About Dell Inspiron Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

zola70

Apr 7, 2005
Telok Blangah
s109.photobucket.com
Hi,

Anyone out there recently bought a Dell Inspiron Notebook? Care to share how is this Dell notebook. I'm think of getting one Dell Inspiron 6000 series NB but not to sure if it is good. Anyway my budget not exceeding 2.1K. Any other good brand & model recommendation not exceeding my budget?

My budget configuration:
- PM Centrino 1.73GHz - 2GHz
- 512MB DDR or 1GB DDR
- 60GB - 80GB hard disk
- At least 15" screen
- DVD writer
- Built-in Lan, Modem, Bluetooth & Card reader if possible.

Thank you.:)

Hey Dude.

I am using DELL. (my 2nd actually).
Anyway, DELL is quite a good notebook. And rugged too.
DEpending on your need. DO you gonna carry it often? Wieght make such a difference.
(To be frank, all time favourite is IBM (had 2 of them before too) ..... more sturdier built. But lousy battery life).

chk out Acer's notebook. Their pricing is normally quite gd and pack with gd specs too.

If possible by extended warranty.

Waz said:
Hey Dude.

I am using DELL. (my 2nd actually).
Anyway, DELL is quite a good notebook. And rugged too.
DEpending on your need. DO you gonna carry it often? Wieght make such a difference.
(To be frank, all time favourite is IBM (had 2 of them before too) ..... more sturdier built. But lousy battery life).

Hi,

Never know that IBM notebook battery life is lousy. So how is Dell battery life? Anyway I not going to bring it out of the house only move from room to room or to hall use only. by the way how is the backup service from Dell?

Thank you.

the other time i was shopping for a notebook for my fren. here's wat i heard...

Dell use 3rd party parts, and when there is a breakdown, they take a long while to service, because their main office is in penang.

Acer used to be pretty screwed up for their NBs, but seemed to have improved. they give like the best specs for the lowest prices! and they have a express 2 hr recovery service at their service centre in jurong. recently checked out my friend's Acer Ferarri Carbon Fibre NB, that one was damn cool, but the price :sweat:

Thank you Wainism & Ozora for the recommendation.

If Dell's notebook really have bad review, my next alternative will be Acer or Asus. I've seen some good specs which price within my budget. The model I looking at are:

1.) Acer Travelmate 4152LMi
2.) Asus A35E17DL

Anyone own the above model and how is Asus's notebook?

Thank you.

i just call dell regarding my laptop 700m dvd rom cannot read disc,the courier send me a replacement the very next working day.That's fast.:thumbsup:
Theirs is on site warrenty whereby acer is carry in.
i changed a ACER notebook screen,within 1 month spoilt again,gave up on ACER already.

Dell's are pretty good - make sure you get the 3 year next business day warranty. After 1.5 years, my LCD screen died when I was in London - they sent someone to replace it with a new screen the next day. After 2.5 years, one of the PCMCIA ports failed, they sent someone to replace the whole motherboard the next day. These two incidents more than paid for the extra cost of extending the standard 1 year next business day warranty to 3 years.

Still using the laptop after 4.5 years since purchase. Will be retiring it soon though.

Not many vendors have next business day on-site response, a lot fo the others are all carry in, so if something goes wrong, you'll be without your laptop for a while.

Just something to consider.

alamak...kena conned by the salesman again!

but in this case, DELL is :thumbsup:

wainism said:
the other time i was shopping for a notebook for my fren. here's wat i heard...

Dell use 3rd party parts, and when there is a breakdown, they take a long while to service, because their main office is in penang.

your friend heard wrong... very wrong, I had a dell laptop before, when I had parts breaking down, the replacement is usually within 3 days, the guy will come over to my home to get it done, super convienent.

