About laptop or iMac G4


Status
Not open for further replies.

hanqiang1011

Senior Member
Jan 22, 2005
2,553
0
0
Tiny Red Dot...
www.blitzwerkz.com
#1
Hi all,

I am a new member here. Currently a student in NAFA and does free-lance photography for CCs. I do have a problem here or whether to buy a laptop or iMac G4. As I am a student, we need a laptop soon and of course as a advertising photography student, the Adobe Creative Suite Pre is a must. Both Laptops and iMac versions cost around S$1680.

My question is since I am a student and free-lance photographer as well, would an iMac be better since many photographers using iMacs too?

Regards
:)
 

Jan 19, 2005
30
0
6
#3
nad said:
get a G4 iBook. on the cheap now.
If you can splurge a bit on the Apple PowerBook G4's 15", go ahead. I swear by Apple's PowerBook, been using their powerbook series since the Apple 1400C days, 3400C, Pismo's, G4 667Mhz, G4 17" 1Ghz and now settling with the most ideal for me in terms of size and power, the G4 1.25Ghz with 1Gb RAM, 80Gb drive, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, SuperDrive which comes in handy for those backup to DVD's and etc. This coupled with ur portable media reader in the backpack makes a complete digital photographers tool. Shoot, Backup and Edit ur shots on PS CS on the go.
 

Jia Wang

New Member
Feb 20, 2004
1,306
0
0
43
Starry Night
www.pbase.com
#4
porcupine said:
If you can splurge a bit on the Apple PowerBook G4's 15", go ahead. I swear by Apple's PowerBook, been using their powerbook series since the Apple 1400C days, 3400C, Pismo's, G4 667Mhz, G4 17" 1Ghz and now settling with the most ideal for me in terms of size and power, the G4 1.25Ghz with 1Gb RAM, 80Gb drive, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, SuperDrive which comes in handy for those backup to DVD's and etc. This coupled with ur portable media reader in the backpack makes a complete digital photographers tool. Shoot, Backup and Edit ur shots on PS CS on the go.
Wow... nice config... have to be a rich student to get this... ;p
 

Winston

New Member
May 11, 2003
638
0
0
Visit site
#5
Honestly. laptop or Apple doesnt make a diff.

Primarily advantage of Apple which makes a lot of non-techies, like designers, celebrities (Hey Fann Wong lugs ard her Powerbook too) and photographers liking it...is

1) No more "Stupid Windows updates and patches"
You patch ur Windows OS so often, I feel like I just bought a bullet-hole riddled OS (lots of holes).

2) no more "fear of the next Super virus"
No more "OMG, I got hit by the Beagle virus!" must disable System restore, download and run this Fix, update Virus definitions...etc

3) No more "Arrrgh, why did my laptop say "Illegal operation" or "your machine has just recovered from a serious error"

Etc...etc...etc...

I cant imagine Fann Wong sulking over a virus infected laptop in a hotel, thousands of miles from home, just becos she was too busy with her schedule to do a Automatic update or install the latest SP2 on windows XP.

:bsmilie:
 

Flare

New Member
Jan 24, 2002
1,734
0
0
36
Bukit Batok West Avenue 2
public.fotki.com
#6
Personally i'll recommend the ibook G4. The 12 inch is a steal right now, but the screen's a little too small for graphical work, so maybe you can take a look at the 14 inch, costing over 1k lower than the 15inch power book, and with the recent spec hikes of the ibook, the ibook isn't too much behind a power book like wat it was when it started. If you don't need the better graphic card (yes there are games for macs), dual monitor support (ibook only does cloning so you can still link it up to a projector etc and have the same screen on the ibook and screen), pc card slot, the ibook is a steal.

And frankly, for PS work, it's almost on par with my p4 2.4 ghz desktop with more ram. But when compared to a similarly priced win laptop, i think you'll throw the win laptop out 1 week later after trying to PS on it. I've tried working on win laptop, and i gave up on the idea of getting a laptop until i see how the mac perform, and the battery life when running intensive process is much better than my gf's laptop.

The ibook g4 14 inch is now speced with:
-1.33 ghz G4 processor
-256mb built in ram, with 1 user acessable slot that supports up to an additional 1 gb ram, check with any apple store, they may still have the free 256 ram upgrade when you pay with cash/nets
- 60 gb hdd (80gb an option)
- Combo drive, burns cd-r/rw, read dvd. For the price difference for the one with a dvd burning super drive, i rather get an external dvd writer. (laptop slot loading dvd burner are expensive)
- Bluetooth and wifi (airport) at an option.
 

