About Fuji e-pics and cropping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny

Sep 30, 2002
Visit site
Hi all

What are your opinions on Fuji e-pics, for developing digital prints? I had mine done and had mixed thoughts. First, Color and print are ok, not too bad actually, but other thing i was pissed off with is the way they ignore your instructions. I told them to fit the pix if some of them don't fit the 4R size, but most were badly cropped! Maybe it's because i did not give good instructions and expect them to know what i am talking about. What gives? Any comments?

Also one more question. I am sure i had cropped my pix to 4x3 before sending it to Fuji. But still most of them got cropped. And the cropping was atrocious! Snipped off the subject's ears when they could jolly well crop on the other side with excess space. I don't know. Could some one comment on this please? Besides cropping to fixed aspect ratios, must i tweak anything else (in PS7 Image>Image size)? I am very disappointed with the cropping done by them nevertheless.

All contributions will be much appreciated. Thanks all.

Maybe it depends on the lab you chose for printing?

Anyway, the correct ratio for a 4R size pic is 3:2, not 4:3.

Also, I had a misunderstanding once with a lady at the ColourLab @ Adelphi, and she thought when I mentioned the word "fit", to add REALLY thick white borders all around the picture (even when the ratio was already 3:2). Dunno where she got THAT idea. :rolleyes:

Of course, I raised hell, and finally got to talk to the more knowledgeable dude in the lab, and they replaced my prints for free. Thank goodness! Those were expensive Super 8R (8x12) prints!

As for cropping, I don't really like leaving things to chance, so I crop the pics myself to the correct ratio.

Thanks Que Lynn for your reply.

Oh yes 3:2, my bad. One dumb question, what's the diff between 3:2 and 4:6?

Guess we have to speak to the dude who knows what is going on than any other sales person.

Originally posted by Jonny
Thanks Que Lynn for your reply.

Oh yes 3:2, my bad. One dumb question, what's the diff between 3:2 and 4:6?

Guess we have to speak to the dude who knows what is going on than any other sales person.

If you remember your math, 8:12 = 4:6 = 2:3

Regards
CK

Oh yes i still do, that's why i say it's dumb. But more specifically, does it matter if its 4:6 or 2:3 when u crop on PS? Doh! Stoopid me.

Thanks dude. (Still feeling stupid :p)

try photohub.com

When they cropped wrongly for me, I usually can request them to be reprinted at no extra charge. I collect them at 35mm at Bukit Timah. They are very patient and friendly.

If you give instruction for image to fit, They will cut off the black borders so that the final print will be smaller than 4R.

Hi Snow, thanks for the reply.

Do they have an online service? They are based in Bt Timah? Too far for me. Well, from what u described i think that's great service man!

You have hit the dreaded Fuji Frontier machine software bug. I had exactly the same experience despite cropping to 4:3. I was so pissed I complained and spoke to a Fuji film engineer.

This bug affects all PS6/7 pictures. The Fuji Frontier machine needs an upgrade. Only 2 known shops have the upgrade (6 mths ago). One at Raffles place and another at Tampines (see the site for exact address).

Good luck. Other than that, the prints are good.

Hi all

What are your opinions on Fuji e-pics, for developing digital prints? I had mine done and had mixed thoughts. First, Color and print are ok, not too bad actually, but other thing i was pissed off with is the way they ignore your instructions. I told them to fit the pix if some of them don't fit the 4R size, but most were badly cropped! Maybe it's because i did not give good instructions and expect them to know what i am talking about. What gives? Any comments?

All contributions will be much appreciated. Thanks all.

Hi Java

I believe it is 3:2 ratio u are using. 4:3 will definitely be cropped. Correct me if i am wrong. At least that's for 4R.

Hi Java

I believe it is 3:2 ratio u are using. 4:3 will definitely be cropped. Correct me if i am wrong. At least that's for 4R.

Cropped for 4R. 6x4. The above is a typo. :)

I realise one mistake I make.

Sometimes when I resize the photo I shoot (from 1280x960 to 1800x1200etc) and save with the same file name.. the exif info is retained!!!

That will cause trouble for the lab to print. So actually it is my fault :embrass:

As for photohub.com, they have 2 lab to process, one in Bukit Timah (using Fuji archive paper) and one in OUB centre, raffles place (using kodak paper)...

Hey Snow dude

I am a noob, so can u please please furhter explain what u mean? How to change the exif as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.