about GND Filters

SotonG5983

Feb 8, 2009
Tampines
Hi all, im new to using GND filters or ND filters, i was wondering if my lens is covered by a protective layer of UV filter followed by 3 layer of GND filter, will it cause any colour cast or do u guys remove the UV filter in order to take pics with GND/ND filters?

Why on earth do you want 3 GND filters???

Every piece of glass added in front of a lens reduces image quality. The UV filter does, as does each of the GND filters.

Every piece of glass added in front of a lens reduces image quality. The UV filter does, as does each of the GND filters.

maybe his sky very bright:bsmilie:

Hi, you should remove UV filter to use ND/GND filters, because it might as you say, introduce color cast, and also degrade IQ, and increase chance of flaring, ghosting, etc.

In short, the less glass in between the scene and your lens front element, the better.

Wah, don't like that la, he happy can already :bsmilie: Anyway, the answer is by right, no, since GND and ND are NEUTRAL, hence the N though IIRC, there are talks of some 10 stop filter? Not really sure giving a colour cast, but by right shouldn't have

You'll probably encounter vignetting due to the stacking of filters, the image quality may be degraded when more than one filter is used. Suggest you remove your UV fliter.

if u are using b+w ND filters, it does gives a color cast, irregardless how many filters u are stacking on.

and i agree with the rest, please use as less filters as possible.

i always took out my UV filter when i use my ND filter.

Thx for the helpful info, however i heard from some photographers that it is best not to use too many stack of filters but if needed, they say max is stack up to 2 filter only. If i am wrong pls correct me. thx

Thx for the helpful info, however i heard from some photographers that it is best not to use too many stack of filters but if needed, they say max is stack up to 2 filter only. If i am wrong pls correct me. thx

Depending on the lights in the frame you might get some nice flare effects. Cheap UV filters will guarantee you flares, quality filters are more subtle or reserved here. Adding more filters in front will only increase the effect, never remove it.
The colour casts in ND / GND are there, just search here for Tianya filters the the respective discussions. Reason is that the filters block visible light in neutral way, but they don't block IR in the same way. That causes the colour cast. Shooting RAW helps here, correct the colour cast later.
Using a white card and taking a test pic will give you a nice reference point for corrections later.

Last edited:

TS, why don't you try it and find out for yourself. Digital image does'nt cost you anything.

Put your camera on a tripod and do the following; keep the aperture and ISO constant.

1. Shoot one picture with no filter on

2. Shoot one picture with one filter on

3. Shoot one picture with two filters on

4. Shoot one picture with three filters on

After this experiment, you can tell us what you see :)

It's just a rough guide and I have to agree, but if you think your photograph needs more than 2 filters, why not?

Just make sure you are clear what each filter does, and whether you need it when shooting. If it doesn't achieve any purpose and you are just stacking for fun, then obviously you know what to do. :)

Think what you heard has been conveyed above here actually, wonder if you have read the replies. :dunno:

No worries on stacking filters. Still can shoot. See this http://www.petapixel.com/2010/12/09/when-protecting-your-lens-goes-too-far/#

lensprotection2.jpg