AlexLum

New Member
Dec 24, 2003
256
0
0
44
#7
Actually what the main diff between a PowerBook & iBook?
Will user see any diff when using PS on it?
:think:
 

eel

Senior Member
Aug 14, 2003
1,182
0
36
Thomson
Visit site
#8
Maybe you can wait for a week or 2. Most likely the new PBs will be announced soon with bigger HDD capacity and faster performance along with better video cards. Just the stuff you need...
 

showtime

New Member
May 2, 2003
984
0
0
39
Singapore
Visit site
#9
AlexLum said:
Actually what the main diff between a PowerBook & iBook?
Will user see any diff when using PS on it?
:think:
surf the apple website and it will tell you all that you need. and using ps, not much difference. just the diff in processor speed.
 

kerpalz

Senior Member
Dec 18, 2003
2,147
1
38
TheDaysMovie.com
#10
dude... check out macuser.org.sg for more details.... lotsa maces are in there...i oso wanna get a mac ibook/powerbook... wonder where got installment scheme...
 

Jan 12, 2005
286
0
0
41
Singapore, Bedok
#11
I think for PS, the most useful thing a powerbook has over the ibook is the ability to use dual display... i'm using a 12" powerbook G4 now and the screen is definitely too small for doing PS work without ur eyes popping out.... however, when u add a dual 17" display, u can put all ur toolbars on your 12" powerbook screen while having the whole 17" display to do your editing work.... it works great for me... :)

just my 2 cents... :)
 

nightpiper

Senior Member
Oct 20, 2003
2,152
0
0
#12
i think the biggest diff between a ibook & powerbook is the 'power'. :p

the powerbook runs faster.

btw, if u wish to get an apple computer, remember to download their latest security update. here's an old news patch for OS 10.3 to 10.3.5 & its a 88MB download. :)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/10/apple_osx_10-3-5/


i m using G4s & G5s in my office so i already know that apple is not for me in the near future (they crash too even in OS X). still prefer the PC cos it not only just works, but works logically for me. ;p
 

Jan 8, 2005
218
0
0
#13
kerpalz said:
dude... check out macuser.org.sg for more details.... lotsa maces are in there...i oso wanna get a mac ibook/powerbook... wonder where got installment scheme...
Yup, i got my G4 PB 15" under the Citibank installment scheme. I think for CitiBank, Standard Chart and DBS can stretch the installment to 2 years, the rest of the CC is 1 year. Theres a one time 3.6% interest. :)
 

Wai

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
5,270
0
36
39
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
#14
frenchbean said:
I think for PS, the most useful thing a powerbook has over the ibook is the ability to use dual display... i'm using a 12" powerbook G4 now and the screen is definitely too small for doing PS work without ur eyes popping out.... however, when u add a dual 17" display, u can put all ur toolbars on your 12" powerbook screen while having the whole 17" display to do your editing work.... it works great for me... :)

just my 2 cents... :)
i can connect my ibook 12" to my 20" LCD at 1600 x 1200

all u need is to install an utility to enable dual display ;p
 

Jan 12, 2005
286
0
0
41
Singapore, Bedok
#15
Wai said:
i can connect my ibook 12" to my 20" LCD at 1600 x 1200

all u need is to install an utility to enable dual display ;p
that's cool... wat utility might u be using? might come in handy with my fren's ibook... :)
 

nightpiper

Senior Member
Oct 20, 2003
2,152
0
0
#16
just a little update on critical security patch for Macs.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/14/itunes_security_flap/

the news is published on the 14 Jan this year. so i think its quite up to date. also news has it that apple will release a G5 based powerbook somewhere in the 2nd half of this year. if u can wait a little longer, go get the G5 instead of the slower G4.

:cheers:
 

sleeper

New Member
Jun 23, 2004
39
0
0
Melbourne
#18
on a side note if you order your apple products online and pay thru credit card you can apply for a student discount which is 20% if i remember correctly. because its online they don't check. The guy who delivers it is supposed to check, but out of all of my friends including me who've done this, we've never been checked once......used to get my friend who was is a student to order for me for the student price, but he always tell me the guy who come and deliver never check anything, just sign for the item whne the delivery guy comes.......
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom