nov 3, 2002
N/A
Can someone please enlighten me on the difference on macro and close up filters? Closer up filters is so much cheaper, why?

Does a camera like the 717 which has a macro focus distance of only 2cm still need macro lens?:dunno:

Any recommendation of macro and close up lenses like the Canon 250D or B+W close up?

p/s How do u people pronounce B+w? Just read literally??:confused:

Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by wormz777
Can someone please enlighten me on the difference on macro and close up filters? Closer up filters is so much cheaper, why?

Does a camera like the 717 which has a macro focus distance of only 2cm still need macro lens?:dunno:

Any recommendation of macro and close up lenses like the Canon 250D or B+W close up?
They're basically the same in terms of functionalities. Macro lens generally gives better quality (and are more ex) due to their lens structure (they usually have double lens elements) and are multi-coated. Double-lens element is supposed to reduce Chromatic Aberrations (purple fringing).

The built-in macro mode of digicams allow you to get real close (2cm) to the subject, but you can only do so at wide angle (no zoom). When you use zoom however, the focusing distance will increase significantly. So a close-up filter/macro lens works in a way that it reduces this focusing distance (when using zoom), so that you can get higher magnification.

Canon 250D and 500D are good macro lens, but they dun come cheap (> $100). A cheaper alternative is to get the HOYA close-up filters (<$15).

Thanks Azone for your prompt reply

Just wanna clarify something.

Say I am taking a macro shot of an insect from 2cm using the macro mode of my camera and the ant fills 80% of the frame. Does it mean that with macro lenses like 250D, I can take a similar shot (insect fills 80% of the frame) from a furthur distance like 1m away?

The close up filters are really cheap, but how bad does these compared to the macro lens? Do the various filters +1,+2 ....., +10 cost about the same price each at $15?

I am asking this cos I am really impressed by those insect shots by megaweb , yourself and the rest of the forumers here .... noticed that some of them are using D-SLRs ... can a 717 achieve similar results?

Thanks Azone for your prompt reply

Just wanna clarify something.

Say I am taking a macro shot of an insect from 2cm using the macro mode of my camera and the ant fills 80% of the frame. Does it mean that with macro lenses like 250D, I can take a similar shot (insect fills 80% of the frame) from a furthur distance like 1m away?

The close up filters are really cheap, but how bad does these compared to the macro lens? Do the various filters +1,+2 ....., +10 cost about the same price each at $15?

I am asking this cos I am really impressed by those insect shots by megaweb , yourself and the rest of the forumers here .... noticed that some of them are using D-SLRs ... can a 717 achieve similar results?
1) It depends alot on the camera's capabilities. The higher optical zoom the cam has, the higher maginification you'll have when using a macro lens. E.g., the ant will look alot bigger when taken using a 10x zoom cam compared to one taken with a 3x zoom cam, even though both cam uses the same macro lens.

Macro lens and Close-up filters usually has a fixed focusing distance. Canon 250D should gives around 20cm, a +4 close-up filters gives around 25cm, a +10 give around 10cm.

2) So far all my shots are taken with close-up filters. Quality wise IMO is not too bad compared to Macro lens. Unless you're a perfectionist and willing to pay the difference in price. The +1 to +4 costs the same. The +10 costs around $40.

3) I'm sure 717 can achieve just as good. There has been ppl taken good macros with the sony.

Azone, I am thinking of the same question as well. For my new cam(yet to decide which one), I am considering using macro lens instead of closeup instead. Do you think it is worth the paying for the extra?

Yes. Ken has achieved it. He was using 707 b4 and now using 717.

http://www3.photosig.com/viewuser.php?id=4108

One more thing. Isit the same price for different thread size of closeup filters? :dunno:

Originally posted by Falcon
Azone, I am thinking of the same question as well. For my new cam(yet to decide which one), I am considering using macro lens instead of closeup instead. Do you think it is worth the paying for the extra?
Personally, the very slight quality improvement is not exactly worth the 10 fold difference in price (250D and HOYA +4). I'm pretty happy using the HOYA.

Originally posted by Falcon
One more thing. Isit the same price for different thread size of closeup filters? :dunno:
So far 52mm and 55mm size are the same price. Not sure abt 58mm. At most a few dollars more if there is any price difference.

Originally posted by azone

Personally, the very slight quality improvement is not exactly worth the 10 fold difference in price (250D and HOYA +4). I'm pretty happy using the HOYA.

Tks azone. Then how does a +4 closeup fare against a +10 closeup. Will a +10 filter cause more distortion and drop in quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.