In fact because dell's main office is in Penang, that's y the service is so fast, let me explain. Because of my numerous experience with my dell parts breaking down, I did about 4 service calls during my 1st year, I learnt (or at least that's my impression) that Dell subcontracted out the servicing to a 3rd party. The 3rd party company does not care about cost cutting or anything, at long as you have some parts damaged or malfunctioning, they will do a simple investigation and he will swap parts for you. Once the screw came lose for my laptop's monitor, the hinge won't hold properly. After a service call, the guy came down and did a full replacement for the screen instead of just tightening the screw.

Even though dell's laptop is hardy, it seems to be quite prone to damage. Anyway, with their price and their level of service, I would still recommend Dell. You have the peace of mind that they are very prompt, and very willing to solve your problem themselve.This contrast alot from what I read about other brands where they will take a long time to investigate and will either 1) push the blame back to the customer or 2) push the blame to their other manufacturer.

cheers

Hehe... I second that... Dell has good service and all their ports are up to specs.... never had USB with not enough juice for some portable harddisk.:)

I won't touch Acer with a ten foot poll.... breaks down too easily and they don't seem too keen on parts replacement. They rather have you send it in for a couple of days... that's a real bummer! Just some of the horror stories I heard from friends.

Thank you to all who share your review on Dell & Acer notebook. Most likely I might go for Dell's notebook.

By the way, Gooseberry where did you purchase your Dell notebook? Online or at the show room at Suntec City or else where? Thanks.

for Dell u purchase online cheaper!

zola70 said:
Thank you to all who share your review on Dell & Acer notebook. Most likely I might go for Dell's notebook.

By the way, Gooseberry where did you purchase your Dell notebook? Online or at the show room at Suntec City or else where? Thanks.

Got it online in Australia... usually get cheaper deals online.

What about HP/Compaq and Toshiba. And IBM. Saw the screen of the Toshiba - real cool for display of pictures - very sharp and contrasty. But becos of the glossy screen, might be having reflection problem. BTW, what are your views on the new glossy screens that are now on most notebooks in the market. Would it be somewhat distracting, seeing the reflection of your face and your shirt on the screen?

If you have a big budget, IBM is another good contender. Scores high in reliability and ergonomics - they have the best keyboards around. But some people don't like the black-boxy design; I think it's cool-looking though. Owned a Thinkpad for 4 years before it drown in tea.

What I heard about Toshiba, though, is that in the recent years their product standard has kinda dropped. Not as reliable as before (perhaps only for their lower-end models).

HP/Compaq also offers good value-for-money models; using a Compaq Presario notebook now and so far so good. Hope no big problems after the warranty is over.

zola70 said:
Hi,

Anyone out there recently bought a Dell Inspiron Notebook? Care to share how is this Dell notebook. I'm think of getting one Dell Inspiron 6000 series NB but not to sure if it is good. Anyway my budget not exceeding 2.1K. Any other good brand & model recommendation not exceeding my budget?

My budget configuration:
- PM Centrino 1.73GHz - 2GHz
- 512MB DDR or 1GB DDR
- 60GB - 80GB hard disk
- At least 15" screen
- DVD writer
- Built-in Lan, Modem, Bluetooth & Card reader if possible.

Thank you.:)

I jus order inspiron 6000...quite good specs at only $1549.... 1.73Ghz wif 512 RAM....100G HDD, DVD writer......tink got SD card reader......but bluetooth need pay additonal of 20 plus

if I rem correctly, the E-value code is M511045-WEB

i got the dell inspiron 6000, everything you wanted but its a 1.6 gig centrino. Plus 1 gig RAM.

only 1699. Dell often have big savings from time to time, so look out for it.

I'm pretty happy with my 3 weeks old dell notebook. Wide screen, looks good (silver, white sides on black base)

Dell D510

Hi ! All

I have a brand new Dell to sell.
Any takers ?
Got it free when renewing our office Singnet Broadband

Interested party, please drop me a mail asap.
Thanks !

currently dell offer of inspirion 6000 looks very good for the pricing.:thumbsup:

But again,they have very good deals online sometimes.
i always have a slightly cheaper quote from my reg dell sales rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.