About lenscap

Status
Not open for further replies.

janicia

Sep 4, 2008
Singapore
Erm, just a few questions about the lenscap.

1) Do you leave the cap on when you bring your camera out? Like when you sling it around your neck, but not taking pictures yet. Just walking around and looking-kind.

2) Is it possible to string the lenscap to the camera?? Sounds abit weird if your lens is very long, but I worry about losing the lenscap. =S

Thanks~~~~

Erm, just a few questions about the lenscap.

1) Do you leave the cap on when you bring your camera out? Like when you sling it around your neck, but not taking pictures yet. Just walking around and looking-kind.

2) Is it possible to string the lenscap to the camera?? Sounds abit weird if your lens is very long, but I worry about losing the lenscap. =S

Thanks~~~~
1) nope. not for me.
2) there is, but i find it cumbersome and sometimes evens obtrusive.

personally, i'll remove the cap, place it in my pocket.
put on the lens hood and swing away.

sometimes, with hood on. i'll just swap at place in my shoulder bag facing downward.
especially i need to change lens very frequently.

except on longer tele zoom which my bag cant fit it in with the hood on.

I guess its ok to leave it on...dun tink it's so loose till it will drop off? Anyway can buy the caps in mass sales thread if lost. Personally I dun like the cap dangling while walking. :)

when I take out my camera out from the bag, I mount the lens hood, keep the lens cap back into my bag. the moment I put my lens cap on, means end of shoot, be it in studio or location shoot.

No, it looks so silly, can you imagine something dangling from you camera, like a Ah Huay handphone

hahahahaha thanks all for the replies!! was just wondering about this, so I had to ask it. Haha. like on saturday during the mid-autumn celebration, cos we were moving about and carrying things, the cam was not on the whole time, so i kept capping the lenscap back. Then it became very obvious to me that I kept doing it that I started wondering. Hahaha. Maybe i should just go buy a lens hood, but it feels weird when my lens is not very big. >.<

Removing and placing the lens cap means you will spend more time fiddling on the lens rather than looking for photo op which also equates to missing lots of nice photo!

Besides, if you want to take a picture immediately, you can just flip the switch on and take instead of removing the cap, which might make you miss "the moment".

when I take out my camera out from the bag, I mount the lens hood, keep the lens cap back into my bag. the moment I put my lens cap on, means end of shoot, be it in studio or location shoot.

No, it looks so silly, can you imagine something dangling from you camera, like a Ah Huay handphone

agree that this is the best habit to prevent you from missing shots... especially true on range finder..

Get a good UV filter and lens hood, screw it on, and you won't have to worry about the front elements of you lens.

My pro friend never has his lens cap on, even in storage and moving from location to location.

Borrowed a 70-200 2.8 from him the other day, notice there were no lens cap. Said he never bother with it, called it the "never ready" cap. So if he needs to change lenses, he would just pull it out, chuck it in and shoot.

Though to be honest, I will still put on the lens cap when the lens is dormant. Just don't feel comfortable leaving the bare glass in the open. ;p

Removing and placing the lens cap means you will spend more time fiddling on the lens rather than looking for photo op which also equates to missing lots of nice photo!

Besides, if you want to take a picture immediately, you can just flip the switch on and take instead of removing the cap, which might make you miss "the moment".

Agree... I used to put the cap almost everytime I do not take photos... but after miss a few moments, never put the cap until I put them back to my bag (and usually means I finish taking photos)

Oooo. so many opinions. =D I was thinking of just leaving the cap off when i hang the camera around my neck while walking ard, but but. I feel so paranoid that i'll scratch the filter =.= Haha. I wonder if anyone actually scratched the lens/filter when replacing the lenscap? I think I feel very paranoid cos the cam is still new. Hurhur. Probably after some time i'll get use to not using the lenscap too... lol

No I wont leave it without cap if I use popeye lens. Can't put protective / UV filter so no choice.

Last edited:
Oooo. so many opinions. =D I was thinking of just leaving the cap off when i hang the camera around my neck while walking ard, but but. I feel so paranoid that i'll scratch the filter =.= Haha. I wonder if anyone actually scratched the lens/filter when replacing the lenscap? I think I feel very paranoid cos the cam is still new. Hurhur. Probably after some time i'll get use to not using the lenscap too... lol

at first i do feel paranoid too. but now after convincing myself after few shoots, Im comfortable enough to hide my lenscap at home. Just used a filter. If gets scratched just buy a new filter lo. No lenshood cos lazy to mount on.

Don't worry so much... Just take of the da*n lens cap and shoot! The more you worry, the less you shoot.

at first i do feel paranoid too. but now after convincing myself after few shoots, Im comfortable enough to hide my lenscap at home. Just used a filter. If gets scratched just buy a new filter lo. No lenshood cos lazy to mount on.

I used to leave it on whenever I was not shooting, but now only cap it back when I keep into my bag, otherwise its just filter and no lenscap while I walk around looking for things to shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.